Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need advice for ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice for ATV

Hello all,

As this is my first post, here are a few word to introduce myself. Name is Harold, French, 40, live in Utah since last August.

I have been given a chance to get onto a Yamaha wolverine 450 cc. I really liked it.

My wife and I agreed on buying a couple of ATVs.

I have read through the posts here, read reviews ...

We need something comfy et easy to ride (my wife is less than 5 foot and is suffering from arthritis)

We just wanna go outside, on trails, wanna be able to get to the mountains around Utah lake and deserts. Also, we wanna be able to have one kid riding behind us

I was thinking Yamaha grizzly 350 IRS auto.

Is it a good choice? any equivalent in other brands ?
Is there much difference between the 350 and the 450...

We wanna have fun, I wanna be able to get in the mountains with my blind and camera equipment.

Do we need the full protection gear or helmet, gloves and good shoes will be OK ?

If I get 2 atv's, trailer, and gears, what kind of % discount could I get ?

Thanks
H.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wolverine is kind of a hybrid, so it isn't really a full on utility....if you think that is what you need.

Take a look at the Honda Ranchers. The older model is a 350 and the newer is a 420 with fuel injection and water cooled. Manual transmission and solid reliable machines. They are SRA (which I prefer for stability), but doesn't sound like you are going to be doing hard-core anyway.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome to the forum!!!! Ther are allot of gys on here that have been around quads a long time and are willing to help you out. Hope this post helps you out.

If price is a issue look at the polaris sport line witch includes the Trailboss 330,Trailblazer 330 and for a 4x4 the Scrambler 500 all are full auto and I see allot of older people [not that you are] using these for leisuly trail machine's!

If you want IRS you can also checkout the Sportsman 300 or 400!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your wife sure would appreciate IRS and a cvt tranny. 4x4 can be a bonus depending on trail conditions, but unless you purposely look for mud runs or like to ride in the snow, it isn't necessary. Looking to carry equipment like a blind and such you will need racks as on a ute. Please, if you are thinking of riding double, look into the laws governing the areas you wish to recreate in. Some places will not allow 2-up riding on 1-up machines. There are quads designed and marketed for this though they are pricey. Other alternatives would be a side by side(these may not be allowed on some trails as they are all over 50" and 1000lbs except the Polaris Razr) or getting the kid an age appropriate quad of their own.

Helmet, goggles, long sleeve shirt and pants, and a sturdy pair of over the ankle boots are the basics that I would never ride without.

You may get a larger discount with the multiple purchase. This will vary dealer to dealer and many don't sell trailers. All will give you a discount at time of purchase for accessories and safety gear, it is a good idea to at least use it for the helmets so you can try some on and get a proper fit.

Good luck shopping. The Yamaha would be a good buy I think. Most manufacturers have something in that size class as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

piketpic,
I also live in UT, and have ridden in the area you describe for decades. I would suggest something other than the Wolverine for your intended use. It is fairly stiff riding compared to the IRS machines, and does not have racks. The Grizzly 400 4x4 would be a good economical ATV. The Grizzly 400s engine is only 20cc smaller than the Grizzly 450s engine, and it cost $500 less. You don't get the front locker, or low range, but for where you are riding and for new riders you may not even get into the terrain where you need a locker up front. The Honda Rancher is another good ATV, but the ride is a little stiffer once again, because of the solid rear axle.

Helmets and basic protective clothing like described above are a necessity.

Most manufacturers will give you a free helmet if you take an ATV safety course when you purchase the ATVs. The safety course is a good idea anyway, and everyone in our family has taken the course.

And if I may suggest a dealer ... I have purchased a number of different ATVs over the years, from several different dealers, and have even lived in different ends of our state over that time frame. The best dealer I have ever worked with is Carbon Emery Motorsports, in Helper, UT (just outside of Price, UT). Talk to Brad or Tom, and you will get a fair deal. I still drive from Cedar City to Price to get an ATV. They sell Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Polaris.

And welcome to the forum, and to this great sport of ATVing. You're in for a lot of fun. Also check out ATVutah.com, which has tons of information on ATV trails, maps, GPS coordinates, Jamboree's, you name it.

DV

Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

With the wolverine the only thing you can bring alone is what fits in your pockets. As for Comfy you have to go with IRS there is no straight axle that will isolated the rider from rough terrain like a IRS machine. Easy to ride is a full automatic ATV,no gears to decide if your in the right power band, plus there is not many foot shifting ATVs to choose from any longer.

I think you guessed right with the 350 Grizzly IRS.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Many thanks to all.

I did a little bit more research.
I heard that I should go for fuel injection:
- a carburetor would require more adjustments depending of altitude
- after the winter, injection will start no problem when a carburetor might require a clean (a colleague at work has both and says injection is hassle free) As I do not know anything about engines, I would feel more comfy with this...

I have also been advised to get the liquid cooled engine

So, keeping an eye and my wishing list (utility, auto, 2x4, 4x4, IRS, fuel inject and price), I visited some dealers.

The Suzuki King quad 450axi seems to be a winner.

I also visited a place, they sell Chinese imports... very cheap... but no where to check for reviews, as they have no brand names.
I am very wary of those, knowing that the Chinese cars are not allowed in Europe as they fail the crash tests.

I went to Honda dealership, no salesman avail, only a lady a customer service desk. She did not know the different models. She said the IRS is not as stable when carrying a passenger (more risks to tip over) is it true?. Also, those are semi auto... my wife don't wanna deal with changing gears at all.
Yamaha Grizzly are not fuel injected...

Also: is a winch necessary?

Thanks again

Harold

Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only IRS with EFI are pricey 650cc and up big bores. You need 5000 ft or geater for a carb to need rejetting, As for cold start up we ride all winter up here in Northern Ontario Canada (See pics). The ATVs start up like nothing even our Snowmobiles have carbs?

I jumped on a EFI version of my ATV and I just don,t get the EFI thing, both bikes start up when need be and go on there Mary way,carb or EFI. The Efi on ATV as just thottle bodies anyways not anything high tech.

Throttle Body Injection is the most simple type of EFI and the closest to carburetion in operation. Fuel is injected above the throttle blade by one fuel injector nozzles. Both fuel and air are carried throughout the entire intake tract.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I think the atv you are looking for is a Polaris 500 x2 they have EFI, IRS, auto trans built for two people to ride at one time and tons of storage! Plus polaris has what we in here on the forum call the cadillac of suspensions!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

I think the atv you are looking for is a Polaris 500 x2 they have EFI, IRS, auto trans built for two people to ride at one time and tons of storage! Plus polaris has what we in here on the forum call the cadillac of suspensions!</end quote></div>

Sure, it looks like a great machine, but too pricy for me ... I wanna buy 2 ATVs.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: need advice for ATV