Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need advice for ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice for ATV

You are going to have a hard time finding all of thoughs features at a cheeper lower price or at least I cannot come up w/ any other manufacturer that has anything that does!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI
If you want IRS you can also checkout the Sportsman 300 or 400!</end quote></div>

Those looks nice and comfy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Price is good also.

they are not fuel injected, but if not necessary, it would be a great option too ...

So now, it would be between the King quad 450axi and the polaris sportman 400 ... hum... I need to do more reading.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Lose the EFI thing (its limiting your selection) and then shop around. Any ,I mean "ANY" carburated ATV made will start and run in any temperature. Unless someone told you a ATV had EFI or a carb you would not tell the difference while riding,unlike IRS were and blind deaf person would know if it was so equipped right off the hop.

Here is a good shopping info site.

Just select the make and model or year for specs and price.

The 450 KQ is pretty pricy for a 450.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, for Utah EFI does help quite a bit. Our Rhino is carburated, and it runs great in St. George (2500 ft. elevation), it runs good in Cedar City (6000 ft. elevation), and it chokes, gags, sputters, and looses about 50% of its power up on Cedar Mountain (10,000 ft. elevation). Our Grizzly 700 is fuel injected, and it runs like a raped ape everywhere.

The Rhino seems to be a bit more fussy with carburation than other carburated ATVs I've had, with the exception of a Rincon 650 that was also a pain in the jetting department. In general though, other carburated ATVs have ran acceptably at most altitudes I encounter in Utah. Grizzly 660s and Grizzly 450s have been fine once they are jetted for Utah. Jet them for ~5000 ft. elevation, and they are close enough to work ok all the way down to 2000 ft. and all the way up to 9000 ft. Above 9000 ft. and they will still be way down on power, and tend to chug and sputter a bit. But you will get by ok, because you really wont be spending that much time above that elevation. I don't think fuel injection is mandatory, and ATVs with fuel injection are certainly more expensive. In general you are going to want to go down three sizes on the main jet in the carb of an ATV for riding in Utah. The ATVs come with jets that are for sea level. A good dealer will rejet the carb for you for free before you even pick it up from the dealership if you ask them to. A not so good dealer will feed you a line about the ATV needing the rich jets in the carb for engine break in, and make you bring it back and pay them to rejet it at the first service.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: piketpik

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

If you want IRS you can also checkout the Sportsman 300 or 400!</end quote></div>

Those looks nice and comfy [IMG][/IMG]

Price is good also.

they are not fuel injected, but if not necessary, it would be a great option too ...

So now, it would be between the King quad 450axi and the polaris sportman 400 ... hum... I need to do more reading.</end quote></div>

Of these two choices I'd go for the Suzuki. I belive it just won one of the atv magazines [not shure witch one] 500 shootouts!

I do reccomend EFI though if you will be riding at high alt. I can tell that there is a big throttle response diffrence between my Popo 600 and the Yami 700here in CO. Its a nice feature to have and in my oppinion it the firs feature I would worry about next would be the IRS!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

So,

I went with my wife to have a test drive of the 450 AXi kingquad. The store as a track !

I liked it, but it was to difficult for my wife to steer.

We also test drove the Can am outlander 650 max (2 seats). What a experience, it was great !
Smooth, easy, I loved it and my wife was happy at the back of it. Would the 400cc be powerful enough ?

I still need to get to the Polaris dealer to compare their equivalent 2 seater's.

That would be for my ATV [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

As the second ATV, would it be easier to steer if my spouse was riding a 250 cc or a 350?
She is ready to forget about the fully automatic, automatic clutch would do.
She's 4'10 for 92 lbs, she needs the saddle to be narrower than the big quads.

Thanks very much again for your inputs.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the wife needs to park her kester on a few to see what is comfy, That is how my wife decided on her machine. Her main complaints were seat is too wide or too hard. She finally opted for an outy 400XT after sitting on at least 30 machines.