Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda 420 vs Yamaha grizz 450

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 420 vs Yamaha grizz 450

I've been reading for the last couple weeks now on boht these models but still undecided on which to get. Maybe someone here can help out?

First off I live in southern Californias high desert, bout 4000 ft. Most of my riding will be long rutted desert trails and rock crawling or boulder crawling in my case. Also will be working around my property, pulling a trailer and maybe a brush hog if I can find one to hook up behind the machine.
I was looking at the Rancher first since I've actually ridden a couple older models and thought they would be perfect for my needs. I really like the FI of the 07& 08s, but am partial to doing my own work on my machines and don't know enough about the FI systems. Are they fairly easy to work on? Do they need much maintenance and can they be diagnosed without computerized tools?

Then I started reading about the Grizz 450. Seems to be well suited for what I need out of a quad, but really didn't want an automatic transmission. I've never actually ridden one so don't know if I'd like it or not. I do like the IRS, diff locker and guages offered with it though. Even little things like the 12v adapter and adjustable suspension make this one sound like the winner over the Rancher. But since I can't test ride either one I really am stuck here.

I can either one for about the same price. Right around $5600, maybe even cheaper for the Rancher if I want an 07.
Maybe someone with some experience on both bikes could help me out, or even someone riding the same kind of terrain with experience on either bike?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the machines in this class. They aren't too huge or heavy, yet they get the job done!

Did a San Bernardino Mountain snow ride last winter with a Griz 450, and being IRS I expected it to do better than the Rancher in the deep snow. Know what, it (and a Griz 660 and some big bore IRS machines) didn't get any fruther up the trail before it high centered than my Rancher did!!! It's owner complained that it was underpowered.

I have had my Rancher 420 about 1.5 years now, and it has been absolutely flawless (and I have a 10 year old Rancher 350 as well that has been absolutely trouble free)! The FI works great even at 12,000' in the Sierras, and requires no maintenance. I like the tight stable planted sport quad feel of the SRA, vs the sloppy body roll feel of IRS (when you are sideways and off-camber on the side of a steep hill, you will know what I mean!). Ground clearance under the rear brake is a little low, but a change in tires bumps mine up by 2" for the snow. I even go rock crawling out at Calico with the stock tires, and run circles around the Jeeps!

The torque sensing front drive on the Rancher works just fine. It has something like a 70/30% bias (70% power goes to the wheel with traction), and I have never ever felt like I needed lockers or any of the many "features" that come on a lot of machines (and just drive up the price!).

As for belt drive automatic transmissions, I like a good old time proven gear-on-gear manual where I can pick my ratio myself. Plus, Honda puts on a really low "granny gear" 1st gear instead of a transfer case, so you aren't having to go in and out of low case all the time. I hate it out on a ride when the belt drive guys have to stop everybody while they get into low case at the bottom of a hill.....

Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Red Rider

When you get a machine, let us know if you are looking for folks to ride with. We have a group of guys from here in the forum, and we do rides now and then....both 4X4 kind of stuff as well as sport quad/dirt bike rides.

Our next big outing is the Inyos Memorial Day weekend: http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/swansea.html

In the early summer, the Sierras in the Bishop/Mammoth area and Kennedy Meadows:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/laurel.htm

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/wheeler.html

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/whites.html

http://www.sneakersmc.com/bishopmaps.htm

Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

I have the 420 and am still quite impressed with it. I use it for hunting, fishing, camping, and joy riding. It's a very fun powerful machine. I'm pleased with the power and handling of it. I have the foot **** and it works quite well. I'll be getting a plow next winter. It has no seedo or any other digital display but it doesn't bother me. I have my gps attached to it and has all those features. The stock tires are ok but I would like to change them eventually. I also have a winch on it, which bailed me out a few times in the backcountry. I was supprised at the rough terrain this machine can take, very suprised actually. I'd highly recommend this machine to anyone. I have not tried the Grizz though

Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys, but I ended up buying an 02 Grizzly 660. Price was right and I was tired of haggling with dealers and their "extra fees".
Reconranger, those rides look like fun, but I don't get much time these days. How long are these trips? 1 day? A weekend? Longer?
I'm lucky if I get to ride a couple hours a week lately. That would be something I'd have to plan months in advance! lol

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Red Rider

We usually do long weekends, but with the price of gas we may do fewer trips per season but of longer duration.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I AGREE. THE 420 IS GREAT. I LOVE THE ACCELERATION. I AM CURIOUS I SEE YOU HAVE BEEN HERE A LONG TIME AND AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD SET OF MUD TIRES, CURERENTLY HAVE 26" ITP TERRA CROSS, THEY ARE GREAT FOR JUST TRAIL RIDING BUT SUCK IN THE MUD. I HAVE BEEN LOOCKING AT 27 9 14
SWAMPLITE XTR'S? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Red Rider

It's a mistake to ask a bunch of desert riders about mud tires!!!

My experience with the Rancher has been the big tires adversely effect handling (bump steer and the front fights me in 4wd). I do run ITP Holeshot ATR's in the snow, but I pull them off in the spring and go back to the stock tires for the other 3 seasons.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY THANKS. NOT MUCH DESERT IN SOUTH CAROLINA, MOSTLY MUDDY SWAMPS. I MAY TRY THEM OUT AND LET YALL KNOW HOW THEY PERFORM.