Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying my First ATV - Looking for comparison between brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying my First ATV - Looking for comparison between brands

As you shop around, here's some things that are nice to have:

Power steering - As you have mentioned. I've never used it but who hasn't gotten slammed by the bars when you have dropped a front wheel into a hole or hit a stump.
IRS - A real back saver for those long rides. I feel much better after a full day of riding now that I've gone back to IRS.
Guages - I haven't seen any fuel guage that is accurate but knowing that my bike averages 20 MPG and watching the trip meter lets me know what kind of range I have on long rides.
EFI - Can't say enough good things about this one. No choke to mess with plus it's ideal if you hit the high altitudes.
Better tires - Most stock tires are pretty flimsy 2 plys. There is an amazing difference with an aftermarket heavier tire. Some manufacturers offer upgrades to good tires in package deals (like Can-Am's XT package)
Camo - I would have never considered camo plastic, especially since it usually runs about $300 more to purchase. But I bought a slightly used bike in camo and will probably never get any other finish ever again. Doesn't show any scratches and a simple hose-off makes it look clean.

BTW, I usually average about 10 to 12 MPH on our rides. I did take the Outlander up to 70 MPH several times last week but I was riding on straight and open trails in Wisconsin. I can't (and don't want to ) try that on our Tennessee trails. It handled very well at that speed but it's not something that I'll be doing often.

Jaybee

Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my First ATV - Looking for comparison between brands

I tell you the white color on the Rincon looks great to me. On the Grizzly the black special edition or blue has caught my eye. I may give the camo a look but I kinda figured everyone was buying camo so I was sort of bypassing it. The scratch bit is something to be considered, maybe I'll give it another look.

70 is way beyond what I would do. Not that I think it is a problem but this instinct for self-preservation keeps kicking in and I back off the throttle, not that I think either Honda I rode could get that fast. :-)