Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

thinking of buying Yamaha Kodiak 450 Diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying Yamaha Kodiak 450 Diff

First off, me a newbie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have been talking about buying an ATV for a few months, one for me and one for my kiddies. Kids will be 7 and 5, so they will definitely need a smaller ATV than mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Three wekends ago my family took a trip down to the Volunteer State to do a fmaily reunion, it was good! While there, my uncle grabbed me out of the family reunion and convinced my young son (who will be 5 next week) to go to his home. He fired up his 2002 (or was it 2001) Yamaha 450 Kodiak Diff, and he had an attachment to it so we could ride in the back. We had a blast and my boy kept talking about it for the next 3 days [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Since that first ride and the trip back home, I've been looking for a used one.

Came across a used 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Diff with only 73 hrs/618mi which is low to me. I have not seen it but this is not too far from me. It appears to be an older couple because guy said he got this on an extended trip out west for his wife to ride as she did not like dirt bikes for trail riding. The asking price is $3500 OBO.

I am a hunter and this is what I will be using this ATV for, as well as trail riding when I get my kids their ATV. I may be buying some land and this will help working on the land.

Here are a couple of questions. Does the price look good for this type of ATV? Are Diff really needed on an ATV? My uncle says get one with less than 2000 miles and preferably one that is not beaten up and did not come from the mountains. Also he states that he may eventually sell his and said with his having 632 miles on it, he thinks he can get $3000 or a little less for his 2002 model...my uncle does not ride much anymore as its hard for him to walk let alone climb on his ATV. With this information about his ATV and his expected price (he got it for $3,000 about 4 years ago or so and has not put a whole lot of miles on it), this makes me think the 2006 Kodiak Diff this guy has not too far from me is a good deal? What do you guys think? I think this is the automatic and electric start. Let me know the pros/cons of getting this versus looking for another one. I will definitely buy used but am not in a hurry unless this is really a good deal.

Also I don't have a truck to haul around and I know you don't buy the wagon before buying the horses! I am thinking of getting a used 2005/06 Toyota Tacoma and was wondering if the Kodiak will fit in the bed? You know the newer Tacomas have a composite bed and was wondering if this will hold up? I have seen people mention that the Kodiak is not as heavy as others manufacture ATV's? I know I will probably have to get a ATV wagon if I bought one for my kids. Will the Tacoma with its V6 4.0L motor pull a wagon with ease?

I know this is a long first post, but hey I like to be informed. Also if the price for this ATV is really good, I can always unload it if I wanted to upgrade to a bigger ATV. Ok, lets hear your opinions on this 2006 Kodiak and what you think of the features and price.

Many thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I know a lady who rides a Kodiak, but I'm not really familiar with it. You can find out how much it's worth at N.A.D.A. or KBB.com. The Kodiak and almost any other ATV will fit in any full-size truck. My 4.8 Silverado pulls a trailer with 5 or 6 ATVs on it like it's not even there, so I don't think a 4.0 would have any trouble hauling one.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

My dad has an '05 kodiak 450. We thought it was the best thing out in midsize atvs at the time. It's smaller, but that can be more practical at times. It's never given him problems.

Locking differentials are a definite good thing. They can get you out of a jam...or get you into a worse one!

If I were going to buy a used quad, it would be a Kodiak/Grizzly 450, and the one you're looking at sounds good to me.

A kodiak 450 will fit in the bed of an '05 or '06 tacoma (love those trucks), but i'm not sure if a bigger atv will. It should have the guts to comfortably pull most atv trailers as well.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

when you say diff do you mean differentails?