Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Difficult decision for 1st time ATV owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the Kodiak and thought it was an excellent machine. My wife however disliked something (and I can't for the life of me remember exactly, maybe seat height?).

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2001, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

congrats viking. a good choice. tough competition. you wouldn't have gone wrong on any of your choices. like i said, for the type of riding you and the mrs. will be doing, you'll find the suspension and seat a dream to deal with for hours on end. i gave you my opinion on the whole thing. drop me a line when you like. safe riding..ps make sure you get at least 1 winch as the incentive...can't go wrong for the $69. pretty easy to install.

Old 02-04-2001, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

sorry i havent replied. i work nights so im only on line during weekends. no its not a rubicon. its a foreman. the brake split in the front does work awesome. for me being a first time rider at 30 yrs old, i found the setup a huge benefit for getting out of the crap .

Old 02-04-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

CanadianViking:
First of, Congrat's on your new additions to the family! I think you'll be more than happy with their performance. And, like somebody else mentioned, I'd definately get at least one winch for the incentive on one machine. I would not have a utility machine without a winch, and there have been a few times I wish we would have put a winch on both 'Cats, instead of getting the extended warranty on my Dad's machine. The 'Cats are very tough, I doubt the warranty would be justified, especially if you read the fine print on the types of repairs along with what the dealer has to do and what you can do, what type of minimum value can be placed, etc. -I've seen a couple "iffy" warranty contracts that were more of a joke than anything.

Second-Sorry nobody mentioned the bit about the dealer, that is another very important feature in an atv that most people don't think about (or don't until it's after the fact!) Glad to hear you like your dealer, you want him on your side if anything should ever go wrong. Unfortunately, it seems good dealers are becoming increasingly harder to come by-glad to hear you got a good one.

Best of luck with the machines, I'm sure you'll love them. Out of curiousity, what did your wife think? Hate to sound repetitive, but like I said earlier, a narrower set of tires up front should make it much easier for her to steer, if that is a concern. Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions, comments, or whatever.

Mike

Old 02-04-2001, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

Two 500s are a good choice because there is no replacement for displacement.

Happy trails,

Old 02-09-2001, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Tim1,

Thats a false statment. If you want proof on that statement I just have one word to prove it wrong:

GRIZZLY

Old 02-14-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats! Even though I am a proud Rubicon owner, with the choices (and prices) presented to you, I think you made the right choice for you. Anyone considering any bikes needs to at least sit, if not drive the finalist(s). I believe that as soon as you sit in "the" bike, you know it. It will fit you, and instantly you can feel yourself riding it. You did your homework, and I think you'll be thrilled with your choice. Remember, ATV-aholic meetings are every Saturday, and.....

Old 02-16-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

The reason I suggested 2 Sportsmans is the ride. My brother in law got one figuring it would be easier on his back (had back surgery not too long ago). He got a SP for him and a Magnum for his boys. Rough trails will cause him to say something like 'the Sportsman is MINE, you will just have to go slower if the Mag is too rough. Keep in mind the Magnum rides about as well as anything, but I never rode any utility yet that was in the same league as the Sportsman for long, rough trail comfort.
If you don't mind slowing down when it is rough, it isn't as much of an issue.