Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New To Forum,Mid Size ATV To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Forum,Mid Size ATV To Buy

Hi All,was looking for ATV forums,this looked like a good one.I have a question that some of you may be able to help me with.
I just sold my 97 Honda 300 4x4 a few minutes ago,and am looking to replace.I would have kept the 300,it was mint condition,but for some of the steep country I`ve been bow hunting in southern WV the last couple years.
Their is one trail in particular,that`s been giving me trouble.It`s very steep,fairly straight up a old logging road that`s basically a groove,just ATV wide ,now,that raises aprox 700' rise up a hollow,or ravine ,and has a couple leaning places in it about half way up.The 1st 100 yds is the worst of it.
If I try to ease up it with the Honda in 1st gear,it just spins out.It is mostly dirt with some loose small rocks.If I go 2nd gear WFO,I have been able to get up it,amost loosing power at top of that really steep part,but it spins enough that I don`t have to shift back to 1st.I have(had) good tires,original on front,and new ones on back.My son has a 99 King Quad 500 with bad tires on the front,he didn`t get 50' up the botttom after many tries,just spun holes.
I know the front end is open on this ATV,and was hoping to get one with a locking front axle,to help me out.I`m hoping this will enable me to climb places like this without running the crap out of it.I`m looking at 300-450 size.

I`ve been looking at the Yamaha Bigbear 400,and Grizzly 450.I`ve read with some research that because of the 43" tire width,and fairy high ground clearance that this machine is somewhat top heavy,and might tip to the side in some situations.These are my top choices other than these issues.5 speed or auto?

Next is the Honda 420 Rancher.I`ve always been a Honda person,but it dosen`t have the front lock.It does claim to have a torque sensing front axle,that puts power on the best front wheel,but don`t know how quick this reacts,or if it would help me that much more than the old 300.

Next is the Kaw Prarie 360.Not sure if I would like pulling the little lever in this type situation to lock front axle,and not sure of the basic build quality,with the strut type front end.It is 3" wider on the back than the Yammies,and would seem to be more stable,straight rear axle&all..

Next would be the Suz 450 KQ,haven`t done much research on this model,but is is wider than the Yamaha`s,might be less top heavy.I`m off tomorrow to look some more.Keep in mind I`ll be hauling in the back of my older Toyota Tacoma,I don`t do trailers.
I know this is a lot for a newbie to dump on you people,but any ideas would be appreciated!
TIA,Dizz

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

welcome to the the forum! If it helps look at this link of a poll I did for midsize spot utilities.
http://forums.atvconnection.co...ht_key=y&keyword1=POLL

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dizz. Check this out. 500 class utility 4x4 comparison

"Yep, we saved the best for last. Polaris knows what 4x4 ATVers like and its Sportsman 500 delivers. The Sportsman is excellent for sport riding, rock crawling and working. It has large racks, the best suspension action, the most storage room and it's the fastest. Moreover, it's just plain fun."

There was a 400 class utility 4x4 comparison too, but I can't find that one. Hopefully someone else can. You can compare any 2 ATVs at this site too.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Thank`s Fellas,I`ve not really ever given Polaris a chance.The guy I ride to work with loves his(97 300 2-stroke),but he takes great care of his stuff,as I do.I`m thinking of asking my Yammie dealer(he also does Polaris)about one of the new 400`s this morning.Not sure how quick the Polaris front end lock kicks in.Would hope before the rear end digs a hole.Imfo about this is thin on Polaris web site.
Thanks again,Dizz

Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Dizz, the front end of the Polaris is completely transparent. You don't even know it's engaged until you realize that tire that is up in the air is spinning at the same rate as the other front tire on the ground. It locks in less than a 1/5 of a turn. So, with a 25 inch tire it will lock in in less than 15" or so. I've never been stuck other than getting high centered on a rock when I didn't take a good line through some boulders. I haven't ever had any problems with the 3 I've owned or presently own. They are great machines. The Suzuki 450 has gotten great reviews. The only thing bad I've read about them is a twitchy front end. I would also recommend one of the Polaris 2-up machines for hill climbing. The added length makes them almost impossible to tip over backwards or forwards.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rancher has the newer torque sensing differential...nothing like the open one on the old 300. Bias is 70% to the wheel with traction, and 30% to the other wheel. Think about it, what does a locker do (???), send only 50% to each wheel all the time!!!

Also check out the new Rancher 420AT with IRS, and a totally unique transmission. If your trails are rutted, then some extra ground clearance might help.

The Rancher rips!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thank` for all the great imfo guys.I went with the King Quad 450,08 model.Olive green,$6000 OTD with 2yr ex warranty.I went with it because after checking tire width,seat height,gas tank under seat, etc. that it would be a very stable machine.also my 1st auto atv,very impressed,it holds back just like my old Honda,very smooth power,and does 60mph,and that means at the 45 I`d run it between trails would not over wind it.I didn`t really want the FI,or all that digital speedo crap.I keep my junk for 10-15 years,all that electronic crap tends to give trouble down the road.If the Yammie BB had of been a little wider,it would be in my garage now because I can fix that thing when needed.
I was going to look at the polaris 400,but the Polaris Web side didn`t mention a low range without going to the 500.That 400 has a large in class engine,heard it was the old Sportsman 500 engine.
I took the new Suzuki to my test hill,it did great.The factory rear tires are not top notch,they are Dunlop KT 415`s,not as much tread as I would like.Any suggestions on a good dirt&loose small rock tire for steep mountain country?I don`t do any mudding.I saw a ITP tire this week,not the regular,but more aggresive tread that looked good.
Thanks again all,Dizz

Old 10-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new machine Dizz. I say use the stock tires until they don't hook up anymore, then shop around. There are so many great dirt tires out there it's hard to pick just one, but I like the looks of the ITP TerraCross R/T. This year they added another ply to the sidewall and made it an XD, eXtreme Duty. I would stay with the stock wheels to save some money.

Frank

Old 10-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Now all you need to do is go ride take pics and post them back on here on the forum! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

I`ll take your advice on the tires.Like you said,so many tires,confusing to pick one.Some say the large lugs will just dig holes on the slopes,some say they are the way to go.
Rode another 8 hrs today,can`t get over the smoothness of the machine!Easy on gas also.
Thanks,Dizz