Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

is there a 500cc atv out there that is built like a tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a 500cc atv out there that is built like a tank?

what would you say is the most durable independent suspension 4x4 out there is?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good ATV's in the 500cc class: Polaris 550 (new model), Griz 550 (also new), AC, Honda Rancher (it's a 420 but sturdy), King Quad 500 (also 450).

Jaybee

Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum rockyman. There are a couple of 500s built like tanks. The Sportsman 500 H.O. and 500 EFI. They're the original IRS quads and the design has been perfected over more than 12 years. I've run trees over with mine and done a lot of other stuff that tanks do and ATVs normally don't. I did break a bolt on one of the rear A-arms a few years ago, but if you keep jumping something that heavy, something is bound to break. It didn't even affect the ride either. That's not bad IMO for 11 years of beating the crap out of them. The XP 550 should be good too.

The last time I looked at a Grizzly's rear suspension it looked a bit flimsy compared to the Polaris. Arctic Cat makes the only other 500 IRS quads I've seen.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks jumbofrank...

how reliable would you say they are?

sportsman 500 vs arctic cat 500

both are 4x4

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Moto Psycho

I don't know anyone with an Arctic Cat so I can't say anything about them, good or bad. All I know is that the local Gander Mountain quit selling them and I don't even know where to get one. My friends ride almost 100% Polaris and Yamaha. Other than a bunch of severely abused Trailblazers, Polaris is more reliable than Yamaha in my experience. BTW, the Honda 420 has about the same horsepower as any other brand of 300-350 so that's not even in the same class as a 500.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I have never been able to warm up to belt drives! Thing is, there has never been an alternative IRS machine that was not belt drive....until Honda came out with the Rincon and now the Rancher 420AT.

I don't like the Rincon because it has no engine braking at low speed, and the automotive style torque converter transmission in needlessly complex (and no low range). But on the other hand, several of the magazine reviews have said it (arguably) has the best ride of any quad out there! Honda keeps its IRS machines tight, so there isn't any of that sloppy body roll you get with many of them!

I recently witnessed a nasty rollover crash, where a big bore IRS machine (Brute Force) tumbled down a hill because it was on an extreme off-camber, and its mushy suspension dived on the low side (I do have to say that it was fairly heavily loaded!). Thing is, my little Rancher (SRA model) zips through that same trail section, third gear pinned!

The new Rancher 420AT, has IRS and a new totally unique seamless shifting dual-clutch transmission. This is basically a gear-on-gear transmission that can be left on automatic or shifted with buttons (like paddle shifters on the Volkswagens...same tranny design). This tranny, makes every other type of automatic tranny out there look silly!!! Reviews have said it has power that is more like a 500 class machine, than a 400 (fuel injected and water cooled!). For my taste, it is however on the heavy side for a quad of its size.

http://powersports.honda.com/2...urtrax-rancher-at.aspx

Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 Sportsman is the heavest 500 made at 700lbs, thats 100 lbs more steel somewhere in the ATV that others do not have. Ever hear of a light weight tank or tractor?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

The 500 Sportsman is the heavest 500 made at 700lbs, thats 100 lbs more steel somewhere in the ATV that others do not have. Ever hear of a light weight tank or tractor?</end quote></div>

I will say that there are some "work" situations where weight might be an advantage (in which case I would just use a UTV or truck instead of a quad), but for a trail rider a bunch of dead weight is just going to hold you back! And when you roll that lard a$$ monster, you will learn some important lessons!

If I get my Rancher stuck, I can just pick it up and and carry it out of the hole!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

The 500 Sportsman is the heavest 500 made at 700lbs, thats 100 lbs more steel somewhere in the ATV that others do not have. Ever hear of a light weight tank or tractor?</end quote></div>

I will say that there are some "work" situations where weight might be an advantage (in which case I would just use a UTV or truck instead of a quad), but for a trail rider a bunch of dead weight is just going to hold you back! And when you roll that lard a$$ monster, you will learn some important lessons!

If I get my Rancher stuck, I can just pick it up and and carry it out of the hole!</end quote></div>

It's not "dead" weight if you have a "lively" engine.

I'd like to see you pick up and carry your Rancher. If you can I'm not going to start any fights with you.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

If I get my Rancher stuck, I can just pick it up and and carry it out of the hole!</end quote></div>

You can pick up a 550lb ATV? Its like women, 550lb or 700lbs you do not want either to roll on you and it would take a winch to get them off you.

Quick Reply: is there a 500cc atv out there that is built like a tank?