Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

CA registration questons???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:09 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default CA registration questons???

I want to buy this dune buggy from my friend who is in Nevada. Times are tough so she's selling it cheap. Does anyone know if I buy it, Will I have a hard time registering it in california with all their rules and regulations?
I would be perfectly happy with a red sticker. I just dont wanna pass up this deal.

Any information is greatly appreciated...

Old 03-07-2009 | 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Not quite sure about you question, but I will try to answer.
There is no smog because it is an off road vehicle.
There is no safety equipment because it is an off road vehicle.

You just go down to the DMV with the signed and dated pink; tell them you paid 300 bucks for it and they will do the work to transfer the buggy in your name.

You should get a green sticker and a new pink in your name in a few weeks. I can't see for any reason you would get a red sticker because it is granfathered in as a green buggy.

One thing about the buggy. There are VERY few places you can drive one on public land. Pismo and Samoa are about the only two I can think of. (There may be a few more???) A few jeep trails around my area also; but very few for a buggy. Lots for an ATV.

Just something to think about.

Old 03-07-2009 | 08:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

If it was never registered in Nevada, you won't have a pink to take to the DMV, so you will need to present a bill of sale instead. If that doesn't work, just say you built it up from parts, welded up the frame yourself, etc.....but do have the engine number available.

A last resort would be to just get an out of state sticker.....

Old 03-07-2009 | 04:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. It's actually one of thoes GoKart like dune buggy's. It almost reminds me of a mini rail. But Not the rail price. Its only 1yr old. My concern is about emissions. I didnt know if i have to worry about that. I have been reserching similar ATV's and there's some that you cant buy in Cali. some CARB or ecp thing. I once brought a vehicle from Arkansa. DMV made me pay a smog impact fee,but I was able to register it. I figured it should be the same for this ATV.

Anyways thanks for you help.

Old 03-07-2009 | 04:51 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hi REcon. Thanks for that info. I never thought of saying I built it. Thats a Great Idea.Hmmm. Otherwise. I should be able to just turn in the plates to register it here ya think?

Old 03-07-2009 | 04:58 PM
Red Rider

Is it one of those Carter type things??? Might be hard to say you built that, where you could get away with something that has VW engine in it or similar.

Just a warning, my friend's who have bought the "Carter" type of vehicles, have not found that they were of the greatest quality!

Old 03-07-2009 | 05:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I googled Carter's and yes. It's like one of thoes. well,for the price and considering I really dont expect it to last more than a couple of years(for the kids ya know) I figured, Why not.
It looks like it could be fun.

Old 03-07-2009 | 09:12 PM
Red Rider

I don't think you could claim you built that one.....

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Wo, wo wo, I thought this was a home built buggy like reconranger thought. All bets are off about the red sticker if this is a China buggy deal.

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:44 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

So It probably Will end up with a red sticker huh? Which wont be much of a big deal cuz we really only go out in the winter time. Acording to DMV web site the places we go are all ok for red stickers in the winter.