Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I do agree with the bigger cc coment ha. The only thing also is some people I know are tellin me to get a 2 wheel drive one like a raptor 700. One reason for me stayin away from one like that is cuz I have never road one where I had to shift it when riding. Cuz where I'm from there isn't too many place to "off road" at so I would have to travel to have the fun but I will. Maybe that why everyone wants a faster or smaller one.

So in anyones opinion is an 800 going over the edge? Ha. And one last question..... Cuz the ones I was on didn't have exactly the power the ones I'm lookin at have, is there a huge differecne in the 650 to 700 to 800. Like once you get up in the 700-800 range is it more of a get up n go power or does the weight of it give you the power you need but slower??

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you want to do some serious muddin' and stuff stay away from a sport ATV ... aha... I had never rode an ATV that you had to shift with until I got my 08 LT-R... I slowly practiced at it, it was difficult at first, but now I'm pretty pro at it and rarely stall anymore. And I've probably only rode about 15 hours on it. So it just depends on whether you WANT to learn it.

An 800 is definitely NOT going over the edge. My dad has the Outlander 800 Max XT, it's definitely NOT over the edge. It's just REALLY fast for a utility quad and REALLY fun. I don't really understand your last sentence... a 700+ "big-bore" will give you more torque and overall HP. You will be quicker acceleration and will have a higher top speed. Most 500 series machines are EXACTLY the same as their big-bore brothers, except with a smaller engine. So they will just be slower.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok well i think the 700 will be the one, i still have too look around cuz there is a few around for sale. sorry bout that sentence but you did answer my question (canadian144). and ya im not going to get a sport atv cuz i feel im gunna wanna get more muddy and wat not than speed on a street. just sounds more fun to me but thank again

Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Something else to consider is the on board storage of Polaris. The longer the trail ride the more stuff you will want to take. Everything that gets stuffed in the rack pack can go in the storage compartments on the Polaris so you have more room for other goodies. As far as the power…if your on a trail its hard to use up the power from anything over 500cc because you simply cant go that fast without killing yourself. I have a Kawi 700 Prairie and Polaris 500 Sportsman and like to ride the Polaris more because it’s so much more comfortable which translates into your body hurting less after 80 miles through the mountains.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have had 2 750 brutes and love them i think that the bigger cc is better the nice thing is that u dont have to use all hte power but when u can you will love using it all up when its safe to. just remember to be safe and ride smart if u get the big cc. and another suggeswtion is to purchase a winch. in my opinion i would get a warn 2500 or 3000 lb i use mine constantly. i dont know what i would do with out it. and if u buy a new one then u will mostlikely be able to get the dealer to put one on for very cheep.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Anything man made excepted for a house is cheaper bought used vs new.

I always bought used and had no regrets and save thousands. Once a ATV leaves the show room floor its considered used and is $1000 less in price.