Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

1st Quad? What to buy? Info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I think a Z400 or 400EX would suit you best... when I was 14 I got a Baja 90... I learnt to ride on it no problems, but it was boring as heck after about 2 weeks... LOL. Of course now I ride a 08 LT-R450... I'm 15 now, 6'1 or '2 (not sure anymore haha), and weight about 180-190. I've rode Z400s before, and they were plenty of fun!

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Go to any Arco station, and get a copy of the motorcycle/ATV trader. There will be a bunch of 400's in there, and they will be local so you can go look at the quad (not just pictures and BS on the internet). Should be lots of low hour ones out there....seeing the economy is slow. If you are mostly going to ride dunes, then the Z400 will be a better choice than the EX. However, is you are going to do lots of trail riding (like the superb trails behind Lake Arrowhead), then the 400EX is a better choice.

As far as maintenence...the 400's are pretty simple. The air filter and oil/oil filter changes will be the biggest things. Keep the tires properly aired, the chain lubed and the proper tension, and a valve adjustment now and then.

Honda 400EX ATV Oil Change Insturctions - ATV Technical Articles

It's worth spending a couple extra dollars a quart for a high quality ester synthetic oil, like Redline, or Maixma Extra, Ultra, or 530MX (for really cold weather).

The 250EX with stock tires is a little tipsy, so I am not surprised that you felt it was a little unstable! As far as stability when side-hilling, the easy way to widen a quad is with wider tires, and ITP T9 or Baja rims that are wider and have a greater offset than stock.

Sound level is 96db, which is really really easy to meet. The only place I have ever seen them testing sound is Jawbone, and that was just courtesy testing...nobody was writing tickets or anything. This shouldn't be any big deal.

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by reconranger
Go to any Arco station, and get a copy of the motorcycle/ATV trader. There will be a bunch of 400's in there, and they will be local so you can go look at the quad (not just pictures and BS on the internet). Should be lots of low hour ones out there....seeing the economy is slow. If you are mostly going to ride dunes, then the Z400 will be a better choice than the EX. However, is you are going to do lots of trail riding (like the superb trails behind Lake Arrowhead), then the 400EX is a better choice.

As far as maintenence...the 400's are pretty simple. The air filter and oil/oil filter changes will be the biggest things. Keep the tires properly aired, the chain lubed and the proper tension, and a valve adjustment now and then.

Honda 400EX ATV Oil Change Insturctions - ATV Technical Articles

It's worth spending a couple extra dollars a quart for a high quality ester synthetic oil, like Redline, or Maixma Extra, Ultra, or 530MX (for really cold weather).

The 250EX with stock tires is a little tipsy, so I am not surprised that you felt it was a little unstable! As far as stability when side-hilling, the easy way to widen a quad is with wider tires, and ITP T9 or Baja rims that are wider and have a greater offset than stock.

Sound level is 96db, which is really really easy to meet. The only place I have ever seen them testing sound is Jawbone, and that was just courtesy testing...nobody was writing tickets or anything. This shouldn't be any big deal.
Thanks, you have been a great help!
One Last question is z400 good on dirt also?

Old 04-27-2009 | 12:30 AM
Red Rider

Both are excellent dirt/cross country rides!

When picking my rides for the desert, I take my cue from desert racing (I'm not real big on dunes, myself)! Honda has dominated the big endurance races like Baja and Vegas To Remo, for many many years. If you aren't on a Honda (ATV or dirt bike), you likely won't finish the race, much less win!!! For years the 400EX was king, but now it is the 450R. They did campain the 700XX last year, but I think that was just to bring some publicity for that quad....I don't think that design makes a very good desert ride.

The Z does have a more modern engine design than the EX. It is DOHC and water cooled, so even though it has the same displacement, it is a good bit faster than the EX. Where the EX really shines, is on a tight/technical trail where you need to lug the engine down. I can put mine in 1st gear, and idle through a nasty trail section. The Z on the other hand likes to be ridden reved out, so it requires some clutch slipping when ridden in tehcnical terrain. And the 450's, are even more extreme. My 450R will go 25 mph at idle in 1st gear!

Old 04-27-2009 | 01:38 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Whoa just came across this site which say they are selling a 2008 trx700xx honda for 5,200$ plus free shipping. Im thinking it might be a scam? Or does this sound legit. Honda 2008 TRX®700XX
THE Retail price is 8.5k Its also showing on this page that its the same price as a Honda 450r Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from Chaparral Motorsports

Old 04-27-2009 | 02:09 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Chaparral Motorsports is a big so.cal. dealership....prob trying to get rid of last years overhead inventory.

Old 04-27-2009 | 06:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'd stay away from the 700XX UNLESS you are ONLY doing really tight trail riding. That's the only place it shines. Everywhere else, it's blah.

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:28 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Canadian144
I'd stay away from the 700XX UNLESS you are ONLY doing really tight trail riding. That's the only place it shines. Everywhere else, it's blah.
I say the XX is to big a pig even for tight trails! This is a really weird machine, that doesn't fit in any existing niche very well. It will do best for someone who rides rocky terrain or rutted trails all the time. I ride rocks now and then, but can't see being saddled with a 500 pound quad all the time....just for the occasional time when I am in the rocks.

Best to just ignore this machine!

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:41 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Sourade
Whoa just came across this site which say they are selling a 2008 trx700xx honda for 5,200$ plus free shipping. Im thinking it might be a scam? Or does this sound legit. Honda 2008 TRX®700XX
THE Retail price is 8.5k Its also showing on this page that its the same price as a Honda 450r Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from Chaparral Motorsports
Around here, $4,849 for a new 400EX is a good price compared to the MSRP of $6,299 for a 2009. Do be aware that besides the base price, they will try to tack on extra dealer prep and shipping (and of course you won't ever get away from tax and license fees). Be sure they quote you an "out the door" price, not just the price of the quad itself. These tacked on fees, is where you will need to take a hard line when negotiating with them! Sales are slow, so if you have cash in hand, that should be a big plus....

Chapparal has everything except customer service, but I have found some good deals there in the past, and they do have the largest inventory around. Personally, I prefer Honda Yamaha of Redlands, of all the dealerships in my area, but they are smaller and can't usually cut as good a price as Chaparral.

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:49 AM
Red Rider

I bought my 400EX new in 1999, so I have had it 10 years now. It is showing its age on the body work, but it is dead solid reliable and runs as good as the day it was new (although I think I'll do the clutch this summer). My point here is, that if you have the money for a new one, you will get years and years of trouble free riding out of it!!!

These will take a lot of abuse, but the problem with a used one is that you don't know how the previous owner maintained it or how they broke it in. Most folks will do the occasional oil change, but almost everyone will ignore that first critical valve adjustment at 20 hours....

I have also owned the Z400, and it seemed to be every bit as reliable and bulletproof as the EX.

Quick Reply: 1st Quad? What to buy? Info?