Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

1st Quad? What to buy? Info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 02:50 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation 1st Quad? What to buy? Info?

Now, Ive rode quads before and the tops Ive gone on one is like 35 mph in glamis. Now before I go any farther I am only 14 going on 15. Im looking for a quad that's under 5,000$, and that can go around 40-70 mph. The Honda TRX300ex and Raptor 450 caught my eye, but I was wondering if there where others that can go similar or better with less price. MUST have manual clutch! Im looking for more of a sports quad then a utility quad. ALSO I would like to know more things about quads such as what type of maitenence I would have to do on the quad and HOW often. I would like some information, such as what is 4x4 and stuff like mods for the quad, what exactly do the parts do, and what ever else that is useful. I want to do as much Reading as possible to know what I need to know.

P.S: Also, need to know how to register, road laws, and California LAWS about quads. (IF YOU CAN GET THIS INFO)

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Get some mags = read them.

Find some friends who ride and see if you can go along.

It sounds like you are trying to make a decision with almost no information. It's easy to find a sport quad (used, but in good condition) for under $5K. There are entry level sport quads in the 250 to 300 cc class. Of these the Yamaha Raptor 250 is probably the best suited for what you want. More up to the 400cc class and you get Honda TRX400 or a Suzuki Z400 as good, reliable sporty rides. These are great all around trail/dune bikes. Beyond that is the 450 + class where usage is more specific for trail, track or dunes. New prices for 250's run around $4K, 400's about $6K and 450's at $7K to $8K.

250 sport bikes will top out in the 50 MPH range, 60 MPH for the 400's and 70 MPH for 450's. All that is relative to trail conditions and each bike of course. Top speed isn't a good indicator - it's how you manage to get there that's important.

Since you are new to this the best thing is to research as much as you can. Borrow bikes to ride if you can manage that. Buy something used so you get get out and ride and get a first-hand feel for what you like andneed in an ATV. Don't consider that first ATV to be your ultimate ride, rather use it as a learning tool to move up later on. In the meantime, wait until youcan find a decend deal on a used ATV so that you can resell it later without too much (if any) loss.

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:55 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You did not give your height and weight. That makes more of a difference than your age! Also, are you likely to grow a lot more or not???

You ride the southwest deserts....and this is sport quad country! You want to be light and fast and float along on top of the terrain, rather than be heavy and dig in and grapple for traction. So, absolutely don't let anyone in here who has no idea about local riding conditions, talk you into some clunker utility!!!

That said, 4wd utilities do have their place, but around here they are "specialty machines"....not mainstream like they are in other parts of the country. I use my utilities for riding snow in the mountains in winter, and trips to the Sierras and Inyos where we like to explore old mines and get cooled off in the hot summer months. But in the dunes and bashing huge desert whoops, all the utilities are way way lame!

If you are on the smaller/lighter side, then the Raptor 250 would be my first choice. After that, the Honda 300EX. Avoid the Raptor 350 and Warrior....I know this from years riding one when you were still in diapers! The Honda 250EX is also a great machine, but has more limited suspension because it is shaft drive (the others are chain drive). And if you are really small, then a green sticker Blaster (see about stickers in the post below).

The problem with getting a smaller machine at your age however, will be that you may outgrow it very quickly. All the 15 year olds we ride with, could and probably should be on bigger machines than the ones listed above. Both the Honda 400EX and Suzuki Z400 are great choices in the industry mainstay 400 class! These handle great, and even a beginner won't feel they are in over their heads, yet an experienced rider can still have fun on them.

The 450's are in a whole other class! They are high strung and higher maintenance, and I would stay away from them until you are older and have lots of experience and money!

My son is almost 16 and over 6' tall, and I have offered him the 400EX many times (that has aftermarket suspension and eats big deset whoops for breakfast!), and if Honda comes out with an updated 450R, he is even welcome to my old one....but he has been riding a 250EX for many years and does not want to give it up...go figure?

Old 04-26-2009 | 09:13 AM
Red Rider

California laws:

You need to wear a helmet and have a flag on public land. I recommend you wear all the safety gear you can find!!! Helmet, gloves, goggles, chest protector, and boots...plus elbow and knee guards. Some good MX pants that won't shred in a crash are a good idea as well.

I am not sure what the age requirements are on having to take a safety course??? It is a very good idea to take one anyway!!!

A quad is not street legal, and will get a GREEN sticker (do NOT get one if it has a RED sticker!). You will get a registration and a pink slip from the DMV, just like with a car. That means that you can ride any of the BLM or state parks "open" areas (eg. Glamis, Ocotillo, Stoddard, Johnson, El Mirage, Rasor, Dumont, Hungry Valley, Pismo, etc.). In "open" areas, you can ride anywhere you choose, and make your own trails if you wish.

Then there is BLM "regular" land and some designated routes in the national forests. Here, you can ride if you stay on already establised roads and trails, and do not stray off the beaten path. Then there is "wilderness" where you can't ride at all. There are however, often designated well established routes through wilderness areas as well, so don't get totally put off when you see "winderness" on a map.

Note that many national forests (all the ones in So. Calif.) have a "closed unless posted open" green sticker policy, and are quite restrictive. A few like Inyo National Forest (Mammoth/Bishop area...best riding there is!!!), still have an "open unless posted closed" policy, which lets you ride any dirt road.

Folks from other areas seem to think it is restrictive out here and that may be because we are so spoiled and complain a lot(!), but we still have literally thousands of miles of roads and trails where we can freely ride!!! More than anyone could hope to ride in a lifetime....

Mostly, we ride sport quads in the desert in the cool months, then switch to utilities in the cooler mountains in summer. We also have dual-sport dirt bikes that are street legal, so we can ride all the places that are green sticker restricted as well....and thumb our noses at the Sheriff and Rangers! I love quads first and most and will always ride them, but dual-sport bikes are going to be the wave of the future!!!

Old 04-26-2009 | 09:53 AM
Red Rider

Get youself a set of these maps! They cover the LA area north into the high desert (but unfortunately not the low desert):

Welcome to CTUC

Friends of Jawbone - Home

Ocotillo:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23478

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Get yourself a Honda 400ex! From your description it has your Name written all over it! They are very easy to handle and the power is perfect not to much and not to little making it good for beginners but is still fun even for people that have been riding for a while. They also have potential to be modified when you want more power and performance. I don't think a 300ex or raptor 350 is going to have enough power for the dunes and they are pretty small and you will get bored of them fast especially in the sand dunes. A 400ex will get you around better and you will be able to go up almost all the hills after you get some practice.

Old 04-26-2009 | 04:29 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so far for the information guys. Im about 5'10 and weigh 125, I was wondering where can I happen to get a older quad (ebay, craigslist etc.) THE ONLY CONCERN is Will not pay over internet, Id, go pick it up with my dad. So what is the possibility of actually getting a quad close enough to were I live?
Also since I know nothing about quad Maitenence, Is there a website I can go to that has some information about that?

Old 04-26-2009 | 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

odds are very good you will find a used 400ex around there are thousands of them out there and I am sure there are some around you for sale. For maintenance buy a Honda Hanes Manual from your dealer. It will tell you how to take the whole thing apart and put it back together. Also tells you how to do maintenance and when to do it.

Old 04-26-2009 | 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I'd start looking for used quads on Craigslist. While there are scams on CL, if you limit your search to your local area (easy with CL) then you can be sure to get a first hand look before you buy. Whatever you do, do not bother with any ad that claims they can ship the quad to you for free. Also, on CL, you will find quads listed for sale in both the 'mototcycle' section as well as the 'RV' section.

Make sure that you know what the new MSRP price is for any used quad you are going to look at. You can also get reasonably accurate used ATV value information from KBB.com or NADA.com as well as other internet vehicle pricing services. Be aware that many advertise an inflated "what I paid for it" price as they often include sales taxes and dealer fees when they refer to what they spent. STick with original MSRP to figure out the value.

BTW, I agree with the above posters - sounds like a TRX 400 or Z400 would suit you fine. You should be able to find them in decent shape from $2,000 and up.

Old 04-26-2009 | 06:04 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Oh, one more thing I was watching video's of people doing sound test on there quads? Why are people so hyped about how there quad sounds?
OH just one more thing lol, um In glamis on I think I was on a 250ex. Anyway going down medium hills were sketchy because when u try to go down sideways at an angle its hard as heck so I was wondering any advise on going down the hills saftley?

Quick Reply: 1st Quad? What to buy? Info?