Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Fuel injection or Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection or Carb?

Hi all, I am thinking of buying an ATV. Torned between the new 09 Suzuki 450 and the 09 Grizzly 450. My general use are for hunting/fishing, plowing snow on my small driveway and possibly ice fishing.

I plan to keep the quad for long term so with all long term maintenace in mind, the Suzuki 450 is Fuel Injection and the Grizzly 450 is carb. Do you think I will be better off in the long run with the Suzuki or the Grizzly.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No first had personal experience with either of these models, but I would generally say that injection is absolutely the way to go!!! My Rancher has been absolutely trouble free for 2+ years now. I have lots of friends with Raptor 700's, and one Kawi 450....all doing excellently well.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

For sure Fuel Injection is the way to go, as Recon said!

Close to a year now of no trouble on my 2008 Suzuki LTR450 (EFI) and almost 2 years now on my dads Outlander 800 (also EFI). The nice part is that you don't have to re-jet it at various altitudes, and it's much easier to start in the cold winter months.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

3 years, 1500 miles and no trouble with my Polaris Sportsman X EFI. Like it a lot better than my son's ATP. Much less trouble to start, smoother roll on power, great in cold climates, and better in elevation changes. (Don't have to change carb. jets)

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

I won't ever buy one without EFI. They are the way to go IMO!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing worse than a carb is dual carbs. Ever re-jet a Banshee, Raptor, of KFX 700? Carbs are a problem if you ride where altitude and/or temperature changes are significant. Having to re-jet each time you go to a different riding area can be a serious pain in the butt, so you end up "getting by" with one set of jetting that isn't ideal, and performance suffers because of it. It has been a while since I have purchased a carburated ATV, and I'm enjoying not having to mess with jetting. Given the choice between the two ATVs you mention I would definitely get the one with EFI.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I like the simplicity of carbs when things aren't running right... lot less troubleshooting to do, and cheaper to fix or change. The fuel injection is complicated with sensors, more electrical, etc... and it costs a lot more to tune/change.

But when everything is running well, I much prefer the fuel injection.
And mine is a KFX 450R... which I don't think has as good of a system (FI/Sensors/Wiring) as the other ATV's out there.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you where a blind person you could not tell if the machine you were ridinging was a EFI or a carb. I like EFI but its sure not a feature that stands out like night and day over the other. I ride a friends 500 EFI and if it was not for the EFI sticker on the side, I would never of know the difference between the two.

I had a 1989 carbed 350 Big bear that had a million miles on it if the debate is about longevity between the two systems.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
If you where a blind person you could not tell if the machine you were ridinging was a EFI or a carb. I like EFI but its sure not a feature that stands out like night and day over the other. I ride a friends 500 EFI and if it was not for the EFI sticker on the side, I would never of know the difference between the two.

I had a 1989 carbed 350 Big bear that had a million miles on it if the debate is about longevity between the two systems.
Well, that may be true in a utility application.

But it is certainly not the case in a sport application.
There is a remarkable difference when the power-to-weight ratios are much better.

The difference in the response is absolutely remarkable... and that is the truth.

An absolutely as perfectly jetted as possible carburetor can be very good.

But it just cannot match the response to be had from a fuel pump, injector, sensors, computer... running on fuel delivery mapping and ignition curves.

I've experienced much stronger engines straight out of race shops, and even with more everything, they still do not match the "lightswitch" kind of snap reaction there is to be had from fuel injection.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The weight between a carb and a throttle body is nill infact most people would think a throttle body is a carb by its looks.

In this 2008 450 Motocross comparison http://www.racerxcanada.com/news/395...-450-shootout/ the RM Suzuki was the only bike with a throttle body,and it was the slowest of the bunch. EFI does not make a motor have more HP, when the motor is switch from a carb to efi the HP stays the same it just a different fuel dilivery system.

Here is a Throttle body

Here is a carb

I would think the Brain box needed to work the EFI would make it heavier.

Quick Reply: Fuel injection or Carb?