Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need opinions before I put money down on a 06 Sportsman 700 efi

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinions before I put money down on a 06 Sportsman 700 efi

Here is a link to the listing. I haven't seen it in person, but I would like to put money down to hold it since I live 150 miles away and won't be that direction for 10 days, I don't want someone else getting my good deal, but I want to know what everyone thinks before I drop cash on it.

Polaris 2006 Sportsman 700 EFI

The girl I've been talking to I had asked to check it out a little for mechanical problems. She said she looked around for leaks and didn't see any, started it and put it in forward gear and reverse. She didn't do anything other than that.

So anyone think this is a good deal or should I stay away? I've very mechanically inclined, so that isn't a problem, I just don't want to get more money into it than its worth. I'm also going to talk to the service department today and see what they can tell me. What questions should I ask? Anyone know if this Sportsman will have sight windows for the differentials?

Also.. I come from a long line of Honda Foremans and Ranchers.. that being said, am I going to be disappointed with the performance of this Sportsman in comparison? Is 10,000 miles alot for this machine?

Thanks, any and all opinions wanted before I blow my money today. Here's a couple more pictures.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Additional Pricing Info:A fixer upper for you mechanics out there
Seems like cosmetic damage as per the listing.
However the miles are almost 10k
If the listed price of 999.00 is correct you could probably part it out for what you paid for it.
Seems like a good deal espically if you are mechanicly inclined.
I however would want to ride it before I bought it.

here is a link that you might find useful 4 pages of "how many miles talk"
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ny-issues.html

Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I see the price says $1,000.00 for it. With no headlight,different seat,10,000miles,and it was obviously used,id have to say its your call. personally id rather buy a nicer machine with less miles on it for a little more money that doesn't have anything broke on it. My only reason is because with this bike having so many miles on it,who knows what else could be wrong or getting ready to brake. On the other hand,it may have been serviced very well and may last a long time. Not being able to see it in person im gonna say its your call. Its cheap,but alot of miles in my opinion and like i said,It been used from what i can see. There are several machines out there with 10,000 plus miles and still run strong.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I hope I don't regret it, but I bought it for $870. According to the service guys, the only issue it has affecting driveability is it needing new suspension bushings and wheel bearings. I'm very much hoping thats all stuff I can do on my own.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well for that price,you may have got your self something that will last another 10,000 miles! even if it goes another couple years. it would still be worth it.