Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

advice needed buying used

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed buying used

Hi here is a few 4x4 deals in my area what looks the best to you, or should I just keep looking....

2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Special edition for sale. It has 2WD and switch to 4WD, 2500 lb winch, snow plow, tow hitch, extra rims and tires for lite mud, Alaways garage kept. I used just 500 miles and now mileage is 2500. Everything working good. I am second owner, previos owner bought from Yamaha dealer. I'm not use it and I don't need it any more . Must sell because of money and also I need more space in my garage. Please no any scams. Only Call:

Manufacturer Honda Model Year 2008 Model FourTrax® Rancher® 4x4 ES (TRX®420FE) Price $4,795.00 Color Camo VIN # 102724 Stock Number: U02724 Miles 756

Manufacturer Suzuki Model Year 2009 Model KingQuad® 400AS Camo Price *$4,800.00
Color Realtree Hardwoods HD Enhanced VIN # 182 Stock Number: ULTA4001 Miles 620

Year: 2007Manufacturer: Arctic CatModel: 700 Diesel 4x4Primary Color: GreenUse: low miEquipment Condition: GoodTitle Status: Clean
6 month warranty, used around the shop for plowing, great fuel economy Asking $4999.00

2008 Arctic Cat Utility 4x4 Manual with 3,000’ Warn Winch, Snow Plow, truck loading ramps, tire chains, and cover all included for $4500. The ATV has been scarcely used (mainly plowing driveway). However, my friend at one point used it and hit a tree causing minor cosmetic damage to the front end, but nothing mechanically damaged. I bought this brand new in late 2009 and have been the only owner. Please reply to this post to set up a time/place to meet in person to check it out and/or take it for a test ride. I will send actual photos upon request. I am deploying in the spring and would like to sell it ASAP. Thank you.

Keep in mind im in Alaska so prices might seem high to some of you but these things sell at a higher price up here..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well- since there's no can-am to choose- The grizz by far IMO.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

You're looking at two different classes of machines. The Suzuki and the Honda are mid-sized machines. They compare to each other pretty well, my preference would be the Honda just for the reliability track record. Plus I have ridden a Rancher and they are fun to ride.

The Arctic Cat and the Grizzley are the Big Bores of the class. Both much higher performance than the mid-sized. You didn't list the price of the Grizzley, but all things being equal: The Grizzley's the best of the machines you list.

Make sure you give it a good look. It is six years old and has over 2000 miles. It may be getting close to needing to do some of the major maintenance. Plus, you may find less wear and tear on the newer ones. But if all thats good, the Grizzley is the best machine of the ones you list.

Also, being from Alaska can't you get a good deal on those used Polaris' from Sarah Palin? She shouldn't be needing them if she runs for president!

Good luck and post some pics of what you buy!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry for not pricing the yamaha think it was listed at 4500 asking price. Guess I should have said the reason for buying, main use will be for hunting, as I just cant afford 3.89 a gallon fuel prices anymore.. and a few summer trail rides when I just need to get out. the fuel usage is the reason for the 700 diesel being in the list.also that one is being sold as used, but was used just by the A.C. Dealer to plow its parkinglot and theres not much snow in the valley ....
As for the Palin wheeler I believe all there stuff is A.C. just from watching her TV show i could be wrong .

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Should mention I dont want to start a brand war as ive read in other posts . just thoughts on the ones I have listed . Was leaning to the honda for the dependabilty thing. Found one thread on the Diesel cat saying he was very happy with it but the last post he made it was for sale as he needed something with power steering

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4rplay
sorry for not pricing the yamaha think it was listed at 4500 asking price. Guess I should of mentioned the reason for buying main use will be for hunting, as I just cant afford 3.89 a gallon fuel prices anymore.. and a few summer trail rides when I just need to get out. the fuel usage is the reason for the 700 diesel being in the list.also that one is being sold as used, but was used just by the A.C. Dealer to plow its parkinglot and theres not much snow in the valley ....
As for the Palin wheeler I believe all there stuff is A.C. just from watching her TV show i could be wrong .
I don't know what they ride either...jsut making a joke.

The Grizz sounds like a decent deal, even at Alaska prices. Its got plenty of power and you'll enjoy riding it. All the people I know love riding it.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have to laugh the yamaha was tossed in the mix because of the xtras that came with it, it has the most miles of any in my post 2500 compared to 620 on the susuki,
700ish on the honda, very low miles on the AC Diesel, 318 on the other artic cat with many other addon's to go with it .....And 2 replies pick what I think is the worst of the lot so what gives.

Kinda tells me brand loyalty here compared to helping me pick the best bang for the buck machine. Or the two that posted didnt read the post.........

I kinda asked for help really going into this blind ....

Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I can assure you I'm not loyal to yamaha. I'm a Honda guy. I own three and have never bought anything else.

But, of the ones you've listed the grizzly is the best deal in my opinion.

If you were only looking at the mid size, I recommend the Honda highly. I own a rancher and love it. But of that group the grizzly is the best deal. It has much more power than the rancher.

I ride with many people who ride the grizzly and love it. They have more power than my Rincon. if its in good shape, I would buy it.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Kinda tells me brand loyalty here compared to helping me pick the best bang for the buck machine. Or the two that posted didnt read the post.........

Just wanted to add that I did read your post. Clearly. The problem is that you have four machines listed that can't really be compared to each other.

Since you say you are going into this process "blind" you should go ride the Grizzley, then ride the Rancher and you will know what we are talking about.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And 2 replies pick what I think is the worst of the lot so what gives.

You asked which on to buy- I read your post, looked at the choices, and made a choice.

Each one of the four atv's you listed are totally different then the next in terms of class!

You're comparing a big bore CVT driven grizz with an IRS (and added options) to a med sized honda ES with an SRA- to an AC big bore diesel (with IRS) to another AC utility (size not given)

There's also no indication in your origonal post as to what the application of said ATV will be used for...

As far as "brand loyalty"- huh? I don't even own a grizzly- I own a can-am- (which wasn't one of the 4 choices BTW) so where's the brand loyalty

you asked a simple question: which one of the 4 atv's would I buy... and you got a simple answer! The grizzly.

Quick Reply: advice needed buying used