Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What gives with dealer discounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What gives with dealer discounts?

So...I stop by a local Polaris dealer...and go in to purchase (if the deal is good)...2 Polaris Sportsman XP Tourings. One 850 and the other a 550. Of course...they don't have either in stock. They would have to be ordered...

So...they offer me $500 off...and then plus the manufac rebate...get another $200 off. So...a total of $700 off each machine. Not bad...I think as we are just starting the negotiations.

I ask for another $300 off (using the shipping and setup fees as leverage)...and then we have a deal. Yes??? NO!!! The sales guy could not get the sales manager to budge!

Ok folks...let me have it! Did I mess up??? Or was it perfectly reasonable to ask for the additional $300 off???

Comments...and advise is appreciated...

biz

Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you "mess-up"?---not a chance. The dealer messed-up; not you.
In the current economic circumstances, an additional $500 off is the minimum you should request.
It is a "buyers" market. Call or (even better) fax all the dealers in a 2 hour radius and tell them that you are ready to buy TODAY, if the price is right.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

When I bought mine I priced it out "plain jane" told the salesman I would think about it. Came back at the end of the week and told him to throw the front and rear rack extenders in and pay for the lifetime AG license and the first 3 year state license and he had a deal. He agreed. Maybe instead of you asking for an extra $500 off in price make him throw in some accessories you would like.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

do some research on the prices and decide on a price you think it is worth and what you're comfortable with. the dealer will try to haggle with you with their offers but stick to your price and in the end, you'll get a good deal. also, look at for their fees. normally, they would charge you higher than what they should charge since thats where they mostly get their money on. watch for for the freight and assembly fee. and also make sure you check if the brand has a rebate.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would've told the manager straight out- on the spot "take off the $300 shipping / doc fees" or I'm going somewhere else.

However- I used to sell power equipment, and the only profit I made was from the shipping. If I bought 10 or more units I didn't pay the shipping charges, which I would still charge you for because it was my only profit from the deal, otherwise- I had to pay the same as the customer. So they might have a real tight margin to work with. But I had to sell a minumum # of units, so sometimes I broke even just to make the sale.

but I'd still play hard ball with that manager if it's a larger showroom.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Excellent comments! I really appreciate everyone adding to this thread...

biz