Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First Time Buyer Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Buyer Needs Help

I am completely new to buying an ATV. I have ridden friends machines quite a few times and have decided to dive into the sport/hobby. I am going to be using the machine for hunting and trail riding for the most part. We hunt Idaho where it tends to be logging roads and rocky/rutty/steep in places ATV trails. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 230lb. I am trying to decide between a 2012 Honda Rubicon and a 2011/2012 Yamaha Grizzly 550. I will be getting power steering. I have read lots of forums and reviews but just looking for a little extra input. I also plan to do most of the basic maintenance myself. I appreciate all your help. Also, do folks recommend the extended warranty on a new machine? Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Between the two and ill keep this short, id go with the grizzly. Very strong motor and excellent transmission. rides smooth,fuel injection works great,and just an overall great atv for all that you mentioned to use it for,BUT the number one reason I would get the grizzly,especially living ing in or hunting in Idaho is the Full front differential locker. Honda does not have this feature and speaking with experience(i ride in wyoming) When it snows, locking it in 4wd works good but sometimes if my arctic cat didnt have differential lock like the grizzly,i would not have made it up the mountain, Full lock will get you out most of the time(snow depth plays a roll). Also when on rocks, one wheel will be in the air and that will be the tire spinning. withou diff lock,your stuck. With full diff lock,you lock it in and BOTH front wheels will pull. EPS works great for this feature also. it helps steer. guess this wasnt as short as i planned!!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote would be for the Grizzly too. It has better suspension and I think they have more ground clearance.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer

so just wondering why dont you think about a Polaris? they are true awd at the click of a button and have power steering. My father has a 2011 sportsman 550 and its the best riding well minored utility i think polaris has ever made and ithad plenty of power to boot.! Im not trying to say the Yamaha or honda is not the right way to go im just trying to help.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 2006dvx400
so just wondering why dont you think about a Polaris? they are true awd at the click of a button and have power steering. My father has a 2011 sportsman 550 and its the best riding well minored utility i think polaris has ever made and ithad plenty of power to boot.! Im not trying to say the Yamaha or honda is not the right way to go im just trying to help.
I test rode the the Polaris Sportsman along with the two machines mentioned and a Suzuki. In the 10 minutes I was able to spend on each machine the two I have narrowed it down to felt the most comfortable to me. I know there are pros and cons to all machines so I need to figure which one I can commit to. I just posted here to try and get some input about the machines and to see if some folks might have some info I haven't thought about. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks