Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying used atv

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used atv

I will be buying a used atv soon, more than likely from a dealer, I will need a winch and plow installed also. If you were negotiating would you offer to pay full asking price and have them include a winch and plow as part of the deal, or would you negotiate price 1st then purchase plow and winch seperately?
Thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to say, although I highly doubt you will get a plow and winch thrown in as "freebies." Buying used there is a good chance at finding a machine that already includes at least a winch. Most dealers will give you a % discount for a month/6 months/ maybe even a year after purchase. Unfortunately, even with the discount I have found the local dealers' prices to be over what you can buy the same products online for. Any reason why you wouldn't look at Craigslist/Ebay? I see a lot of machines that have both accessories and often the deal will be better than through a dealership.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would also try eBay or Craigslist first. Just watch out for those, "too good to be true", deals. Check KBB.com under motorcycles for values on quads. As Scooter said, a lot of used quads will already have a winch installed. Plows, not as much.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the previous comments about going through Craigslist or eBay first. We've purchased several used ATVs on Craigslist and had a lot of luck. If you're interested, we've written a few articles with the tips for making it a little easier.

Four for Buying a Used ATV

Protect Yourself with a Bill of Sale

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i would actually not buy from a dealer. You never know whats wrong with it and if they just want to push it out the door then you could be buying a machine with all kinds of issues. Unless you have a very good dealer their are some honest ones out their. I would buy used off someone take it for a spin and then ask to take it to a dealer to have it gone over. The dealer will be sure to check everything as they will want to get some extra work out of you.