Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Two rider rules in NY

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not worried about protecting it - I will build it a shed to keep it from the elements - I am worried about security. I will be very upstate to see 3k get stolen.

What other "older" ATV models that might not be made for two but can carry two size wise - you recommend me looking for?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're worried about it being stolen, and many of us are, get insurance. I've had several ATVs stolen and my insurance is still less than $100 a year from Progressive.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atvwannaB2
I am not worried about protecting it - I will build it a shed to keep it from the elements - I am worried about security. I will be very upstate to see 3k get stolen.

What other "older" ATV models that might not be made for two but can carry two size wise - you recommend me looking for?
I'm afraid for under $1000 dollars, you won't have many options available.
mostly small atv's in the 250cc range.

I honestly can't think of any atv that'll carry 2 adults (safety) for $1000-

look for a suzuki ozark 250, honda foremans....

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For negotiating an 800' muddy drive, yes an older 250 will be fine. Actually, the older machines usually have a much longer seat than you see on current models. You will want a utility for the fender coverage and ability to haul a few supplies I would guess.

atvwannab2, I am not looking to discourage you. Most state land is off limits to atv riders. Even if it is legal to ride there, you will need the machine licensed, registered, and will have to carry at least a liability policy. I have ridden some of the state land, and yes I have been stopped. Yes, I have seen the DEC and or police handing out tickets, and yes, I have seen them getting uppity about riding 2 up on a single machine. Some of the ute guys used to get around this by putting a "rack box" on the back. A lot of these have armrest like areas and are designed to basically be a seat. This was back 5 years or so ago about the time 2 up models were just hitting the dealerships. I am not sure if this is a viable alternative anymore.

Here in WNY, I see quite a few recons and the Kawie 220 2wd ute for $1500.00 or less. You would def. be looking at an older 4x4 at even the $2500.00 mark which really puts you close to the $$ to just get a couple smaller/older 2wd models. Heck, for that much cash you may be better off getting some gravel put down on that driveway instead.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Heck, for that much cash you may be better off getting some gravel put down on that driveway instead.
that was my point in his other thread-

it would be cheaper- or the same price to grade the 800' driveway and lay some gravel than it would be to buy and maintain a 4x4 atv.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally agree with BG on this, nothing would suck more than being a mile out with the wife on a trail when your ATV breaks down. Also keep in mind most trails arent accessible with a truck so it itsnt like you can just drive over and pick it.
That said i would definelty wiat until you could afford to spend a bit more on a decent 2 up machine.

Im not trying to throw mud in your eyes, but if your SUV wont make the muddy driveway what makes you think a small ATV will be easier? If it were me i would spend a day and have someone bring in some peastone or gravel for the driveway.