Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Financing a quad for a 17-year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing a quad for a 17-year old

I am looking at buying a new quad in the spring of this year, I am thinking about getting a sportsman 500. They are selling for around $5999 cdn around here, and I plan on selling my old quad for $1500 and using it as a down payment. My question is since I am only 17-years old will I need a cosigner to sign the loan for me? can a cosigner be anybody I know over 18 yrs old with good credit? or do I have any other options as financing a quad?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Get a job, save money, pay cash.

Not the answer you're looking for, but a much better option. As far as a cosigner goes, make sure it's not someone who will kick your butt if you default. And that leaves me off the list.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

i'll to get as much cash as I can but doubt I'll be able to save up $6000 but by the end of the summer I bet I could have most of the loan payed off as now i get about 30hrs a week and during the summer probably 40

Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Get a job, save money, pay cash.

Not the answer you're looking for, but a much better option. As far as a cosigner goes, make sure it's not someone who will kick your butt if you default. And that leaves me off the list.

I can't imagine any bank giving a 17 yo a loan to buy an atv-
very high risk- if you're able to pull it off some how... you better get full insurance coverage for that atv! nothing worse than paying off a loan for an atv that's only good for parts! you can expect to pay average $100 month on gas & maintenance over the course of a year, especially the first year during break-in procedure.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I make about $500-$600 every 2 weeks and I think I can easyily afford a new quad but can't they give me a loan if a parent or somebody cosigns the loan? or are there any other options?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Honestly, if you're making that much, save some and buy used.

And put some of that money into a retirement fund. Yeah, sucks I know. Didn't do it when I was your age and now I'm working instead of playing.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Once you get a cosigner who is approved , then they will give a money to a chicken for all they care since thats the person on the hook not you. Even a down payment is not necessary.
I never buy new, let the Guinea pig ,get it off the dealer for $6000 and take that first largest blow and then buy it in mint shape a year or two later for $4000 or $3500. plus the money you save on taxes (I,m Canadian) that is big!

$900 in tax on $6000 compared to $600 in tax for a mint shape one for $4000.
Total savings, $2300 for the same ATV.

As soon as its home and unloaded your new $6000 ATV is considered used and lost $1000 if you sold it the next day.
No one on this site is riding a NEW ATV only a very nice USED one at most.

Don,t worry about warranty,in Canada the warranty is only 6 months long and runs out while there sitting parked in a shed all winter any ways.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Forgot to mention, buying used cost more up front in a way than buying new .

When you show up at someones home you better have the "Cash" if you want to leave with that used ATV.

When you show up at a dealership you can be pi$$ a$$ broke and leave with a new ATV as long as you sign enough dotted lines.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

As others have said you will need a cosigner on the loan. We had to money to give my oldest son a quad if we wanted but found a good used one for him that he then paid us back for. After that, he wanted something sportier and around here the used deals weren't so good. So, we cosigned a loan because he is a responsible, hard working kid. If you take out loans on something this small and either make the payments on time or pay it off early it helps your future credit rating when it comes time to buy a car or later, a house.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

what I am thinking is that if I get a cosigner I will save up till spring get maybe like $3000 buy a $6000 sportsman 500 and just pay as much on it as I can whenever I can plus in the summer i will likely be working 40 hrs a week for a couple months
sound like a good idea?

Quick Reply: Financing a quad for a 17-year old