Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

lt250r a good quad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt250r a good quad?

Iam thinking of getting a new quad. I think a lt250r sounds like a good quad but I have a few questions. Are they pretty reliable? What year is best? And do they do good in somewhat muddy and open trails? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trail rider99
Iam thinking of getting a new quad. I think a lt250r sounds like a good quad but I have a few questions. Are they pretty reliable? What year is best? And do they do good in somewhat muddy and open trails? Thanks!

I would rate the LT towards the bottom of the reliability scale. I love 'em, have owned 'em, but I would have a riding buddy and a tow strap forever close by. A good PM program and liberal application of blue loc-tite helps though.

'87=best intake design/most power
'92=best suspension and probably most reliable in stock form

They do as well as most other sport quads in mud. A healthy '87+ will have plenty of legs to stretch on the wide open stuff.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I would rate the LT towards the bottom of the reliability scale. I love 'em, have owned 'em, but I would have a riding buddy and a tow strap forever close by. A good PM program and liberal application of blue loc-tite helps though.

'87=best intake design/most power
'92=best suspension and probably most reliable in stock form

They do as well as most other sport quads in mud. A healthy '87+ will have plenty of legs to stretch on the wide open stuff.
Ok but when stuff breaks is it cheap to fix? And are the 88-89 models any less good?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The '87 year was fine, it is the only year that shared the LT500 intake so it made better power. Over the rest of its' model run Suzuki made a few refinements from year to year. Nothing major if I remember correctly, so the '88/89 models will be a bit better than the '87 in some regards.

As for cheap, well it is a 2 stroke, so motor stuff is generally both easier and cheaper to fix than a 4 stroke. Bearings/bushings chassis stuff is about the same across all models with a few exceptions. The frames tend to be a weak spot, so check for cracks and rust issues. Be prepared to do some welding. I had some frame issues but if you don't abuse them they can last, just not as sturdy as they should have been.

There are a few places around the net dedicated to the old 2 strokes, that would be a good place to get some idea of what you are in for and what is possible.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

The '87 year was fine, it is the only year that shared the LT500 intake so it made better power. Over the rest of its' model run Suzuki made a few refinements from year to year. Nothing major if I remember correctly, so the '88/89 models will be a bit better than the '87 in some regards.

As for cheap, well it is a 2 stroke, so motor stuff is generally both easier and cheaper to fix than a 4 stroke. Bearings/bushings chassis stuff is about the same across all models with a few exceptions. The frames tend to be a weak spot, so check for cracks and rust issues. Be prepared to do some welding. I had some frame issues but if you don't abuse them they can last, just not as sturdy as they should have been.

There are a few places around the net dedicated to the old 2 strokes, that would be a good place to get some idea of what you are in for and what is possible.
Ok thanks for all the help

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

No problem. They really are great machines in their own right. The years you are looking at respond very favorably to performance mods, and it is pretty easy to tailor the powerband to your tastes. Smooth and tractable or typical big hit 2 stroke. If Honda hadn't absolutely nailed the chassis/handling on the TRX250R everyone would think LT when you said 250r, as they were the original 250R model.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

No problem. They really are great machines in their own right. The years you are looking at respond very favorably to performance mods, and it is pretty easy to tailor the powerband to your tastes. Smooth and tractable or typical big hit 2 stroke. If Honda hadn't absolutely nailed the chassis/handling on the TRX250R everyone would think LT when you said 250r, as they were the original 250R model.
Thanks. Are they good on hills?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by trail rider99
Thanks. Are they good on hills?
Yes. Lightweight and good power make for a good climber. Rider skill is often the limiting factor. Any 2 stroke will be more of a handful than a torquey 4 stroke on big or technical climbs though.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. Lightweight and good power make for a good climber. Rider skill is often the limiting factor. Any 2 stroke will be more of a handful than a torquey 4 stroke on big or technical climbs though.
Are they pretty fast compared to a 400ex?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Honda hadn't absolutely nailed the chassis/handling on the TRX250R everyone would think LT when you said 250r, as they were the original 250R model.
The original 250R model was the Honda ATC. And yes, the 250 2-strokes quads from Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki are faster than a 400ex and require a slightly different riding style.

Quick Reply: lt250r a good quad?