Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Utility ATV Brand is best?
Honda
20.83%
Polaris
41.67%
Yamaha
16.67%
Kawasaki
0%
Suzuki
4.17%
Can-Am
12.50%
Other
4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a Utility ATV, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:56 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really think a grizz 450 could out tow a foreman or rubicon?
In low range and diff lock , yes easily.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24

I do agree that a rincon may not be the right choice for egauter since he said he will only be doing a little bit of actual riding as opposed to hunting/working. I'd actually suggest the 2014 foreman 500. Honda designed it for work first. CVTs/irs for work/hunting don't really go together. Plus honda has that longevity reputation going for them
Depends on the quad with the IRS. The Sportsman X2 has a 400 lb. rating. It's not just a rating it will carry it. Very little squat under load. Probably no more than an ATV tire flattens under a moderate load. I was impressed with it except for long uphill sections of trail where you could open it up. The 500 with my weight on it just would not keep up, speed-wise, with the 700-800 class machines. This was riding both in snow and the rest of the year. If I had been able to find an 850 X2 (limited edition for one year) I would have gotten one instead of my present Outlander 650. I kind of miss its work abilities. It never ceased to amaze me. Once we were finishing up a long day of chipping branches in NH. My buddy had rented an industrial sized 4 cylinder chipper and it was down in the bottom of a field with a fairly steep grassy slope. By the time we were done dew had soaked the grass and it was impossible for us to pull the chipper up with our trucks. They just didn't have the traction even with 4wd and a rear locker. We put the hitch on my quad and I put it in low and it pulled it right up without a hiccup. Would I recommend that weight behind a quad? Nope. But, it did it. Of the 3600 harsh miles I put on the X2 about a 1/4th of it involved pulling wet hardwood up and down the hills in Vermont, and New Hampshire using a 4x4x3 trailer heaped up with oak, beech, maple, birch, and elm. Best guess would be around 800-900 lbs. based on how much each piece weighed.

CVTs get a bad rap. When used properly a belt is going to last thousands of miles. The big thing people do that wears the belts before their time is to have the transmission in high gear when towing, going through deep mud or snow, climbing steep rocky hills where you can't go up in high, you want to put it in low gear. I've never seen anyone burn a belt when they use the CVT the way it's meant to be used. In low gear you will dig 4 holes in the ground or lose traction before you'll snap a belt. Literally millions of riders hunt, tow, and enjoy riding quads with CVTs and IRS. IRS has a much better ride if ride comfort is one of your needs. Been on both IRS quads from 300's on up and on solid rear axle quads including my son's previous Polaris ATP 500 that had a solid axle, dumpbox, and a 400 lb. rated rear. The ride on that quad was abusive by comparison to the IRS with same ratings and engine size.

Just some thoughts. Don't let a CVT scare you. If they were as bad as some claim the majority of the major manufacturers wouldn't use them.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If the 700 is as good as the 660 then it's a very good quad.
Its just a modern form of a 660 with more power and mine has eps. Ive rode everything ppl on this thread are talking about and i do not think its even a close race. Like i said grizzly 700 FTW

Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
In low range and diff lock , yes easily.
I want what your smoking

Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Depends on the quad with the IRS. The Sportsman X2 has a 400 lb. rating. It's not just a rating it will carry it. Very little squat under load. Probably no more than an ATV tire flattens under a moderate load. I was impressed with it except for long uphill sections of trail where you could open it up. The 500 with my weight on it just would not keep up, speed-wise, with the 700-800 class machines. This was riding both in snow and the rest of the year. If I had been able to find an 850 X2 (limited edition for one year) I would have gotten one instead of my present Outlander 650. I kind of miss its work abilities. It never ceased to amaze me. Once we were finishing up a long day of chipping branches in NH. My buddy had rented an industrial sized 4 cylinder chipper and it was down in the bottom of a field with a fairly steep grassy slope. By the time we were done dew had soaked the grass and it was impossible for us to pull the chipper up with our trucks. They just didn't have the traction even with 4wd and a rear locker. We put the hitch on my quad and I put it in low and it pulled it right up without a hiccup. Would I recommend that weight behind a quad? Nope. But, it did it. Of the 3600 harsh miles I put on the X2 about a 1/4th of it involved pulling wet hardwood up and down the hills in Vermont, and New Hampshire using a 4x4x3 trailer heaped up with oak, beech, maple, birch, and elm. Best guess would be around 800-900 lbs. based on how much each piece weighed.

CVTs get a bad rap. When used properly a belt is going to last thousands of miles. The big thing people do that wears the belts before their time is to have the transmission in high gear when towing, going through deep mud or snow, climbing steep rocky hills where you can't go up in high, you want to put it in low gear. I've never seen anyone burn a belt when they use the CVT the way it's meant to be used. In low gear you will dig 4 holes in the ground or lose traction before you'll snap a belt. Literally millions of riders hunt, tow, and enjoy riding quads with CVTs and IRS. IRS has a much better ride if ride comfort is one of your needs. Been on both IRS quads from 300's on up and on solid rear axle quads including my son's previous Polaris ATP 500 that had a solid axle, dumpbox, and a 400 lb. rated rear. The ride on that quad was abusive by comparison to the IRS with same ratings and engine size.

Just some thoughts. Don't let a CVT scare you. If they were as bad as some claim the majority of the major manufacturers wouldn't use them.
I'm no stranger to cvts, I have a 650 outlander max also along with a few snowmobiles. They are reliable for the most part but they have obvious flaws.
The first being that they drain more power than a conventional gear on gear transmission. I think power loss is right around 30 percent. Also I just can't get over how high and loud they rev to get moving. Not very stealthy for hunting compared to a honda transmission. 30mph riding will give you a headache as opposed to a honda where you can shift into a higher gear. My rubicon has a d1,d2 and esp mode. D1 for sport, d2 for work and esp is electric shift. You can't compare any cvt to that. It's really a work of art. Third problem I have with a cvt is that they just are not water tight. Get the belt wet and you go no where. I've had problems with mice getting into my cvt box and making nests. If they can get in then you know water will be making its way in as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been in water up to the rack without getting my belt wet. They're sealed up pretty good. And Moose is right about it losing traction before the belt breaks. I tied on to a huge tree that was still standing and put it in low 4x4. It just sat there and dug four holes. It has traction that a 3-wheel drive Honda will never match even if it had the power.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It has traction that a 3-wheel drive Honda will never match even if it had the power.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, exactly!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by egautr1
Hello friends, I am brand new to this forum and new to four-wheeling and wanted to get your opinion on which Utility ATV to buy.

My family just bought some property in Southern Mississippi about an hour northeast of New Orleans. It is a very wooded area with several creeks and some hills. We need a utility ATV to do things such as clearing trails, pulling logs, moving rocks/dirt, towing small trailers, some trail riding, and we will also use it for hunting (deer, turkey, hog...). I am 6'2" and about 270 lbs. and my brother in law is about the same size. We will be the biggest guys to ride it, but want to be able to maybe carry another person as well (the wives and kiddos).

So... which utility ATV would fit the above listed duties. I have been looking at the 700 class atv's specifically the Polaris sportsman 850, the Honda Rincon, and the Yamaha Grizzly 700. Now I am not sure if we really need that much power or if the 500 class would work. I have ridden ATV's before, but have never owned one. So we want one that of course will be reliable but also has enough features to where almost anyone can ride it, and be comfortable doing it. We are looking at getting a new one as we plan on having it for several years. My father-in-law will be buying it so price isn't the number one concern but we also don't want to break the bank.

So right now I am kind of leaning to the Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS, but my brother-in-law only wants a Honda, and my father in law is leaning Polaris. So.... please help!! Any comments, advice, reviews, are welcome.

Also, please vote in the poll if you would like.....
despite what everyone says about pulling, an atv with 400cc and larger will pull more than it can actually handle. even small engine atvs will,but to be completely honest,id say anything 400cc or larger will do exactly what you want. Pulling a trailer that weighs more than say 750 lbs is gonna be about all you really want to pull "safely" . Keep in mind once your load gets to be heavier than the atv and you on it,it can and will push you around so it doesnt matter if it can tow 4,000 lbs. Its just unsafe, especially when going down hills,its hard to stop. On a side note but not recommended, i had a 300cc atv pull 4,000lbs in super low gear(this atv had high,low,and super low) but it bent my frame and ruined the bushings, and about blew the tires out so keep that in mind.
moving on ,the grizzly is an excellant atv for all applications. itll do all that you ask.
The polaris,same thing,good atv it will do all you ask of it
the honda, again,itll do it all.
I havent ridden a honda rincon so im not sure on how low gear is since it uses a torque converter and does not have a "low" gear to actually put it in. so if pulling is a concern id look into how itll handle what your wanting. They also do not offer a diff lock and yes at times you will wish you had it,especially in mud,snow,pulling for extra traction. some sort of diff lock is not a necessity but once you have had it youll always want it.
Polaris has a cvt,as long as you use low gear when needed you should not see any problems for thousands of miles. Use low in mud,plowing snow,pulling trailers,disk for food plots ect... high is usually recommended for speeds around 12-15mph or higher with no load,other than a rider. this helps keep stress off the belt. The 4wd works pretty good,it does fully lock when needed on its own when the 4wd button is on.
The yamaha,same cvt transmission,same rules apply as the polaris when hauling,plowing,ect... yamaha has the normal 2wd as the others do,then 4wd which transfers power back and forth to the 2 front wheels. This makes it easier to steer and works great when on lite muddy trails,snow,lite pulling. Then it has full differential lock, all 4 wheels lock up and turn true at all times giving the machine max traction.
All atvs have pros and cons,its up to the rider/owner to decide which best fits their ridding needs. Some people choose a dealer thats closest incase they have issues they dont have to drive farther for parts or service if needed. its personal preference. only you know whats comfortable for you.
Not sure if it'll even matter but Ill give my personal 2 cents on why i chose the machine i have (well one of them). I wanted a hunting rig for high altitude and low altitude so i wanted EFI, i wanted a large gas tank for extended trips,highest ground clearance i could get so it would be easier to run through the woods, deep snow,ect... i wanted differential lock,big racks for storage,and a good pulling low geared machine. my options pretty much left me with an automatic which was fine. My choice left me with an arctic at 700(camo) it gave me everything i wanted and for the past 6 years its never left me stranded and has performed extremely well. ive used it in wyoming,tennessee,missouri,kantucky,and montana.
Id like to recommend a king quad 750 or even a 500 for your needs, the single cylinder of these two produces great low end grunt for pulling. v twins/p twins tend to rev higher before they begin to pull what a single can pull at lower RPM. (i own a v twin also) the price of a new king quad is hard to beat. typically lowest price of all manufactures. hope you all find what your looking for

Old 01-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been comparing the specs on Honda and Polaris. I haven't slept much this morning so I may make some mistakes. If you want both IRS and selectable 4x2/4x4 on a Honda you have to get the top of the line Rincon. Honda finally showed up 20 years late to the party but at least they're at the table. If you compare The Rincon to the Sportsman 570 it may surprise you.

The Sportsman has a $300 rebate that makes it $3,000 cheaper than the Rincon. That's enough money to buy a tank of gas every week for close to 4 years. The 570 has more horsepower, 2 inches more ground clearance, and 1-1/2 inches longer suspension travel on the front and rear. It has fractionally lower seat height and bigger gas tank, so you may as well call those two even.

I don't see where Honda lists the rack capacities or towing capacity. The 570 lets you haul 270 pounds on the racks with a hitch towing rating of 1,225 pounds and unbraked trailer towing capacity of 1,786 pounds. I think the Rincon can tow half of that.

The only thing I see where the Polaris isn't equal to or better than the Honda is weight. The Sportsman weighs over 50 pounds more than the Rincon. The difference in weight doesn't bother me and I could use the extra $3,000 to pay off my house, car, and ATV insurance for a year.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Wink

Originally Posted by HondaR24
I want what your smoking
Its not cheap, I have to warn you.
Let,s play a word game.
Name a 4x4 ATV over 40hp that's not a CVT?

Quick Reply: Buying a Utility ATV, need help!