Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Utility ATV Brand is best?
Honda
20.83%
Polaris
41.67%
Yamaha
16.67%
Kawasaki
0%
Suzuki
4.17%
Can-Am
12.50%
Other
4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a Utility ATV, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Utility ATV, need help!

Hello friends, I am brand new to this forum and new to four-wheeling and wanted to get your opinion on which Utility ATV to buy.

My family just bought some property in Southern Mississippi about an hour northeast of New Orleans. It is a very wooded area with several creeks and some hills. We need a utility ATV to do things such as clearing trails, pulling logs, moving rocks/dirt, towing small trailers, some trail riding, and we will also use it for hunting (deer, turkey, hog...). I am 6'2" and about 270 lbs. and my brother in law is about the same size. We will be the biggest guys to ride it, but want to be able to maybe carry another person as well (the wives and kiddos).

So... which utility ATV would fit the above listed duties. I have been looking at the 700 class atv's specifically the Polaris sportsman 850, the Honda Rincon, and the Yamaha Grizzly 700. Now I am not sure if we really need that much power or if the 500 class would work. I have ridden ATV's before, but have never owned one. So we want one that of course will be reliable but also has enough features to where almost anyone can ride it, and be comfortable doing it. We are looking at getting a new one as we plan on having it for several years. My father-in-law will be buying it so price isn't the number one concern but we also don't want to break the bank.

So right now I am kind of leaning to the Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS, but my brother-in-law only wants a Honda, and my father in law is leaning Polaris. So.... please help!! Any comments, advice, reviews, are welcome.

Also, please vote in the poll if you would like.....

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The most utility oriented quad, bar-none, is the Polaris X2 550. It has a dump box instead of a rack on the back that can carry 400 lbs. The box also has a passenger seat that folds up out of the bed so a passenger can ride along with you on fun rides. I had a 2006 Polaris X2 500 that I liked a lot other than top speed. My understanding is the 550 has a few more horsepower so it probably is faster than the model I had. It was pretty trouble free until I mangled it a bit. Other than that is was a great machine. Has good on-board storage, can tow 1500 lbs., and now has power steering. Power steering is something I never thought I'd like that much but it is very nice, especially in slow tight trail work. 2014 Polaris Sportsman X2 550 EPS Sage Green ATV : Features
Polaris also has a more work oriented quad-width machine. The Big Boss 6x6 is by far the best work machine out there. 6 wheel drive, tows 1500 lbs., and can carry 800 lbs. in the dumpbox. It doesn't have a second passenger seat though. 2014 Polaris Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 EFI Sage Green ATV : Features

Hondas are super reliable but underpowered compared to other machines in their cc class. I don't think the Rincon even has full 4wd. The front is a limited slip unlike all other major brands that have full 4wd available. Rincon also does not have something as simple as adjustable shocks.

Grizzly is an all around great machine. Good 700 class power. Not fastest but good.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're riding 2-up you should have a 2-person ATV. That means Polaris, Can-Am, or Arctic Cat. Hardly anyone buys Arctic Cat but most of the people who do like them. I don't know much about Can-Am except that they have a lot of power, and their cheapest base models are the only ones you can get at a decent price. Polaris has a 570 touring that has 22% more power than the 500 that Moose had. The Polaris Touring is supposed to be the most comfortable ride with the 550 being even better handling than the 570.

If you don't want a 2 person ATV I would look at Yamaha and Polaris. Everyone I know rides one of those two. They and Honda are the best selling brands and there must be a good reason for that. Honda is low-powered compared to all other brands and doesn't have half the features, but some people love them. It seems like hardly anyone buys Suzuki and Kawasaki, and nobody makes any real work-oriented ATVs like Arctic Cat and Polaris do. Arctic Cat even makes a diesel for farmers but I'd rather have a Polaris.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

So... which utility ATV would fit the above listed duties. I have been looking at the 700 class atv's specifically the Polaris sportsman 850, the Honda Rincon, and the Yamaha Grizzly 700. Now I am not sure if we really need that much power or if the 500 class would work
Forget the 680 Rincon. Its has the power of the 500-550 class ATV due to its OHV motor and a very light 850lb towing capacity with its 3 speed tranny with no low range.

A old 350 Rancher has a higher tow rating of 1,100lbs then the Rincon. Look it up, I kid you not.
Also the Rincon is the only big bore made with no true 4wd system of any kind.

The 2014 Foreman 500 is Honda's only true 4wd ATV , it gets a diff lock font end this year. It aslo has a 1,200 lb tow rating due to its very low 1st gear.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with moosehenden. I have a 05 polaris 400 and it will do any thing I ask it to do in trails and since it has independent rear suspension its a lot softer than a lot of other utility quads. But one thing you need for them is a metal brush guard for the front. Since the front is plastic I hit a tree and it busted the hole front so if you get a polaris I would invest in a metal guard.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Forget the 680 Rincon. Its has the power of the 500-550 class ATV due to its OHV motor and a very light 850lb towing capacity with its 3 speed tranny with no low range.

A old 350 Rancher has a higher tow rating of 1,100lbs then the Rincon. Look it up, I kid you not.
Also the Rincon is the only big bore made with no true 4wd system of any kind.

The 2014 Foreman 500 is Honda's only true 4wd ATV , it gets a diff lock font end this year. It aslo has a 1,200 lb tow rating due to its very low 1st gear.
Wrong once again , the 2014 foreman still has the 850 pound towing capacity, right here on Hondas own website 2014 FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES/FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES with Electric Power Steering Features - Honda.com

You really need to stop misleading people, every post spews BS.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by egautr1

So right now I am kind of leaning to the Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS, but my brother-in-law only wants a Honda, and my father in law is leaning Polaris. So.... please help!! Any comments, advice, reviews, are welcome.

Also, please vote in the poll if you would like.....
you are leaning that right way my friend! grizzly 700 FTW

Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Wrong once again , the 2014 foreman still has the 850 pound towing capacity, right here on Hondas own website 2014 FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES/FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES with Electric Power Steering Features - Honda.com

You really need to stop misleading people, every post spews BS.
Sorry your correct the 500 Foreman also has a low 850lbs towing capacity according to your link , Is that a 2014 change also? I gave it more credit then 850lbs.

The smaller 450 Grizzly has a much larger 1,300 lbs tow rating 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 450 Auto. 4x4 Specifications, specs

Can any Honda tow over 1000lbs?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEC300ex
you are leaning that right way my friend! grizzly 700 FTW
If the 700 is as good as the 660 then it's a very good quad.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Sorry your correct the 500 Foreman also has a low 850lbs towing capacity according to your link , Is that a 2014 change also? I gave it more credit then 850lbs.

The smaller 450 Grizzly has a much larger 1,300 lbs tow rating 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 450 Auto. 4x4 Specifications, specs

Can any Honda tow over 1000lbs?
Sure they can. Corporate lawyers make that towing capacity. I'm sure the honda engineers would change that, given the chance. I once towed a trailer weighing around 2000 pounds in total with my beat to sh*Spam wordSpam word t foreman 400 before I sold it. My rubicon could probably out tow the foreman yet is still rated at the same 850. You really think a grizz 350-450 could out tow a foreman or rubicon? These bikes were made to work.
Admittedly, the Rincon is not a work bike, it's a trail riding bike. Still I'm sure if the small grizz is rated for 1300 then the rincon could do it too

I do agree that a rincon may not be the right choice for egauter since he said he will only be doing a little bit of actual riding as opposed to hunting/working. I'd actually suggest the 2014 foreman 500. Honda designed it for work first. CVTs/irs for work/hunting don't really go together. Plus honda has that longevity reputation going for them

Quick Reply: Buying a Utility ATV, need help!