Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Utility ATV Brand is best?
Honda
20.83%
Polaris
41.67%
Yamaha
16.67%
Kawasaki
0%
Suzuki
4.17%
Can-Am
12.50%
Other
4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a Utility ATV, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I've been comparing the specs on Honda and Polaris. I haven't slept much this morning so I may make some mistakes. If you want both IRS and selectable 4x2/4x4 on a Honda you have to get the top of the line Rincon. Honda finally showed up 20 years late to the party but at least they're at the table. If you compare The Rincon to the Sportsman 570 it may surprise you.

The Sportsman has a $300 rebate that makes it $3,000 cheaper than the Rincon. That's enough money to buy a tank of gas every week for close to 4 years. The 570 has more horsepower, 2 inches more ground clearance, and 1-1/2 inches longer suspension travel on the front and rear. It has fractionally lower seat height and bigger gas tank, so you may as well call those two even.

I don't see where Honda lists the rack capacities or towing capacity. The 570 lets you haul 270 pounds on the racks with a hitch towing rating of 1,225 pounds and unbraked trailer towing capacity of 1,786 pounds. I think the Rincon can tow half of that.

The only thing I see where the Polaris isn't equal to or better than the Honda is weight. The Sportsman weighs over 50 pounds more than the Rincon. The difference in weight doesn't bother me and I could use the extra $3,000 to pay off my house, car, and ATV insurance for a year.
I wonder where they cut costs to make up for that 3 grand difference. I just like honda, why you guys gotta try and push these cheap Mexican made atvs on everyone is beyond me. Hondas best feature isn't seen on a spec sheet. That 570 Polaris does have a nice motor but it is still polaris engineering ehh no thanks

Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by HondaR24
I wonder where they cut costs to make up for that 3 grand difference. I just like honda, why you guys gotta try and push these cheap Mexican made atvs on everyone is beyond me. Hondas best feature isn't seen on a spec sheet. That 570 Polaris does have a nice motor but it is still polaris engineering ehh no thanks
Does that include Yamaha,Suzuki,Kawasaki and Can-AM?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Does that include Yamaha,Suzuki,Kawasaki and Can-AM?
That's mostly polaris but any brand using a CVT is clearly compromising a lower quality transmission for features. But if that's what you like then go for it. I'll stick with Hondas from here on out. Can am and yamaha builds some nice bikes too but it all comes back to that belt drive CVT. Just not a fan.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Not trying to start anything but Don't contradict yourself. I'm not sure why you keep pushing a car built type transmission atv on everyone. (Because your a fan of them) I don't push anyone on the machines I own because it may not be what they want. Just insight of what's out there. Maybe other features of an atv is what a customer wants and if the "torque converter" is what everyone wanted then they would by the honda. Hondas have good reliable Atvs but there are several others that are just as good these days. Look at a pure honda forum, what do you see? Problems that people have had with their Hondas because they want to get problems resolved. Just like this site. Good info on here as to ask for help in many ways. Using a cvt is not all that bad maybe you should try it. The manufacturers use cvt for cost, weight,ect... And it works. Ever ask what it's gonna cost when that transmission needs rebuilt? My belt costs me around $60. I can change it in about an hour on my own, even on a trail if needed to and I'll probably never need one to begin with. And I have seen several belts last 6-8,000 miles on stock machines. I'll continue to give up Hondas "reliability" because the others are just about the same for what I need on reliability and offer more for my money in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's mostly polaris but any brand using a CVT is clearly compromising a lower quality transmission for features. But if that's what you like then go for it. I'll stick with Hondas from here on out. Can am and yamaha builds some nice bikes too but it all comes back to that belt drive CVT. Just not a fan.
Belts hardly ever break but if I do break one I can get a lot of spares for $3,000. I'm not willing to pay that much extra for Honda's reputation. I can get a Can-Am, Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Suzuki, or Kawasaki and not pay so dearly for their name. I'm not sure what I will get next but it won't be a Honda.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

but it all comes back to that belt drive CVT. Just not a fan.
You let us know when you find a serious 4x4 that is not a CVT.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've ridden many Hondas. The Big Red a buddy's son owned was, by far the funnest. The Recon with the semi-automatic was fun too and pretty bulletproof. The Rincon, Honda's flagship had to be the worst automatic quad I've ever been on. 3 speed transmission without a real low range to speak of. Rode it out in Utah. First, it was underpowered for a 700 cc class machine. Disappointing. Second the lowest gear would let the quad roll down hills at 18 or so mph before any noticeable engine braking took hold. Not fun when you're trying to crawl down a hill with deep ruts and 2-3 foot high rock ledges. Had to stay on the brakes the whole time on the downhills. Every CVT quad I've had (Polaris Xplorer 250, Sportsman ATP 500, and Sportsman X2) had better engine braking than the Rincon. With both the Rincon and a Rancher IRS with a 420 cc the transmission never seemed to be in the right gear for what I needed in each situation. The Rancher, with the 5 speed, at least had good engine braking.

Another oddity to me is both the Hondas I rode last August didn't have any adjustment in the rear shocks.....??????????? Really??????????? I suppose Honda thinks the quad is set just right for my admittedly overweight 350 lbs. and some average sized guy who weighs 170. Couldn't do a thing to get rid of the squat. Talk about cheaping out on the customer.

I honestly want to see Honda bring some real competition to the table. I have one of their Accords and it's been a great vehicle. It's time for them to offer the power, on-board storage, ride comfort, and still stay reliable in their ATV lines. I know they can do it but they just haven't.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
You let us know when you find a serious 4x4 that is not a CVT.
x2 my man, agree with everything you posted on this thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Egautr1, just curious have you looked at anything or test drove anything?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
Egautr1, just curious have you looked at anything or test drove anything?
Hahaha that dude only posted once, i think we overwhelmed him LOL

Quick Reply: Buying a Utility ATV, need help!