Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Utility ATV Brand is best?
Honda
20.83%
Polaris
41.67%
Yamaha
16.67%
Kawasaki
0%
Suzuki
4.17%
Can-Am
12.50%
Other
4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a Utility ATV, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper9789
Do you have any real dyno graphs to prove your point? I hope you realize that a dyno only works if you know the exact gearing. Which is impossible with a cvt. Lets see the dyno that is not corrected. A 300hp truck can put down 1000hp in 1st gear.
Ehs racing has all the dynos if you want to give them a look but I already posted both the grizzly and raptor dyno sheet from him. EHS racing is a small racing company that builds high powered atv motors but they mostly sell "big 3" kits (full exhaust,programmer, custom lid/filter). They dyno every bike that can be fitted with a barkers exhaust both stock and modded (big 3).
Most atvs come from the factory extremely corked up to meet emissions rating so Testing the bikes will full exhaust/fuel map and proper intake will give a much more accurate number than truly stock bikes. Both the grizzly and the raptor are given the same exhaust, programmer and intake setup. Both were tested on the same dyno so the EHS numbers are most likely the most accurate way to depict the difference. The Raptor dynos at 48 with the big 3,the grizzly is only 33 to the rear wheels with the same mods. I posted these numbers/ehs dyno runs a few posts ago. I suggest you take a look at them before you make outrageous claims

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

^ you have no idea how a dyno works.

On topic, The grizzly is going to be a much better choice for you.
For a utility atv all you really need is a locking diff, independent suspension and payload.
Fuel injection would be preferred but not necessary.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can pee further than anyone in this thread.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Opened this thread back up at OP's request.

Last edited by MooseHenden; 03-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bought a new ATV!!!

Well guys thanks for all the advice and opinions on which utility atv I should buy. But we got our new four wheeler!

We went with the Honda Rancher 4x4 with power steering and a manual transmission. And so far it is pretty great! For what we will be using it for, it should be a great choice. The manual is really fun to drive and very capable. It has some pretty good power and a little zip to it. Granted, as I previously said I don't have a ton of experience on atvs so I don't have a lot to compare to. It is really fun and easy to drive. We wanted something to work and play and wanted it to be reliable and we got that in a Honda. Should work out really well for us.

One of my main complaints is the reverse function though. I just don't like it. You have to push the little R button in, hold the brake, down shift into reverse and then go. Not a huge deal, and it is pretty easy to do, just seems a little cumbersome to me. Minor complaint though. The 4x4 is easy to engage and seems to work pretty good, haven't gone into any deep mud yet though! Everyone likes it so far and should be a really good bike. Here is the factory pic. Will post some photos soon.

Also, I now want to get one of my own. I am thinking in the next year or so, but I will want to buy a used one. I am still leaning toward a yamaha grizzly from a few years back. What would be a good year to get a used grizzly. Like in the 300-500 range?

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys. Will post some in action shots of the new rancher soon.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new quad. Looking forward to the action shots.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the new "toy"

Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Cool

Considering what you've given me on what you need, the Polaris 6 X 6 would do you just fine. I own one, and up here in Canada, mine has tracks for snow travel also. I know you don't need that but the option is there. It's a monster in the bush and across frozen lakes. Mine is chain drive but I think the newer ones are shaft. Don't quote me on that. Had her loaded up with firewood. Had to load up the front too to keep her down but she muscles out of the bush like a bulldozer. I love it.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by egautr1
Well guys thanks for all the advice and opinions on which utility atv I should buy. But we got our new four wheeler!

We went with the Honda Rancher 4x4 with power steering and a manual transmission. And so far it is pretty great! For what we will be using it for, it should be a great choice. The manual is really fun to drive and very capable. It has some pretty good power and a little zip to it. Granted, as I previously said I don't have a ton of experience on atvs so I don't have a lot to compare to. It is really fun and easy to drive. We wanted something to work and play and wanted it to be reliable and we got that in a Honda. Should work out really well for us.

One of my main complaints is the reverse function though. I just don't like it. You have to push the little R button in, hold the brake, down shift into reverse and then go. Not a huge deal, and it is pretty easy to do, just seems a little cumbersome to me. Minor complaint though. The 4x4 is easy to engage and seems to work pretty good, haven't gone into any deep mud yet though! Everyone likes it so far and should be a really good bike. Here is the factory pic. Will post some photos soon.

Also, I now want to get one of my own. I am thinking in the next year or so, but I will want to buy a used one. I am still leaning toward a yamaha grizzly from a few years back. What would be a good year to get a used grizzly. Like in the 300-500 range?

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys. Will post some in action shots of the new rancher soon.
If you want to buy a used Grizzly, get a 660. Can get a good used one for around $3500. Good power, irs, front locker, good ride and tons of accessories available. Great all-around machines for work or play. Another good choice would be a 450 Kodiak, known as the 450 Grizzly now. Costs a bit less than the 660, a bit smaller too, about the same size as the Rancher. Newer models have irs, older models with the solid rear axle but both have a front locker like the 660 Grizzly. Less powerful than the 660, probably about on par with the 420 Rancher, still enough to be pretty sporty though.