Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sold ATV now buyer wants to return

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold ATV now buyer wants to return

Hello,
This is my first post. I recently sold an atv. We met at a gas station as i don't like people at my house. He looked it over and started it up briefly. We agreed on the price and exchanged the title and cash. The next day he texts me and asks about a noise in the engine. It has a bunch of engine work, hot cam, bigger piston, higher compression etc. I tell him it is the cam and I have talked to hot cams as well as other forums and it is normal tick with there stage 3 cam. A couple days later he now wants to return it because he says it is a problem and I mislead him by not telling him about it. It is normal so why would I say anything. I do not want it back but he is threatening to sue. He says ibwas hiding it by not lettijg him ride it and meeting at a gas station. He never objected or asked to ride it. Does he have anything on me or is it sold as is?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluerzr2016
He never objected or asked to ride it. Does he have anything on me or is it sold as is?
That's his baby now.. He never insisted on test riding a used machine. Give him the number to Hot Cams and call it a day. Tell him you'll sue him for harassment if he continues to call you..You're not a dealer and depending on where you live the 3 day period doesn't involve used machines unless in writing.Plus being a private sale,don't think this guy has a leg to stand on.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wasn't thinking about this wrong. Well he is insisting on a lawyer saying I should have told him about the noise. I think he has a bad lawyer if he is pushing this along and thinking he will win.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once the title and money are exchanged, sale is final. It is a bit weird that the sale took place at a gas station but that was what he agreed upon. Maybe its a good thing now, he most likely would be stalking you at your home. Even buying from a dealer, unless there is a warranty, its pretty much buy at your own risk. I just traded my Grizzly for the Brute Force I have now at my local dealer. I feel a bit more confident buying from them as I feel they actually look a machine over before selling it. The Grizzly was a craigslist buy and it has soured me a bit from buying privately. It was junk from the start as I just kept pouring money into it fixing things. It would have been nice to dump it back on the previous owner as it was obviously flawed when he sold it to me but I realize that's the risk of buying a used machine. I probably paid a few hundred more for this Brute Force than I would have privately but hopefully it will pay off in the end as I won't be spending that money on repairs and more importantly be able to ride it whenever I want and it not be waiting on parts or something.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

It works both ways, I bought my Arctic Cat from a moron who thought it had a bad motor for $400. Nope, it had a mouse nest in the gas tank. Driven it another 2,000 miles since cleaning the tank. A replacement gas cap is very cheap.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hydrex
It works both ways, I bought my Arctic Cat from a moron who thought it had a bad motor for $400. Nope, it had a mouse nest in the gas tank. Driven it another 2,000 miles since cleaning the tank. A replacement gas cap is very cheap.
That is true. Some people have no idea how to diagnose the simplest problems. I'm not a great mechanic myself but I can generally at least figure out what the problem is. But when you buy from a moron, odds are usually not in your favor. Sometimes you do get lucky.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep...just as the others have stated...you owe him nothing. As long as you did not imply or have anything in writing about a warranty he is on his own.
A lot of people think that because the say attorney..everyone will jump. No attorney in his right mind will touch that unless he has something in writing.
Probably has a buddy that will pretend to be an attorney for a few beers.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Probably has a buddy that will pretend to be an attorney for a few beers.
Have actually heard stories like this from customers. Wish I could remember all the things I saw and heard over the years at the shop...I could write a book.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Have actually heard stories like this from customers. Wish I could remember all the things I saw and heard over the years at the shop...I could write a book.
Exactly. Why believe anything that someone who wants to sue you has to say? This person is trying to bully the seller into giving him his money back. He will try whatever tactics he can, whether honest or not.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Heck yea...probably a best seller!! But then you would be so rich we wouldn't hear from you again.....we would definitely miss all your tech input.

Quick Reply: Sold ATV now buyer wants to return