Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Dealing with Dealers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that dealing was going to be easy..but after visiting 3 dealerships i learnt the hard way... None of the ATV dealerships that i have been to with a friend have been willing to bargin at all, sales tax or otherwise!!! They just say well with the price you are getting then theres not much more we can do... Im not sure what to do..

Does anyone have any tips or secrets that they use to get a great deal..cause im sure having a hard time...

( This is my first ATV purchase and i am 19 years old )

BlackIce

Old 01-19-2002, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought my 3rd quad a 02 grizzly today. I called one this morning then another and the 2nd one told me to make him my last call to see if he could be the best previous price. Retail for what I wanted was $8555 out the door and I ended up paying $7550 out the door from the guy I called last. They were very willing to negotiate. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I never pay tax, but I always buy out of state./toys/. Come to Chicago and you can get the Grizz for $6500.Call more places..?!
J.

Old 01-20-2002, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cash don't hurt. I pulled $2,000 and put it on the table once in front of one of those "tough" salespeople. I said to him "this is what I want to pay, heres my deposit take it or leave it.".....FC Pana

Old 01-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a tip that I learned from Consumer Reports several years ago.

Find the model you're looking for at several different dealerships. Go to each one and tell them the same thing. Tell the guy/gal that you intend to buy that model as soon as you know the best deal. A common reply is to find a deal and then bring it back to them. Don't go for it. Tell them to give you a price, one that will guarantee them a sale. Let them know up front that you do not intend to use their price as leverage, nor will you let them know the price offered by anyone else. The most important step is to be honest in telling them that you intend to buy the unit just as soon as you know who has the best price. In essence, your goal is to create a bidding situation where they KNOW a buyer is ready to spend. Ifyou are honest and convincing, a good saleperson will do his/her best not to loose the opportunity at a guaranteed purchase.

I followed this approach when I bought my last pickup and ended up getting it from the first guy who offered me a price.

The goal of a car or ATV saleperson is to see how much you are willing to pay. You have to change the rules of the game to "for how much less are you willing to sell it."