Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer.......Looking for entry level ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think that Polaris outsells all the other manufacturers combined. Up here in MN where Polaris and Arctic Cat plants are a mere 100 miles apart, Polaris has a near 50% marketshare. MN buyers realize that Polaris awards parts contracts to small business in small communities all over northern and central MN. Therefore, Minnesotans express their loyalty and mainly buy Polaris. From what I understand, Honda still has the national marketshare lead. Polaris does have many more dealerhships and I believe that they add up to about equal to all the others combined. That is the case here in MN. But I also understand that Polaris treats the dealers like expendable soldiers. They only give perks rewards to the dealers who basically kiss their ***. Not trying to slam Polaris because I really like their ATV's. I think that they have the best overall lineup in the market. But I have heard this from ATV dealers who deal with Polaris and usually one or two other manufacturers. The dealer salesman say that they get a heck of a lot better treatment and manufacturer to salesman spiffs from Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. And you noticed that Polaris promo tooting about a free winch. That only works for dealers who meet Polaris's ideal for ATV dealerships. Some Polaris dealerships are quite pissed off that they cannot get the promo but they say its because Polaris won't allow them to have it! Mind you, this is all what I have heard during my four month search for an ATV. I am a travelling salesman so I have stopped by over 50 dealerships in ND and MN. These words are not my opinion. I am just passing the news along.

Daryn

Old 03-13-2002, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I won't use the wheeler in the deep snow >4" that's what the sleds are for. No ATV should be on any public trail with snow more than 4" deep IMHO...at least in MI. I'd like to plow if I wanted to, but it is not mandatory. My budget is 4k +/- a little. Thats cash. If I take a loan then of course I could go higher. I'd rather not take a loan. I'll probably look for a good used deal. What I'm looking at are the 250 and 300 class, and I'm looking at Arctic Cat, Honda, and Polaris. I'm looking at Cat an Polaris because I'm familiar with them and their dealers. I've owned sleds for over 20 years. I'm looking at Honda, because I've ridden them in the past, and they are one very good reliable machine.

Thanks for the replies....

-jeff

Old 03-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Xplorer 250,best quad for the money.It will do what ever you want.Ask around & try to find someone that does not like them for the amount money spent.

Old 03-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure you read guys...bubbascrambler stated " ....there must be a reason POLARIS sells more AUTO atvs than all others COMBINED....he didn't say all atvs...just automatics...he may be right there.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for a 350 Rancher....get the 4X4 for easy plowing.

Old 03-14-2002, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

bartojc2000, I'll try and anser a couple of your questions.Between 2wd and 4wd I would go with the 4wd in the snow. Now I don't speak from personal expeirence with snow but from reading here 4wd is the way to go. When it comes to mud or hill climbing it will help a bunch. The extra money spent is usually well worth it and if you decide to sell it they retain there value better in my opinion.As for using a 250/300cc to plow snow I think the machines that have low range will do fine if you do only light plowing that you mentioned. One thing of importance is if you plan on doing a bunch of plowing you might go with a automatic. The ease of shifting from foward to reverse is easier.You might go to the different forums and ask about the bikes that you are considering or do a search in them for your questions.
I'm a little biased but for the money you have take a good look at the Arctic cats. Go ride'em all and see what you like though.Good Luck!