Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

n00bi3 needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys, i'm new to this forum and to atv'ing for that matter and i have a couple of question. i'm looking into buying a new or used atv and i am stuck between the warrior and the 400ex. i've heard alot of good things about the 400ex (especially for new riders) but my friends say that the warrior is better. one says that with a $300 suspension kit, the warrior will ride just like the 400ex. is this true? they also prefer the warrior because of it's reverse. do you guys use reverse alot? i'm gonna be doing both trail and sand riding. and now to add to my confusion, i'm reading some rave reviews about the z400 from suzuki. should i just wait for the suzuki to come out? i want something that will last me a long time and not have to upgrade (performance wise) 'till i get better. thanks.

Old 03-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 400EX is a better bike than the Warrior hands down. They are both good bikes but the older style Warrior will get out motored, out suspended and out handeled by the Honda every time. The only straight out advantage the Warrior has is the reverse. I've had 2 Warriors and trail ride so I would consider the reverse a big advantage.

If you are buying new, get the Honda or wait for the new Zuki. If used, you'll be able to get into the sport much cheaper by getting a Warrior as they have remained mostly unchanged since the late 80's. There are a lot of them out there and you can get a good one in the mid 2K range.

Jaybee

Old 03-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

do you think i'll save money in the long run by waiting for the suzuki or just buy a used warrior and build it up as i improve? thanks for the quick reply.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

If you are new to the sport I would recommend finding a used bike. Less investment up front. You may wind up modding your original bike or you may learn enough about how/where you ride to choose a different bike. Buying a used Warrior is a pretty safe investment. Unless you damage it you can resell it for most if not all of the money that you have in it. You could also do the same with a used 400EX, it's just that there are many more Warriors out there to choose from. As for the 'Zuki400 I would definately recommend waiting. Even if you decide that the Zuki is what you want you can give it time to work out any bugs or recalls that they may have plus you'll have better bargaining power after it's been around for a while.

I borrowed a friends Warrior for the first time I rode. I was hooked enough to know that I wanted my own ATV. I got a used Warrior and started riding. After 9 months I figured out that what I really wanted was a 4x4. I sold the Warrior for $200 less than I paid for it and got a 4wd bike.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Jaybee

Old 03-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

right on man. thanx a bunch. i'm still abit skeptical about the warrior but you got me leaning towards it now. how about a baja650 or a raptor? j/k.

Old 03-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Okay...I've owned a warrior, and just recently I bought a new 400ex. I love the Honda. It's amazing how much better it handles, jumps, accellerates, etc.... I think I got spoiled having reverse, but after riding a bit, you learn to set yourself up so that you don't need reverse. Even if you have to get off of the bike for a couple seconds, the 400ex is pretty light, and easy to get turned around. There are some downsides to the warrior.... lack of power, bad airbox/filter desing, and chain adjustment is a real pain in the $%&!!.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

but for a new rider stand point do you still think the 400ex is a better bike or does that reverse really help out alot? like i mentioned earlier, i'm going to be doing some trail and sand riding. does the reverse help out that much?

Old 03-18-2002, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

It's all going to boil down to what you want out of your ATV and how you like to ride. Like I said above, for me and the type of riding that I do, not only did I need reverse but I also needed 4wd too.

If you are a strict sport rider, the Honda is the better quad - even with no reverse. The question remains as to which is the better quad for you. That's why my advice is to get into the sport for some lower, more recoverable dollars. Basically, (and don't take this wrong) right now you don't know enough about ATV's to know which one would be your "ultimate" ATV. Make your best guess for the ride that you think fits your needs and budget, you can always sell it later to move up if needed.

As to the DS650 and the Raptor......both good bikes, the Yamaha is a little more versatile as it is a better trail bike. But, both are fairly new models and will cost more.

Jaybee

Old 03-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

another question. what's the power and top speed on the 400ex and the warrior? btw, i'm 5'7" and 150lbs.

Old 03-19-2002, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

ATV Action (March 2002) listed the Honda 400ex top speed at 66.8 mph. I would expect the Honda to be a notch or two faster than the Warrior.

At 5' 7" and 150 lbs, you'll fit either machine. The Warrior is known to fit tall (over 6') riders very well.

Jaybee