Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help out a n00b for his first quad.... :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys! This is my first post at these forums but I plan on contributing as much as I can as I grow into the sport. I've always wanted an ATV since I was a little kid and I finally, at 28, have a chance to get one!! Woo-Hoo!!!

I'm 6'0" and weigh right around 175, give or take a couple of pounds. This is going to be my first ATV so I'm not looking to get the baddest thing on 4 wheels. I'm moving to NH come June 1st and will be doing quite a bit of trail type riding with a friend of mine who just bought a 2002 Polaris Trailblazer. Where I will be living there is a state sponsored trail that's 3 miles from my house. It runs 18 miles along an abandoned and removed railway bed with some trails cut off to the side. I'll also be trailering the quad up to different trail rides within NH. So most of my riding will be more trail oriented with the occasional small "jump" thrown in for fun.

I'm not looking to go bonzai through the wilderness. I want to get a good size ATV that is easy to ride, has decent manners, and can take some abuse once in awhile. I'm looking to buy a new 2002 or new 2001 4X2 model right off the showroom floor around the $4500 price range. The type of quad I was looking at was in the sport/utility class. I was balancing a few models that I will list in a sec. Take a look and let me know if I'm looking at the right type of machine. I'll probably also be using this ATV to do a little driveway plowing at the new digs so that kinda factors into it.

The 3 quads I was interested in order of preference are :

Honda Rancher ES
Kawasaki Prarie 300/400
Polaris Magnum 325

From reading online about these 3 ATVs, I've found that the Honda seems to be the more suitable one out of the three in terms of the type of riding I will do and it's more "sporty" character. I want an ATV that has a full floorboard so I don't get completely covered in mud the first time I go bonzai through a mud pie. Also, I'm looking to get an automatic tranny or an automatic 5-spd system vis-a-vis the Honda.

I hope that is most of the info you guys could use to help me out. I plan on trying to get out this weekend so I can at east ride the Honda. With the info I have up there, do you guys think I am looking in the right direction with the quads I mentioned above? Give me your opinions if you have a minute. I'd really like to hear from you!

Thanks in advance for checking out this thread. I'm looking forward to bringing home a new quad at the end of May!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

I do not know alot about these three quads you listed, but I do not think that you can really go wrong with any of them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I can not comment much on the Honda or AC.
You will have to sit on the honda, I find that honda's seam to be build too small for larger riders. They are however good machines.
I have heard nothing but good things on the CAT line up, but I have only seen them on the show room floor at my dealer. (Never seen one out on the trail or even being riden for that matter.)

I can say that I have heard and read many times that the 325 Magmun is very under powered for its size. Your buddies Trailblazer will probably beat it bad. You said you want to spend about $4500.00. You may want to up what you want to pay, and look at the Scrambler line up. The Scramblers are very nice bikes. More power, More Suspension and a 4x4 option ( you said Mud, so you will need it). Plus a Scrambler can be upfited with a plow also. I have a 2000 400 4x4 and for me there is not a better bike on the market for a combination of sport/utility. I think you should be able to get a 500 Scrambler for $5200.00

Old 04-26-2002, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

I think that is you going in the Util type quad for trail riding and snow plowing, I would seriously consider a 4 wheel dive. I will not own an ATV without it. Yes they cost more,but in the long run you can do more with them and you never no when you will need it. just like a winch!

Old 04-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

gddyup,

just went through this myself with similar choices. I haven't ridden any of these but considered them. Keep in mind that I'm new too and this is only my opinion... give it whatever weight you see fit. For the record, I don't wish to down anyones ride, these opinions are based on what I wanted out of a machine.

Honda rancher: Personnaly, I wanted an automatic (for the wife) and I was afraid of the electronic shift with water crossings and mud etc. I haven't heard of any problems and it appears most people are very happy.

Kawasaki Prairie: The models your looking at are full time 4wd. I wanted to be able to select 2wd for donuts, sliding the tail out etc.. The new 360 and 650 have selectable 2/4wd but were out of my price reange.

Polaris Magnum 325: Seriously consided. Finally decided I would not be happy with the power to weight ratio. If memory serves, this machine was not light and some commented that the engine size should have been larger given the machines weight.

I wanted utility with some sport qualities. My top chioce was the Yamaha Kodiak but I couldn't find any good used ones at my rice level and thje new ones were too expensive. I ended up with a new Suzuki Eiger and haven't regretted it at all. Great all around machine and excellent price. No problems so far but I haven't even reached the first service yet. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

GDDYUP...i have the rancher so i'll tell you about that....first of all, if you can afford to get 4x4, get it...that way, it's there when you need it...and you will need it...that being said, the honda is not the greatest of the 4WD as it is not true 4WD....but it is alot better than 2wd...the rancher has lots of clearance...9.7 inches...good low first gear for pulling or plowing....not the smoothest ride out there, but not bad....quite comfortable for me (6'2", 205 lbs)...fast enough...will do 45 mph...if you are one of the lucky ones it will do just a bit better than 50...and with any luck, it will have the reliability honda is reputed to have...good luck with whatever machine you choose...