Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Want opinon on best quad for me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want opinon on best quad for me!

Ok...well i prob wont be buying anything this year..maybe next summer..but just curious what would be somthing good! Now i will prob be going used as well..

Ok..what im looking for is somthing sporty but has 4wd. My brother has a 00 polaris xplorer 250 and my dad has a kawi 650 prarie. Both nice bikes..love the 650!

We do mostly trail riding here, mud, snow, rocks and such, but i'd like my quad to be able to do some jumps and such, be able to take it to the dunes and such. I'd like to be able to keep up with the other bikes around here..SOOO..what should i get?

I'd love to get a banshee or raptor, but i think somthing with 4wd would be better for my type of riding. Most polaris have the 2wd/4wd switch which i really like...are the scrambler bikes very good? I was thinking the 400 2stroke..woudl that be the better bike then the 500 4stroke?

any other ideas on what to get?

Old 11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

For a sporty 4x4 you said the one and only. A Scrambler 4x4 is great. Your only other chose would be a Yamaha Wolverine.
Some are considering the 650 prarie a sporty ride because of it outstanding speed and handling.
I can tell you I couldn't be happier with my Scramblers. I consider it the best of both worlds, I use it year round. It has good power, soft suspension, and pretty good handling.
No it will not out run a Banshee or haul as mush as a Prarie. It does exactly what I need it to.

If you plan to buy new you will no longer be able to get a 400 4x4 unless you find a 400 Scrambler X a dealer may have in stock. The 400 and 500 are about the same in stock form. When you start adding Mods the 400 will give you more bang for the buck. If you planed to leave it stock the 500 is the better machine, also the low end 4 stroke torque is great on the trails.The Scramblers are great machines. I have three polaris GenIII machines and have not had one major problem. Like any atv keep up on the maintenance and it will take care of you. I am sure the others on here will be able to tell you more about the Wolverine.

Old 11-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response! Any other opinions?

Old 11-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

like bubahyde said.... the only thing in the same class of the scrambler is the wolverine.

my buddy got one and there is nothing to compare with my scrambler.

the engine is a 350, on high speed it's not bad ( a little slower then me ) but in order to get that speed with a 350 you have to handicap the torque... even on 1 st gear you can easly feel the transmission slip when you try to get out off a ditch for exemple.

the only way a wolverine is better then a scrambler it's ehen you cross a hole of mud at high speed becasu the tire on the wolverine are bigger... but on a slippery surface like snow or not deep mud, even at slow speed in the big mud the scrambler is better because of its real 4X4.

i don't want to trash the quad, but if you get a wolverine you won't enjoy it. better go with a full sport like a ds 650, raptor 660 or the new predator 500, then a wolverine or even a big working boy such as the kawa you're talking about or a sportsman.

but if you don't want to work hard with it get a scrambler 500 4X4... i got a 2001 and its a very nice bike.

maybe not as reliable as a honda... but way, way, way more powerfull and confortable and efficient on any terrain.

on my 2001 i had the rear break caliper fixed, i lost a big bolt that hold the swing arm once... but some locktite and it never moved again. i woldn't happen with a honda... but it dosen't worth it :-)

go ahead and find a dealer close to you lolololololololo :-)

my opinion.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ok..so which one..the 400 or 500?? i wouldnt be hauling or anything with it..just trail riding and such..i think the 400 would be better cause i'd prob go with an aftermarket exhaust and such..just a bit more ponys..

OH and if i was going iwth used,..are there better years then others? what shoudl i look for in a used bike?

Old 11-27-2002, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

i would go with a 500, 2000 or sooner.... 'cause before that they had a chain for the front wheel drive and i eard a lot about them not being very reliable.

you'll get more milage out of a 4 stroke then a 2 stroke in the same conditions... so, the 500 will have a longer life...

and from my part, i wouldn''t like to beat the $hit out of a 2 stroke on a hot summer day... but i do anything with my 500 and it always keep itself cool.

my opinion

Old 11-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

oh.... also make sur the oil in the transmission was changed every year and make sure ther is no water in it...

i drawned mine once and forgot to change the oil in the transmission... guess what happened few months later. a nice crack in the case and a 1500$ crack in my bank account !!!

Old 11-29-2002, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

A lot of people ask this question, 400 or 500 ?
There are some factory to help you decide.
1. Do you plan to leave it STOCK or add aftermarket modification to your machine.
*Stock VS Stock I prefer the 500. In stock form the 400 might be a little faster on top-end but, The low and mid range on the 500 is more fun on the tight windy trails. Low and Mid range is were you actually use the bike.
* Aftermarket Mods are very common, MORE POWER. If you plan to add mods I prefer the 400 much, much more. After you pipe and clutch a 400 it become a new bike all around. The 400 responds better to mods, More bang for your buck, also more availability, ((Currently, I say currently because with 2 strokes being phased out (See 2) we are seeing more advanced stuff for 4 strokes but $$$$$$)).

2. Noise and Restrictions.
A 4 stroke is a little quiter, and a little friendlier to our environment ( or so thats what the government wants us to believe ) This may not be a big deal to you now ,but our riding areas are getting slim, some area have strict laws for noise levels. Also I belive some 2 strokes are Red tagged in California,meaning any off-road motorcycle or ATV manufactured after January 1, 1997, must meet state emission standards to get a green sticker. Currently this is only in California I believe, but you have to wonder, what if than happened in my state????
3. Rebuilds.
* A 2 stroke will need a rebuild before a 4 stroke, but a 2 stroke is easier and Cheaper to do.
* A 4 stroke will go longer before rebuild time, but when that time comes, well Timing chain, cam shafts, Valves. All these Items wear and the cost is quite substantial, Not to mention more involved.
<U>Now used machines
</U>
I would not recommend anything prior to 1998.
Pre 98 machines were not rear concentric drive and were chain drive up front vs shaft.
Both non concentric drive and front chain drive were known to be problematic
2000 models got a rear suspension upgrade (Added 2" of travel and a 2 stage spring)
2000 models got updated heim style tie rod ends
2001 models received updated brakes (Steel braided line, cross drilled rotors, upgrades reservoir assembly)
Late 01/2002 Models received updated steering (Larger diameter steering post with sealed lower support bearing.
2003 Models received updated Drive Belt (Lifetime warranty spliceless drivebelt)

As you may or may not know the last year you could get a 400 Scrambler 4x4 was 2000 model year. In 2002 Polaris made a blue 400X witch was a limited edition, You may still find one.
2003 Models only include a 500 scrambler 4x4.
Hope this helps

Old 12-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Range Rover

Well you can't have everything you want. Something sporty... Ok, plenty. Something sporty with 4wd ok, wolverine, and some polaris'. Now you say you want to keep up with sports on the dunes. That's not possible with the wolverine or any of the polaris'.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Cool..thanks for the help guys!

As for the dunes, well im not trying to keep up with the other bikes, i just want somthing thats sporty and that will work on the dunes..i dont want a 660 Griz and go dune riding..im sure the scramb would be better suited for it..

I prob would add a few parts, like pipe and clutch kit..the only thing im thinking, is how hot do these 2stroke scrambs run in the summer?

Quick Reply: Want opinon on best quad for me!