Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bombadier or Honda or other suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bombadier or Honda or other suggestion

Honda's will carry more and tow more than they are rated at. Honda Motor Company of American employs more Americans and put more money into the American economy than all the other ATV manufactures combined.

The Bomb is a work horse and their 4-wd works great.

Belts are not a big deal, you just need to use low range when you start working them at a low speed. Maybe if you take them swimming belts are an issue but other than that they are fine.

If you are considering a Honda for work I would look at the Rubicon.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimbobDucky

Good luck with your new Bombardier XT, 2002.

I will pass on what the dealer told me where we bought our new Bombardier Trax Max, he sold both Honda and Bombardier.

He said: "Both were in the same price range, only the Bombardier was built stronger and would take more punishment than the Honda."

I would have preferred a USA made product but the Bombardier 3 year warranty was too hard to pass up.

We also wanted a 2UP version and that narrowed our choice to Bombardier and Arctic Cat.

I will say that the Tax Max has a great ride.. we couldn't believe how comfortable and smooth it rides.
It has a GVWR 1500 lb and towing 1100 lb.

Old 05-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the responses. Had the Bomb out in the swamp yesterday. Only one problem, thought I could get through one spot and found out different. Would not have been so bad but when they mounted the winch they messed up. The two halves of the winch were not securely fastened together. When I spooled out and hooked up I pulled the Bomb about 15 feet and the winch seized up, would not go in or out. What happened was the winch havles were loose enough and the torque high enough to allow the spool offset slightly opening a gap to one side and the cable pinching between the spool and cable guard. The cable got cut up in two spots. This was not so bad but I had to walk back home (only 1/4 mile, only 20 yards of it in the swamp) and get a come-a-long and strap to pull the thing loose. Only had to pull it 8 more feet and I had enough footing to get throught the rest of the muck. That extra weight sure helps the Bomb find the bottom in a hurry. Next time I will need to get more of a running start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

The only problem with towing & solid axle bikes that I have seen numerious times is when pulling on uneven ground, if a front tire gets off the ground all front power is diverted to that tire which means in effect you are now pulling with the two rear tires only ( 2wd ). A solid axle with diff lock like 450 Yam or 650 Kaw will continue to pull with the front tire left on the ground ( 3wd ) but an IRS which tends to keep all tires on ground for max traction, will continue to pull with 4 tires ( 4wd ).

Old 06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are planning on goign through swampy areas the Traxter will bring you down ALOT. I have a 200 traxter and when they first came out they weighed like 800+ pounds... The new trax makes weighs about the same also. I have stock tires on it but it gets stuck quit a bit. On the other hand it has great power behind it. I pulled a hay trailer (full of hay of course) without any problems. it is also good for plowing snow but just make sure you dont get stuck...pain to pull or dig out. if you do get a polaris they have a new ATP out...all terain pickup. I dont know if they are out out yeat but I they have them on their site. Hope this helped

Old 06-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Sportsman 700 or Grizzley 660 Praire 650 Top Performers and Great all Around Utility Quad

Sportsman 500 H.0 or Kodiak 450 or Outlander 400 For Mid Size Utility

No Reason to Buy Lower for What your Going to be Doing

I would go with Grizzley 660 or Sportsman 700 if I was choosing

Old 06-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

rivermud, just some FYI. The 600 and 700 twin polaris motors are actually made in the USA by Polaris. The other motors are made by Fuji. However, a few of the 400L motors were made by Robin, and american company. Hopefully Polaris will continue their trend and and start makeing more of their engines on the USA