Camping, Hiking and Exploring Gear Discussion on camping, hiking, and exploring gear.

Two Way Radios

Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Two Way Radios

Howdy Fellow Riders,
I am shopping for two way radios. I ride mostly in the Sierra Nevada mountains, key word being MOUNTAINS. Can anyone recommed a unit that works in trees, mountains etc? I have read reviews on Cabelas site, but nothing seems to be an award winner except a Garmin that also has GPS which I am not opposed.

Thanks for any and all input.
Cathy Broads on Quads

Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have a pair of Midland radio's that are supposed to have a 25 mi. range but that get's cut down very rapidly in the mountains/trees. Line of sight is needed to achieve the maximum range on most if not all two way radio's.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 Way Radios

I have (had) a pair of Midland GXT756 radios. My wife lost one last weekend while we were riding.

Advertised range of 26 miles. I bet the advertised range for this type of radio must have been achieved in a vacuum chamber in outer space. The best I have achieved is 3.4 miles from high point to high point through heavy forest cover. With direct line of site you may get 5 miles.

I don't think this model is made any more. They are now up to GTX1000+ with "34 mile" range.

I would suggest radios that have GMRS. This is a higher power band. I would guess that any radio rated at more than 20 miles is GMRS. Just a note, GMRS requires a license to use those channels. I don't believe there are any radio cops out busting people without licenses, as long as you don't abuse the radio waves.

I don't have any experience with other brands of radio. These have served me well.

Oldmil

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks will continue to shop.
cathy

Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Radios

I have been looking at the Scala line of hands free radios - they fit 'IN' your helmet and are ment for 'Local' communications between riders with the abilities to have a Cell phone or MP3 player. Is this what you're looking for?

Scala Rider Helmet Headsets Scala Rider Team Set, Motorcycle Headset Systems

Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Won't make a lick of difference what your make of radio is ... the big thing is the band it uses ... old CB radios require no licence and work better in crappier terrain than their modern frs/gmrs counterparts

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got the Scala2 Hands Free

Got the Scala 2 Hands Free. Haven't had the chance to use them but will be Saturday for the first time. Easy install, water proof, blue tooth, am/fm radio, etc. Like was mentioned before, these are hands free, easily charged and are completely voice activated. One thing to watch for with Scala and some of the other in helmet radios is the number that can be linked together. Most of them only two can be linked. We always ride with a group of 3 and the scala allows three to be connected and every person to be able to talk and listen to the others. Competitors only allow the third person to listen and not talk. Not sure where you are from, but Iron Pony in Columbus Ohio has had them on sale for $100 each (50% off).

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merrickvilleguy View Post
Won't make a lick of difference what your make of radio is ... the big thing is the band it uses ... old CB radios require no licence and work better in crappier terrain than their modern frs/gmrs counterparts
Im with merrickvilleguy, on this one
Midland makes NICE system for around $79 it converts from a hand held to a mobile as you can hook a EXT-antenna with a BNC Connector to it and has a 12V plugin, as their is a lot of places We ride where some of theother radios would be worthless

Price For All Three: $114.71 + Free Shipping

• This item: MIDLAND 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks.Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
    This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
    This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
  • Cobra HA-BNC CB Adapter In Stock.Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
  • Cobra HG A 1500 Base-Load Medium Magnet Mount 300W CB Antenna

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

I use the Chatterbox FRS. Simple, only two channels and up to two miles. Voice activated mic for handsfree operation and a audio input if you want to hook up a ipod or phone, etc. Works great, I've used it on my motorcycles as well. Highly recommend even though the distance isn't great but it's an actual 2 miles, not claimed like most others. The GMRS claims up to 5 miles but the voice is digital and sounds horrible. I prefer the FM over it.

ChatterBox FRS Multisport Communicator Kit - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore