CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

2003 Traxter XL Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Traxter XL Carb issues

Hello, a fng with a troubled Traxter.
I have a 2003 traxter xl that was running fine last fall, then developed hard starting, to the point it would only run with the choke. I found the fuel had went bad, cleaned out and when I went to start, had fuel coming out the vent tube on the top of the carb (small tube that goes to a hole in the airbox frame).

I took the carb apart, found some particals, probably from an old hose that I had replaced a few years ago, cleaned everything, blew it out and reassembed. Now when I went to start, I have fuel coming out of the same vent, and the bowl overfill check valve at the bottom.

Looked high and low for a carb kit, and am awaiting the local dealer to let me know what they have and when I can get them. Looking at the BRP website I picked out all the orings, and diaphragms that seemed resonable, as well as a new float and needle vavle for the fuel entry.

Am I missing something? or was the bad fuel and debris the culprit?

I would appreciate any advice I can get, would hate to see it go to the dealer for the next couple of months....

Thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hello..Is There anybody Out There?

Hi guys, and gals, still looking for some advice, I found a used, supposed running Carb on E-Bay, but the Wife missed it, go figure.

After lots (maybe not enough?) of searching on the web, it looks like the parts required to go thru this thing is close to replacement cost.

Any suggestions as to aftermarket Carb? Hints?

If you bought the carb on E-bay, want to sell it? (I may need it more than you, and am willing to follow free market principles!) PM me!

Thanks all, and hope your having a safe weekend

Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a google search, looked on bikebandit.com,used Trackster 500 XL, it has 2 numbers,7565, and 7571, dont know what they refer to. But under aftermarket parts, found a rebuild kit for the Mikuni HSR 40 carb for 29 bucks, is that the carb on your quad? take a look on that web site and see if you can find parts there.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the hit back 95wolv. Talking to Bike Bandit, online they do not carry aftermarket kits for my particular carb. It's not the HSR 40, not sure what exact carb this is, other than a Mukini OEM specific model.

Anybody else have any suggestions? I'm waiting for a quote from Bike Bandit, from what I saw they are considerably cheaper than the local dealer, but at over 200 bucks for the parts, I'd like to have other options.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Experts?

So nobody out there, other than 1, has a clue??