CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

ds 650 crappin out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds 650 crappin out

Hi all, my ds started running very badly late last year. It ran as though a jet was clogged. I tore the carb apart, had the valves adjusted and then replaced the rev box. The rev box seemed to be the problem. I took the bike out for a long ride, towards the end, it started crappin out again. What to do now, can a new rev box go bad that fast? Any ideas? Thx.....

Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Range Rover

Have you tried the rectifier? The CDI's on these are picky about the voltage they recieve.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Oldsman67330
Have you tried the rectifier? The CDI's on these are picky about the voltage they recieve.
yep. The CDI needs good voltage to fire correctly. You cannot run these bikes with a dead battery. Check that the batt is in good condition and that the rectifier is charging the battery properly. If I remmeber correctly, you should get about 13.4 - 13.8 volts at idle, and possible 14.0 14.3 volts when you rev it up. The rectifier is supposed to max out at 14.5 volts, so if you see more than 14.5, that is a problem as well.

After you run the bike to the point it's "crappy", stop, turn off the engine, and check the voltage at the battery. You should see around 13.2 volts or so. If you are seeing low 12's, then the rectifier, battery, or both are bad.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give it a try...I hope to go riding soon. Thx....

Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

what brand of box ? the procom boxes are junk ... reinstall the stock cdi and see if the problem goes away .....

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by bartmann
what brand of box ? the procom boxes are junk ... reinstall the stock cdi and see if the problem goes away .....
You guessed it....procom. The original cdi box was really bad. I'm going to try what was suggested with the air filter and battery voltage...if they check out, looks like I'll be springin for a new cdi unit. Any suggestions on a decent unit, reasonably priced?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

There are many stock good cdi boxes around cheap... as a fail safe ($50 or so used)

the big gun cdi seem to have a good following (there procom boxes reprogramed) $139

ron woods is very popular but has no rev limmit at all (kinda risky ) $300

note differant years need differant boxes... the plugs change year to year so order the right year.....

good luck...

Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a follow up...I upgraded the Procom box with one from Dynatek. Fired right up, rode 5 minutes and it died. No spark, lights..nothin. Found a blown 25A fuse under seat on passenger side. After replacing fuse, turned key on and have all lights. Smelled something bad and turned everything off...hope I didn't smoke new Rev box. Can't find a wiring diagram and am frustated. Any thoughts or ideas? Thx..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Banned

start the quad up with a digital meter on the batt ... test your dc voltage when running. it sounds like you might have a regulator problem. (overcharging) make sure when testing and you rev it ,it dont go over 14.5 volts. If it does replace the voltage regulator .. only use a stock one ,not aftermarket ones....

Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

Follow that 25 amp fuse to get that problem fixed first before starting.

Quick Reply: ds 650 crappin out