CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Steering stem R & R

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stem R & R

I got my new stem to replace the bent one, and have began taking things apart. This is alot more of a job than I expected ! ! Anyway, two questions...When I try to loosen the castle nut that holds the tie rod end onto the stem, I find myself just spinning the ball without breaking the nut loose. I was just going to use vise-grips to clamp down on it to keep it from moving. That is, unless someone has a better idea. Second, since I don't have a manual, can anybody give me torque specs or other information that I may need to know to get the new one in correctly. Thanks..

Old 05-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

When I did mine I believe that the tie rod ends that go into the steering stem had flat spots on two sides. So what I did was put a wrench on it and another on the nut itself. But if my memory is failing a set of vise grips will do it just fine.
The torques are 55ft lbs on the tie rod nuts and also on the steering stem nut at the bottom. The two behind the head light that hold the shaft in place are 17 ft lbs as well as the ones holding your bars on.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

you are going to have to put some pressure down onto the ball joints to get them loose for one thing well you dont always have to but it will help

Old 05-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Dude an air impact works great for removing just about any ball joints, guess its because it spins so fast.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

He, He [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Yeah, had I owned a large impact, it would have definately came off! I just recently bought a house with a good sized garage, so you can bet the air tools & compressor are on their way. Just as soon as I get the extra $$. Eaglecollector, thanks for the torque numbers...now I've just got to get it done.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Lightweight
I got my new stem to replace the bent one, and have began taking things apart. This is alot more of a job than I expected ! !
How about a recap on just how hard it is....
MEANING.... I'm about to R & R mine. And if I have to remove the radiator... I'm gonna die.
I've got more stuff bolted to my radiator shrouds... and more "stuff" under there... that just will be a nightmare.

How about a step by step as best you can.....
I'm kinda lazy today... and am thinking I don't want to get to it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

No the rad can stay. The front plastics, head light, dash and bracket. All have to be removed though. The dash bracket just needs to have the bolts removed is all. It's a real pain to get out as I recall though. I think It would have been easier to stand the quad on it's tail and take it out the bottom. You still need to remove all that I mentioned though.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

You can get it out the bottom by using a ratchet strap and compressing your left a-arm i believe.Thats how i did mine.Bringing the a-arm up lets it slide out the bottom.I also believe its a very tight fit where it goes through the frame just above the bearing.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys....
Excellent help!!

Atleast you all didn't go off and tell me how your sister's car pulls 10.s in the quarter mile and then start another topic within one... on drag racing. (inside story... you'd have to be there. Or just go read "Stock Axle straightening... who in San Diego?" and you'll know what i mean)

BUT AGAIN.... MANY THANKS.
I never thought it'd come out the bottom.
That will help tremendously.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

You're a f#ckin jerk jonnyairtime! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] The world isn't out to get you so chill!

Quick Reply: Steering stem R & R