CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

damaged motor mount bolt from gearing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damaged motor mount bolt from gearing.

went to take the wifes engine apart yesterday and went to remove the rear engine motor mount well they had put the nut on that side at the factory so the bolt stuck out by the chain well it has been damaged from the chain since i put a smaller counter shaft sprocket on. i guess i turned mine around when i did my engine so it never hits, well if you guys going to a 14-15 front might want to check this it's easy to fix just turn the bolt around. the problem it causes is i can't get the nut off even the impact stopped.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Just check'd mine in it dosnt look like it gan ever hit tht chain

Old 06-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i wonder if the factory put mine in backwards?

Old 06-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Mine has been that way for a while and there was some damage to the bolt. I run the 14 tooth, and it really makes no sence why the nut for the bolt is on the chain side. Regardless, when my motor get put back in (after a few more mods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) The bolt will be installed with the nut on the left side instead.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks Sandman - Billds650 mentioned this a while back but I never got aroudn to checking mine, and you've just reminded me. I ran a 14T out at St. Anthony's last week, and never thought to look when I put it on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

my gearing is stock but I was thinking of losing the 16 going to a 15 so I'm glad for the tip

Old 06-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
Thanks Sandman - Billds650 mentioned this a while back but I never got aroudn to checking mine, and you've just reminded me. I ran a 14T out at St. Anthony's last week, and never thought to look when I put it on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Yep, Bill called this one a few months back. When I saw his post, I too looked and saw a little of the damage myself to the bolt. Despite the minor thread damage (it was beat by the chain for over 3 years running a 14 tooth sprocket) that bolt came right out last week when I pulled the motor. While I don't think the damage will ever be severe, Sandman post is good info to repeat again, especially if you have a weak chain! I can tell you from experience that the case savers on these quads do hardly any case saving! So, if you have a non-riveted chain, and lose your master link clip, that chain beating on the bolt will eventually cause the master link to be lost.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

iwas going to remove that nut but it is now stuck i will have to try a few other things.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SANDMAN430
iwas going to remove that nut but it is now stuck i will have to try a few other things.
Wow, its stripped?

Old 06-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

no i would say wedged.

Quick Reply: damaged motor mount bolt from gearing.