CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hey Mister HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Mister HP

I have done all the recomended mods and she is running great , but it spins the tires real bad in 1st through 3rd gears, any sugestions on gearing. I'm running the 20" Razr 2's on the rear and they seem to get very good traction, but with the tuning tips you gave me it revs so fast they spin like crazy.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Mister HP

Can you share the tips with the rest of us?
thanks

Old 07-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Range Rover
Default Hey Mister HP

well I just did the normal things to the stock carb, cut 4 coils off the slide spring, drilled out the vaccum ports to 1/8th inch, lid on the air box, 170 main,stock pilot, 4 1/2 turns out on the air screw, and ported the heck out of the intake, and man o man what a difference it made.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Mister HP

Did you put the snorkels on too? He said its worth 2 hp! I did all the same stuff plus chamfered the slide. You are right, my bike revs like crazy too. I'm running 22" Razrs with 15/40 gearing which makes it a little higher than stock, even on asphalt when the tach hits 5500rpms hang on and be ready to shift because 7000 is only a heartbeat away! Tried it out first on wet road and spun til i hit 4th.

BUT, at half throttle it runs like CRAP. Ive moved the clip up 2 grooves from bottom, but still stumbles, and base of plug is coal black.

Powerband does not feel nearly as broad as with lid off, but peak sure has improved!

Hey Mr hp, can you help me with the rich stumble?

Old 07-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Hey Mister HP

what did you do to the slide exactly?

Old 07-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Mister HP

I put a little 45 the bottom of the slide (on the filter side) with a die grinder then sanded smooth. All these mods REALLY helped throttle response when i ran with no lid, but now with the lid on seems like the extra vacuum causes the slide to open more than the butterfly causing it to run WAY too rich from 1/8 to 3/4 throttle.

I don't know if i did it right or not. And another thing, i cut 4 coils off my spring and later found out that the Baja already has a shorter spring than the older DSs. OOOPS!!

Old 07-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Mister HP

I don't know if i did it right or not. And another thing, i cut 4 coils off my spring and later found out that the Baja already has a shorter spring than the older DSs. OOOPS!!
Ive got an 03 baja, and i cut about 5 - 5 1/2 off on mine and she dont stumble one little bit. Responce is awesome in every gear!

Old 07-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default Hey Mister HP

Hey stockbomb thats a good problem to have! I would let the tires down to 4lbs and soften the preload and compression dampening on the shock for starters. I run 15/41 gearing but I dragrace only. That gearing took me out to the 66ft mark at Aledo and I was just touching the rev limiter at the finish line.

DCryder your midrange stumble must be from the slide modification you did. I havent done anything to my slide and my bike is very responsive in the midrange. Your power band should be more broad with the lid on. I think the slide is opening too quick.Eric

MrHorsepower

Old 07-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Range Rover
Default Hey Mister HP

Thanks for the input I'll give it a try.