CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

throttle stiffness---tm45 vs Lectron 44

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle stiffness---tm45 vs Lectron 44

When staying with the thumber, how does the Lectron 44 compare to the tm45 without accelerator pump activated as far as tension? I have felt the tm45 but not the Lectron.

Ive did a lot of searching and read about housing and cable mods to fully open Lectron but haven't been able to find much on tension.

Also interested in 46HV, would this be too much for a stock engine or does the taper of the venturi make it more forgiving?

Heard the 46HV is higher than the tm45, is that right? If it is, thats a big jump from the 44!

Dave

Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

they also make a 44hv, which is wat i plan on doing since i won't be going into the motor anytime soon

Old 07-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

I have the lectron 44 and the stock thumb it has a verry easy pull if you get the soft spring for it. and i get the full rand of travel just had to mod the stock theumb a little. I also used the stock cable..

Old 07-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I run the Lectorn 46 HV. I love the carb.. I am not sure how it would work on a stock motor.. I have put in a HC piston and a1/a2 cams.. the 44 is good the 44hv is better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and the 46 hv is what I have.. I am tempted to try the 48hv someime.. I would recomend the 46hv. The pull on the 46 hv is very easy.. I use a twist but I also had a TM carb before and the lectron is a much better pull and performer..

Old 07-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

well for someone like me who won't do any motor work but maybe cams wouldn't a 44hv be best for me?

Old 07-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've not owned a lectron, only pulled the lever on one once and it was quite stiff but that's not necesarily the case with them all it seems. I did got to see insde the Lectron as the guy was tuning the metering rod that day, its fairly crude with no slide bearings/bushings of any kind, quite rough. according to him the return has to be really stiff or the slide can hang up at high velocities due to the somewhat crude design. Like I said, this was one guy talking about his carb, maybe you other lectron guys can shed more light.

But as far as the TM45 goes it is an awesome carb, and nobody can deny that an accelerator pump, when properly tuned, is one awesome addition to any carb which the lectrons do not have. The Kehein FCR's have pumpers, the Edelbrocks have pumpers, and the TM's have pumpers, and all make carbs in sizes for the DS. Anybody who knocks the pumper has never had the privilage of riding a bike with one properly tuned, and anybody who has ridden a bike with a pumper properly tuned will from then on wish he had one.

when you slam a slide open - any slilde on any carb, lectron included - it takes a certain amount of time for this syphon effect to catch up with the immediate air rush, and this is where a pumper comes into play, it fills this gap in time and its wonderful.

Now if throttle tension is your big hangup with purchasing a TM with a pumper, I would be happy to hook you up with the ultimate set-up procedure that will allow you run a TM carb with a pumper on a thumb throttle with tension being equal to stock, and you can even try my bike out before you buy the next time I come down to Maysville because experiencing is believing. TM's are so easy to tune, I mean absolutely easy, it takes minutes to get it set up perfect if you got the jets in advance, and once it is all you have to do for altitude is change the main jet which is done in literally seconds. I've heard the Lectrons are pretty easy to make adjustments too, but like I said I have no lectron experince.

Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
I've not owned a lectron, only pulled the lever on one once and it was quite stiff but that's not necesarily the case with them all it seems. I did got to see insde the Lectron as the guy was tuning the metering rod that day, its fairly crude with no slide bearings/bushings of any kind, quite rough. according to him the return has to be really stiff or the slide can hang up at high velocities due to the somewhat crude design. Like I said, this was one guy talking about his carb, maybe you other lectron guys can shed more light.

But as far as the TM45 goes it is an awesome carb, and nobody can deny that an accelerator pump, when properly tuned, is one awesome addition to any carb which the lectrons do not have. The Kehein FCR's have pumpers, the Edelbrocks have pumpers, and the TM's have pumpers, and all make carbs in sizes for the DS. Anybody who knocks the pumper has never had the privilage of riding a bike with one properly tuned, and anybody who has ridden a bike with a pumper properly tuned will from then on wish he had one.

when you slam a slide open - any slilde on any carb, lectron included - it takes a certain amount of time for this syphon effect to catch up with the immediate air rush, and this is where a pumper comes into play, it fills this gap in time and its wonderful.

Now if throttle tension is your big hangup with purchasing a TM with a pumper, I would be happy to hook you up with the ultimate set-up procedure that will allow you run a TM carb with a pumper on a thumb throttle with tension being equal to stock, and you can even try my bike out before you buy the next time I come down to Maysville because experiencing is believing. TM's are so easy to tune, I mean absolutely easy, it takes minutes to get it set up perfect if you got the jets in advance, and once it is all you have to do for altitude is change the main jet which is done in literally seconds. I've heard the Lectrons are pretty easy to make adjustments too, but like I said I have no lectron experince.

Amen brother!

Old 07-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hightower, you are right when you say the lectrons look crude.. I was kinda disapointed when I first saw it.. heheh But I personaly like the carb, there is zero lag on the carb so you really dont need a pump. there are actually TONS more settings for a lectron. There are TONS of needles with different tapers and dang near infinate needle settings.. They work on a twist.. there are no clip settings, you just twist the needle in as small as 1/4 turns then recenter it.. You REALLY need someone that has done the work to setup the carb. From there you just need to make small changes.. Mine is a bit rich right now I have not had time to readjust it.. I really would like to see some DYNO reports of an identicle bike setup.. I know that MR hp did that with the best dyno tuned 45 he could get and it took a while.. he then put on a 46hv and with in 30 minutes was producing like 5-6 more hp.. Only he can truley verify this but I was told that by him.. I would really like to meet up with you some time HT. We have VERY close setups it would be fun to see how they really differ... Anyways, both are good carbs...

Old 07-26-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Lol 5-6 hp with a carb...

From stock carb to TM45 (properly dyno-tuned) you only get about 3hp...And you were talking about going from TM45 to Lectron...meaning a 9 hp gain from a CARB?!?!

I think not..but thats just me...

Old 07-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TyreSpinner
Lol 5-6 hp with a carb...From stock carb to TM45 (properly dyno-tuned) you only get about 3hp...And you were talking about going from TM45 to Lectron...meaning a 9 hp gain from a CARB?!?!I think not..but thats just me...
Ok.. You should know.. I remeber just a little back when you had now clue how to tune your carb .... now your a carb expert??
I am only saying was was told to me buy a very respectiable DS builder...
You want to believe what you wish.... I do know that many people are switching to the Lectron.....
I think the only reason people use the TM45 is that Ron Woods used it in his stage one... Look back in posts the standard 44lectron ran JUST as hard as the tm45..

Quick Reply: throttle stiffness---tm45 vs Lectron 44