CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS not what it should be

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS not what it should be

Thanks wallstreet, We are now getting what we were looking for to fix our friends bike. You are right he did say he was sorry. I am sorry also, I just get upset when you need good sound advise, and there is plenty to get here and crap like that happens. Thanks for all the great advise I will speak to our friend tommorrow and have more info. Thanks raptrman!!!!

Old 08-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

HRbart, I like your post. This is the kind that makes this forum interesting. I hope you don't have to wade through a bunch more crap to find your friend's problem.

I like some of the suggestions that I have read here. For example:
Check the air boot to make sure it is not collapsing. Put clamps around it to fix it.
Check the cam timing.
Check the diaphram in the carb for tears.

The ignition timing could also be off, if something is wrong with the RW CDI. It doesn't sound likely, but just a thought.

Could the slide be hung up so that it is not going all of the way up.

You said that the compression was OK, but did you measure it. If the compression is good, and doesn't leak down too fast, this should eliminate any possibility of damage to the valves from running too lean in the past.

Anyway, please let us know what the problem was when you find out.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

I am thinking it is something in the intake, like what the last couple people have said. JIMHO

Old 08-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Would the carb mounted filter eliminate the intake boot problem He pulled both the side mounted intake hoses Don't know if that is good or bad. I will have better jet specs tommorrow and better info Thanks

Old 08-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Most people have been able to run 93 pump with 11.5:1. Go any higher and you'll need to bring the octane up a little...

Old 08-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Wouldn't hurt to check silencer packing, a friends Raptor gained .3 secs in 300' after repacking his, he had a Big Gun that was completely empty!

Realtors are a heavy ponie robbing tires.

Also, what terrain where you racing on? My buddy (150 lbs) has my old 440ex, on pavement i can smoke him, on dirt we run identical 300' times (5.60s) and in the sand at Ok. he was beating me! I think the DSs long wheelbase and heavy nose hurts them on looser ground!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with everything said above. But like lilnotts said, Try switching drivers and see if YOU beat him on the DS.. Just rule out drivers... When I was new on the DS I would get beat by crappy things...
Also, make sure you launch in 2nd gear like they say. Rev the motor up good and drop the hammer. Just lean forward...

Old 08-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptrman
Would the carb mounted filter eliminate the intake boot problem He pulled both the side mounted intake hoses Don't know if that is good or bad. I will have better jet specs tommorrow and better info Thanks
There is an easy fix for the carb intake boot....

Buy some tie-straps (lots of em) or a few radiator clamps (I have both) and tighten a bunch of them all around the intake boot. When under high vaccuum, the boot will start to ovalize and collapse on itself....but if the straps are TIGHT around it, it is not possible for it to ovalize...Making it a 100% fix.

Jeff

Old 08-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ovalize is not a word [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Must be a Canadian word... hehehe

Old 08-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, it's derived from the Canadian for "Kyss mai ***" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]