CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS not what it should be

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS not what it should be

New poster, often lurker here. This may be a bit long, but I'm at a loss and need help.

My buddy rides a DS that should be putting the hammer on me, and although it's fun to beat him, I hate to see him spend anymore money correcting a possibly cheap to fix problem.

Here's the deal:

I ride a 00 400EX. It has a 11:1 86mm (.040 over) Wiseco, a Stage 2 Hotcam, a full performanc exhaust, a K&N, is properly jetted (spot on), with stock gearing. Another friend we ride with has an 02 Raptor with a CT full exhaust, K&N filter, Dynojet Kit (spot on), a +4 swingarm extension, and minus one on the countershaft sprocket. The buddy in question bought an 01 DS about a year ago with HMF slip on, 22 inch Realtors, and I believe lower gearing to compensate for the 22's (don't know what stock gearing is, this is the only DS I've ever worked on or even been around as not many here in NW MO have one). He used to have a Wolverine and wanted something different, and thought the DS would put him in the hunt. He got beat by me at first by double digit bike lengths with the Rap 2-3 ahead of me, depending on how far we went (close between me and the Raptor depending on holeshot and how much room is in that particular pasture or beanfield).

So... being naturally disappointed, purchases a stock bore (machine shop said cylinder OK - but I didn't actully get to see it before he sent it off) 11:1 piston, substantially higer lift and duration cams (don't know the exact I&E and D cam specs), replaces the Realtors with 20" tires. He has the shop put it back together. Gets it back, breaks it in, still gets beat BADLY.

If you put a disassembled bike engine it in a sack and dumped it out on the floor, I may never get it back together. But, given a shop manual, and I take it apart, I am a fairly experienced and adept mechanic.

So... we look at it for him. The carb is now straightened out. It gained a BUNCH after that, but is still getting beat by my 400 by 2-3 lengths consistently, even over 200-250 yard distances (so it can't all be just dragging experience).

The carb jetting is on. No hiccups, hesitations, blubbering on the top end, and the plug color is good. There are no air leaks (or it would be lean), etc. Compression is where it should be. Using 93 octane and VP C-12 mixed 50/50. It has what appears to be a nice blue spark, so I don't think it's electrical in that I believe the stator is good. From what I've read on here, and seen at the sand drags (Little Sahara and the track at Thunder Valley in Grain Vally, MO), with these mods, I think he should be smoking me and at least beating the raptor.

He's not, and is thinking about what I believe to be an unnecessary alcohol conversion. Before he does this... can anybody tell me what I'm missing? All I can think is that either the machine shop should have bored (I think it's Nikasil and would have to be recoated, etc.) and it's losing compression, the gearing is still way low (although he should at least accelerate faster than my bike for at least a gear or two), or he tore something up with the bad carb jetting on break in). Shouldn't he be winning? I've strained my brain to think of what could be wrong with it, anybody else have any ideas before he goes alcohol or have to tear into it?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 07-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

He must really suck at riding....... Even at that a stock DS shouldn't even have to try to beat you.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Probably just bad rider?

Old 07-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
He must really suck at riding....... Even at that a stock DS shouldn't even have to try to beat you.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Probably just bad rider?
That was nice, he came here to get some honest information, and you gotta go and say something like that. I think you owe someone and apology. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I agree though....could be the rider. But I'm sure someone will pop in with some useful information.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to be an *** but come on! What would you say to a Civic beating a 'Vette??

Old 07-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

I know, I know, just messin with ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

What carb is he running?

What air filter set up is he running?

Have you checked the bearings, front and rear?

Is BOTH spark plug boots on the spark plugs (Don't laugh, when one is off or coil not grounded, this will cause big problems)

Is the front end comeing up and he have to let off?

What are the times that he is running in the 300'

Has he been down and ran the 1/8 mile at KCIR? If so, what was his times?

This will start the ball rolling

DuneDevil

Old 07-31-2003, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Carb is stock (but spot on with no typical signs of carb trouble, including multiple plug checks)

Air Filter is K&N with no lid

BOTH plugs are firing nice fat blue sparks

Front end was shaky, but has since been repaired - rear end is sound

He does better leaving in second, and appears from observations of his solo runs to get out of the hole decently

He has never run it in a timed 100 or 1/8th. All races are usually all three of us together, or one on one with third rider as flagger. But compared to my bike from my times, I would assume he would be a mid 6 second pass.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the assistance.

Matt
P.S. - We are all big riders, 240 to 260 pounds (with me being the fat boy).
P.P.S. - Don't get too carried away on beating the ol' four hundee, if you're on a stocker DS or Rap, I'll take your money unless we are going farther than 200 yards. Even with a pipe and filter, if you fart the wrong way during the race, I'll get ya in a hundred.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

My Ds is exactly what it should be. Obviously you have all the answers and your not looking for a solution, this must be some kind of entertainment for you. Maybe your just trying to get a rise out of someone or your just bored. I have never seen a mild 400 such as yours hang with a piped raptor not to mention a DS. You have such an extraordinary example, maybe you should get down to 4 Stroke Wars...

Old 07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't drag much, though I know most people with DSs looking to drag start in 2nd. He may want to just keep doing that during the drags. I know it's not the problem, however it's the common thing to do.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for what I previously said.... Appology.