CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first oil change

I read a tip that said I should change my oil after the first hour of use. This is very a good tip? I got some extra oil filters. Part number #420 256 188 is the right filter? The manual says to change the gasket on the drain plug. Is it ok to reuse the gasket? I forgot to get them. Turn the drain plug counter-clock wise to loosen? This bleeding thing described in the manual sounds easy enough to do. Is it normal to do this after a oil change? And if so, how many times until the red light goes off is normal? I have read my manual and tryed to talk to my dealer about changing the oil. He was not helpful at all. He said I have to loosen some hoses (where and why I am not sure, he wouldn't tell me) to change the oil properly. He said this is because of the dry sump. Of course he was willing to show me this when I truck my machine back to his place after I skip another half day of work to get there during his shop hours and possibably be charged for his time. I thought changing the oil would be a simple task I could do. Any help would be great.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default first oil change

gasket? ionno, mines just an o ring so i just inspect it and replace if needed, easy since they're dirt cheap, yes its counter clockwise to loosen, and bleeding the system, i've never had to do that, but before starting it i leave the kill switch in the off position and turn over for a few sec, and the hose you need to take off is the one wen sittin on it is on the left side, it goes to a 90 turn into the motor just behind the cylinder

Old 08-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Range Rover
Default first oil change

thx. I guess the hose to remove would be the 5/8" one that goes to the small black tank (which holds the oil dip-stick) under my head-light to the engine. I will remove the hose at the both ends (engine, small black tank) and drain the oil from small black tank and the hose itself. Then I will drain the oil from the engine. Good enough?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default first oil change

No you can just remove the engine side of the hose, and dont forget to leave the dipstick open when draning the tank! its very easy, just use your comen sence, good luck!

Old 08-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Range Rover
Default first oil change

thx for the info

Old 08-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default first oil change

This is what helped me during my first oil change..

DS Oil Change

Old 08-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first oil change

I'm going to change the oil for the first time tomorrow (Friday). Should you bleed the system, regardless of the process written in the manual? The manual states only to bleed the system if the oil light stays on for a minute or two after the new oil and filter have been installed.

TIA

Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default first oil change

If that light ever came on and stayed on after it has started i would shut it off right away. I would never be caught waiting 1 or 2 minutes for it to go off. I would follow step by step to what my above link says. It only takes 5 more minutes to do. thats just becuase you have to drill a hole into the handle of a screwdriver then put a rod thru it for better leverage. Also theres a oil filter/screen thing thats attached to the bottom of the oil reservoir (the tank under the headlight). You will want to take that off too and clean it out. Someone posted a link for all of us to check that on our next oil change (which was also right after i just did mine, so ill do it on the next one). Do a search or someone can fill you in more on that if you dont know, cuz i forgot exactly how to get at it.

RoughRider01