CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Getting Power to the Ground on the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried starting in second?

We lined up the DS's this weekend at Sand Lake and were experimenting with them (completely stock, even tires) and after a couple of dozen runs, you get a better holeshot starting in second.

By the way, with stock tires, it performs about as well as a stock Banshee and edges out the 400EX in a hill climb, even with my size and the extra wieght of the DS. When I get the carb and suspension dialed in (just been riding, no fine tuning yet), get paddles and maybe change rear sprockets, the DS will be a real killer.

I checked out a 400EX with that Big Gun exhaust on it. Wow, it really looks sharp. He has been using it for a couple of trips and it looks absolutely brand new. No discoloration. A nice bright silver color. I may have to pick one up.

I do need to put a breather filter inside the airbox. I noticed that there was sand around the hole to the breather hose and I am hoping that none got into the engine. I am going to pull the hose and inspect it when I change the oil before I go riding again. I need to see about the routing of the air hoses, since I got sand in the airbox.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 06-05-2000, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Well, it "only" revs to 7700 rpm, stock, and with the stock tires I can keep up and slowly pull away from a stock Banshee with paddles. Between my body weight and the quad, I have about a 200lb disadvantage over the Banshees that I have gone up against. This was also before I found out I could get a better start in second. I still do often hit the limiter, since it does rev so easy. I would like the limiter to be about 1500rpm higher, or whatever is safe for the engine. Of course, this may be a moot point after throwing paddles on it and a possible sprocket change.

The DS is a quick revver, since its stroke is shorter than the width of the bore, having a 3.92" bore and 3.2" stroke. If it revved to 10,000 rpm, than it would be just like a torquey two stroke.

Until you ride one, you won't know what it's really like. It performs almost like a two stroke.

Of course, two strokes will put out more power per cc than a four stroke, since it is firing twice as often for the same rpm. I can understand preferring two strokes, since I prefer four strokes. I don't want to have to rebuild my engine every 50 hours or less. Plus the Banshee has been known to have overheating problems and in my opinion (and other experienced riders opinions), the suspension isn't very good, even with upgrades.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 06-06-2000, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer

Scooby,

It's off the tire subject but I thought I'd mention that my dealer replaced my rear fender because it cracked and broke around the connection to the black foot protector.
It was the left hand outer connection and torn off a neat 1/2 inch radius around the screw. I don't know if you have any warranty left but it might be worth talking to them.

Incidently they told me the fender costs just $66.00.

Yella Terra

'00 DS650, '91 TRX250X, '87 TRX250X, '85 FL350R

Old 06-06-2000, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

YellaTerra, The dealers near me suck big time. Nobody gives me the time of day with my DS problems, and if they do, I have to wait like a week for their schedule to free up. I've given up on dealers and avoid them. Some don't have service manuals and some don't have the parts catalogs. I asked the service department about the warranty on the fenders and they said they didn't think it would be covered. I called Bombardier myself and asked them. They said they didn't think so either, but I could have the dealer take pictures of the fenders and mail them to Bombardier and they would make a decision. For the time and hassle of it all, it's almost easier to just pay the $120 for the fenders and be done with it. $120 for the decals, reflectors and fenders. For the time being I was able to super glue the fenders. So far it has held up.

Old 06-07-2000, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as tires go, I guess the Razrs aren't too bad now that I made the gearing slightly taller. I'm still thinking about the 22x12x9 Realters though. How about a rear tire like what is on the new Yamaha 660cc?

Old 06-12-2000, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I'm not so sure about the Realtors after reading this: http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~john/faq/95.html

Old 06-13-2000, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, that's the impression that I got from the realtors. I forgot about the hardpack performance.

The turbo/efi that you are getting, do they sell the efi seperately? Do they have a web site?

Thanks,
CRT_Leech

Old 07-03-2000, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have gone to a 10% change in gearing and still have too much wheel spin!!!!! I went from a 40 to a 38 tooth rear sprocket and from a 16 to a 17 tooth front sprocket. I still have the 20x11x9 razrs. I am running 100% stock except for a K&N filter and larger main jet. I dragged the DS on a hard pack dirt drag strip and spun the tires continuously in every gear down the entire 300+ feet!!!! Two options remain - 22" tire and/or more widely spaced tread pattern. Suggestions?

Old 07-03-2000, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I can't think of anything else, besides tire size and tread. By the sounds of it, you've tried every gear ratio possible.

Old 07-04-2000, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I am going to try a new rear tire. Ordered them from Rocky Mountain ATV. It is a taller and wider tire (21x12x9) with a deep 1" tread depth - more than twice the current depth of my Razrs. What I want is to be able to drag the DS on dirt and get traction as close to asphalt as possible. At least I'll be learning the pros and cons of different tires. I'm tired of people I run into saying the DS is not a banshee killer. Given good traction, the DS accelerates hard.

Quick Reply: Getting Power to the Ground on the DS650