CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Getting Power to the Ground on the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With near 50 Rear wheel HP I cannot get the power to the ground at all. I have gone through the stock 20x11x9 dominators and have tried 20x11x9 razrs with no luck. I am not tall and only weigh around 170 lbs and have trouble reaching the handlebars if I sit back on the seat. I am leaning towards a 22" tire on a 10 inch rim. I am looking at less sporty tires such as Maxxis All-Tracs. The clearance will be close on the rear fenders, but the yellow fenders have broken where they bolted onto the black plastic foot protector, so I may need to modify the fenders anyway. Will a 22" tire with a tread pattern like the All-Tracs solve my wheel spin problem once and for all? I don't want to buy another set of tires & rims and have them still spin. Basically with the tires I have now, I lose all the torque to wheel spin and never feel much of a pull during acceleration. Wheelies are impossible unless I can find a surface where the tires bite a little better. I want to feel the torque and get the front end off the ground at any time. The DS pulls like crazy on very hard pack dirt that has NO loose material on top of it. Other than this, the rear wheels spin like crazy and drives me nuts. I have also bought a 38 tooth rear sprocket to lengthen first gear, but have not installed it yet. The sprocket may help with wheel spin, but I may not use it if I solve the problem with bigger tires.

Old 05-26-2000, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Personally, that's what I dislike about these high performance heavyweights. Did you ride a 2-stroke before this? Otherwise, all I can say is, with the DS 650, you should have NO problem with the power. To me it simply sounds like you want that peppy 2-stroke "feel" which won't be present with any 4-stroke. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2000, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

This Ole chap needs to take the DS for a spin if he thinks you need a 2 stroke for power, Huh.

Old 05-26-2000, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Not for power. For the get up and go feel.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm also looking at the 22x11x10 Maxxis Sur Trak and the 21x12x10 GBC Mud Shark.

Old 05-27-2000, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

The tires are not the problem. For this situation, you don't need to worry about the tires. Besides, if ANYTHING will hook up at all, it's Maxxis Razr's. They probably hook up better than any other tire. Keep the Razrs. OK, so you aren't accelerating as much as you'd like? You want more zip or what?

Old 05-27-2000, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

What about re-gearing it??

Old 05-27-2000, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

I think the best "overall" solution to this would be gearing. I wouldn't sacrifice suspension to larger tires. I would re-gear it first. Start with the front sprocket for the following reasons: easier to replace, less time consuming, and larger changes to gear ratio quicker. Try raising the front sprocket by 1 or even 2 (if it'll fit) considering how light you weigh you should see some promising results and more top speed.

Needless to say being 6'2" 280 I don't have much problem with traction, LOL I've found the stock tires to have just enough slip for me.

Old 05-27-2000, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RidE, With the Razrs, when I drag race on loose dirt, I spin the rear tires to 9000 RPM through the first three gears while my land speed is around only 10 mph. I have to wait in 3rd gear for my land speed to catch up with my wheel speed before shifting into 4th or I will bog slightly after shifting. I am losing acceleration off the line because of this. I end up being behind everyone else in the drag off the line due to initial wheel spin. I don't have as much of a problem when I am running stock at lower rear wheel HP. It is the extra HP from the mods that is causing the rear wheels to lose their grip. I have the same problem on other types of surfaces as well, including grass. Also, the Razrs are wearing out quickly. The other side effect of this wheel spin, when you nail the throttle, is you don't feel the pull as much and the front end will not come off the ground. If I find a hard pack rough dirt surface that has no loose stones or dirt, you feel incredible pull and can wheelie like crazy, but 99% of the terrain I ride on is loose so I don't get to experience this. The difference is dramatic - it feels like I'm riding a different ATV.

KawasakiKid, What do you mean by "sacrifice suspension to larger tires"?

I'm not sure there is any clearance on the front sprocket so we change the rear instead.

Another issue is with my paddle tires for the dunes. I run 20x10x10 9-paddle haulers and have basically the same problem, although at times the front end can come up as I shift into second, but it doesn't happen that often. I am thinking about running a 21" or 22" paddle that is more aggressive - more paddles or the taller haulers.

Old 05-29-2000, 01:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I tested the 38 tooth rear sprocket today. The DS still spins those Razrs too much with a 5% change in gearing.

Quick Reply: Getting Power to the Ground on the DS650