CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which bore kit...(better?) LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bore kit...(better?) LOL

I would like to know if it's safe to bored the stock sleave 2mm over and have it replated, or do I have to get a whole different sleave? I would like to do a 680 some day but if I'm gonna pay almost the same as a 720 I might as well do that.....

Old 08-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i like the sleeve so far it seems to run cooler than the stock cylinder, guess i'll find out at sand mountain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] is it really going to be in the 90? i'll have to talk you guys into a oregon coast trip, 50-70 that is what you can count on.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
I would like to know if it's safe to bored the stock sleave 2mm over and have it replated, or do I have to get a whole different sleave? I would like to do a 680 some day but if I'm gonna pay almost the same as a 720 I might as well do that.....
Yes, the 102 is absolutely safe. Yes, the 720 is le$$ but, you may be sacraficing reliability.

Another thought. . . Get a 105.5 Pami Cylinder and piston. Your head and cases would need some work to mate up but, that would be one quick rev. 720! (Actually, it would be more thant 720 since the bore is 105.5).

Closing thought - Don't go cheap on your engine! To me that is like searching out a heart transplant Dr. by price rather than by reputation. There are some places I just don't believe it pays to try to save money (Unless. . . YOU are a competent mechanic that isn't afraid to take it apart a few times before it is right!)

This is what you get because my Dad made me take typing in school. The fingers can go forever! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks DuneMe!! Where would I get a head gasket for this kit?

Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

guys wait until ds days are over, we will all be together. duneme has a 680 i have a 720 azsand has a pami760 gary will have a tvi 760+, plus who knows what jeff will bring, tony and mario have samcoe products, i think we are honest enough to let you know how things go, i know i will. i personally couldn't tell you anything about a samcoe product no one around here has one, i do know i was a little concerned after azsand experience, and we all know he will tell it like it is. as far as what is best and what isn't, i think woods is one of the easiest to run and put together and all, but unless you are dsmike you might be left wanting. the pami 760 is a known product, i think everyone knows how it does, it is that 6900 dollars that most question, that is another quad say the new yzf, for guys that want to win the most that is all good, the 2500 for a race head 720 is difficult for most, plus this is money that is gone for the most part. well this is a subject that could go on all day and a year. i'm very happy with the tvi 720, questioning the engine at this point is hard to do i can only think of 5 guys on here that have one, and i don't know of any over a year old. i think samcoed is the one with the most experience with that engine. i know when i run mine it get peoples attention, and isn't that what we all want, to make the ds as fast as we all know it to be? well good luck on the shopping. guess a year fom now there will three more choices[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well I can tell you that all the issues for the Samcoe 720 are resolved, no thanks to me! If you want to go with one of his kits then I would just be leary of his Customer Service! You can go up to a 103mm bore, that is what a 733 is. The problem is that 5 people need to want to build one so you can get the pistons made. Samcoe is the only one who had the 103mm piston built and it is only built to work with a stroked crank. I am sure if you guys all pooled up that would want to go to the 103mm bore could probably get Gary at TVI to have a batch of pistons made up for you. If you guy's want to go with a 720 kit from Samcoe which I don't highly recommend unless you just can't spare the extra cash for a TVI, then I might be willing to tell you what you need to do to get it to work properly for you. Anyway you are in for some healthy downtime and expense, but it is all worth it in the end. Long, Live the big bores!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I don't feel personally that the Stroker motors are the way to go, they are great but to costly for the gains. If you really want something you can depend on with some warranty then I suggest going with TVI. I beleive there may be another builder with in the next year who I beleive will build kits for the DS that is going to put a hurt on everyone else. I understand my buddy jeremy over at HBR has just purchased himself one and he will be doing the mods to it personally. And this kid doesn't settle for second place! Good luck on your choice and if you for some reason do decide to go with a Samcoe kit then I will try and help you out with it the best I can. Good Luck

Old 08-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
Thanks DuneMe!! Where would I get a head gasket for this kit?
Pami has the head gaskets for the 102mm bore, 105.5 mm bore and I think they also have a 103.5mm bore??? (check their web-site.) I think the 830 is a 108 or 108.5 mm bore and they should have the head gaskets for those as well.

The 102 and the 105.5 are a three-piece gasket that doesn't require sealant. They also offer the gaskets that do require sealant (old style) and any size they don't have the 3-piece for would be an old style gasket (which still works very well.)

Sam Coe or TVI would have their own head gaskets (I don't know the difference between the individual kits so, I don't know if their head gaskets are the same.

Cometic makes many of the gaskets so you can try them if you are making up your own bore.

Tony (Punisher) glad to hear yours is working for you. I'm sure I will be polishing my teeth from your Roost at DS Days (Please don't roost me too bad, I don't have much enamel left [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Can't wait to see TVI vs. Sam Coe!

Will there be a 703 there this year? Oh, forgot. . . Jeff's little bike (as AZSAND would say it)! Wonder how the 703 will do against the 720's???

Old 08-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

man, to me this was like 2 pages of russian dialog...LMAO. I appreciate all the groovy help you guys have put in this thread for me. But as i read, it has become appearent that i need to learn alot more about the motor, for I understood nothing after "what do you want" was wrote....LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Shoot I thought it was as simple as me saying " here is my engine...I'll be back(in my best arnold voice)..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:" Not what I was expecting to say the least. This really leaves me wondering what would be the best way to go. So far it sounds like the 102 is the best way to go, but hell i cant do this crap myself. I barely made it through my oil change alive...LOL J/K

However, I really do appreciate ALL the help you all have put in. Once again makes my glad I found a site with such friendly knowledge!

Sandman, I will be anticipating that report [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Kenny

Old 08-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

SO I can get a 102mm bore gasket from TVI, Sam Coe, Pami, and right from cometic then right? Thanks again! What brand choices of 102mm piston do I have? I would want a 11.5:1, no higher.... JE? where else?

Old 08-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pure: I suggest the Ron Wood stage 3 kit for you. The top end isn't that tough to do. Is there anyone that lives near you that could help you out for your first time? If not and you really want to do the build. . .let us know. . . I'm sure there are enough of us here that could help you. There are a number of builders that you can send your engine to and get what you want for a reasonable price. I think the 703 would be good for you if you want to pull the engine out (again, not tough if you have others to guide you through it.) The 703 is probably just a little more expensive than the Ron Wood Stage 3 (depending on your current mods.) The 703 is much more powerful than the Stage 3 (IMO.) Let us know and we can help you source a good builder for this. Reputation is HUGE here as some of the old-timer DS guys will tell you (Aw Nuts! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Push: You'll have to call / e-mail around to see who has the piston and gaskets available. I think it is a JE piston but, it may be a Pami design so only available through Pami (or likewise TVI, etc.) Same thing for the gaskets through Cometic. If you get the Pami piston make sure you get the one that is suitable for the stock head. Pami does a "squish" thing to their heads that could cause a clearance issue with a stock head. If you decide to go with the 102 let us know what the total cost of the build will be. I'm sure there will be many people interested in what it costs.

Quick Reply: Which bore kit...(better?) LOL