CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

cutting spring...are you happy w/ the outcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting spring...are you happy w/ the outcome

gaskett, I think I heard in science class that a cut spring had a higher spring rate due to the lost flexing of the removed coils. So now the 5 inch spring compressed to 4 inches is what? My head hurts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

OK. here is an experiment that Johnny Raw an I did at work. He ordered a different spring thinking that he would cut it so that he could go back to the original if the results were not good. As it turns out, the new spring was different than the old one. It was longer and had thinner wire.

So. we decided to test it by drilling a hole in a piece of plastic and mounting it to a table. We slid one spring, a plastic spacer, then the other spring onto a screwdriver handled hex driver. Then, we put the hex driver in the hole so that the weight of the driver would compress both springs.

The longer spring actually compressed much more than the older shorter spring. Therefore, we concluded that the new spring should help acceleration, since the slide should move up faster. However, the results on the quad didn't bear this out. No noticable difference was made. It would be nice to try a before and after comparison on a dyno, but from what I have seen, I won't be changing mine soon.

We took digital photos of the experiment. So, I will probably post them here sometime soon, if anybody is interested. As a matter of fact, if anybody has any ideas on how we can refine the experiment, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

That sounds like me. When I ordered an extra spring it was long & thinner. So I was like which one shouls I use? I want one just like my stocker to cut.