CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another darn JETTING question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another darn JETTING question....

Imagine this...

I walk into the parts store to look at 'mikuni' jets....

I found two different style pilot jets but managed a #45 in the correct style.
And just for the heck of it, I bought a 190. I brought it home and compated it to the 185 I had.

HOLY CRAP'OLA batman.... the 185 is huge compared to the 190. The 190 was hex headed jet supposedly for a Mikuni. Now my 185 doesn't say anything on it except the "torx" symbol and 185. Anyone know why the 185 is so much larger?? Or maybe the 190 I bought is something totally off. Who knows. So much for me thinking all jets worked on the same theory.... Confusing as jetting already is!

J-

Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Since getting to the jet on a stock carb is so easy you may just want to find a Snap-On dealer. My neighbor owns an ATV shop and he says he just buys small jets and drills them out. Snap-On, Mac and other tool trucks carry jet drill bits so you can gradually step up as you need to. The only problem is if someone else take the carb out and sees a 125 jet they may use that as a reference. That is what the shop that did my jetting did. They could step up gradually and could get it perfect[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Good luck.

Justin

Old 08-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

your needle is too lean - whether its a dynojet needle or mikuni.

somehow you gotta find out what's in the carb - dynojet or mikuni. if its a mikuni needle, you otta be on the bottom groove, but if its a dynojet needle you otta be on the 3rd from the top, with your open airbox.

you'll know by this : dynojet needle has 6 grooves, the stock mikuni needle has 5. if you got a dynojet needle, you otta have dynojets main jet too, so now you know what that is. if using dynojet main, you're prolly a bit lean, but if that's a 185 mikuni you're prolly a little fat.

the 45 pilot is a good move, I used a 45 pilot at sealevel too, on the stocker, helped cold starts too. and I ran dynojet needle 3rd groove, lidless, 195 main. ran like a striped ape, with a beautiful soot free tan plug and no black, RWR exhaust at the time.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 03 BAJA with a trinity stage IV pipe, RWR cdi, k&n filter and I had the same problem after rejeting the main. My solution was the RWR 45mm mukuni flat slide. It was prejetted by RWR and seems to be spot on. The stock carb with just the main rejetted is extremly lean at low speed (1600) acording to the EGT meter. The exhaust temp. shouldnot exceed 1400 I have been told.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

hmmm...

Hightower, great advice. Now how do I find out about that darn main jet and it's upbringing? Where it's from? Like I said in older posts.... it's got a symbol on it, like a TORX head with 185 beside it. Stamped on the screwdriver slot end. Not on the side. Ideas??

I'll pull the carb again to see about the needle, but I think it's stock as it was on the second from top when I just moved it.

Carbs back together now. When I started it.... choked at first, then choke off within a couple seconds... it got warm, but when blipping the throttle is still pops and flutters. I let it warm up more... and still, a little sputtering. And a couple pops plus some hiccups back through the carb and to the air filter. Hmmmmm....

* I wish I knew more about carbs and jetting! * This is frusterating for me as I can do almost everything else... in all I do everyday. Jetting's just a pain in da ****!

I've run the Edelbrock Quicksilver Pumper on my XR650... what a dream carb. And I don't really wanna buy a new one for the DS.... but.... can I get some more on the main jet?! Should I take a good picture of it so someone could really tell me what the heck it is?!?!?

Let me know... I want this thing to be spot on next time I run my buddy.... and the dunes!
I'll do what it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

J.A. , is the hole in the jet that much bigger or is the actual size of the whole jet phically bigger ? If it has a star symbol on it than its a mikuni jet BUT... they make 2 different size jets . The one you need should be a 1/4 in. socket to remove it.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since the Jet kit came from Ron Woods, you might try asking them. Just a thought...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

Bell... The jet is a slotted jet (removed by a screw driver flat blade).... not a hex.
The 190 I bought today is a hexed head and says "190 RD" on the side of the jet.
(It was supposed to be a Mikuni jet, but the hole sizes are incredibly different. Jets are relatively same size. I've seen the hex headed jets before that are larger... like for my bike carb. But this isn't the case here.)
Does this help explain the jet any better?!

I'll call Ron Woods tomorrow as that crossed my mind too. I just hate trying to explain this when they may not know what they sent.... My friend just bought a jet kit from them a couple months ago, and I put the kit in (it was just a main jet). But do I remember what it was?! NO! DUH!

New issue;
Does anyone with a stock carb ever get a small puddle on the floor when the bike just sits? It seems my float bowls are out of adjustment too. I get a small puddle from the black hose off the bowl. I'll adjust my floats tomorrow too when I have time. Any easy was to do this? (besides just slightly bending the tab on the bowl by the needle (seat).

Old 08-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found a good article explaining the jetting issue (not the specific brand of jet though). It may help.
Click here

As for the puddle issue, I haven't encountered that one yet...

Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 AM
sam
Pro Rider

just a shot here
check your plugs change if needed, I found that if the plugs start to foul it will pop and not run right.
just a shoot in the dark about the jet you say it has a torx letter next to the # could that be a "K" for keihin jet, I dont know if it will fit.
also comparing the mukini jet to the dyno jet 180 to 180 the mukini jet for the DS the hole is bigger ( my cuz has got a dyno jet kit in his DS ). the hex jet is't corect its the round sloted jet.
the # 45 pilot is should help maybe try the next size bigger.
I found this combo #45 pilot 172.5 mukini main, needle 3rd from top, air 2.5 turns out air box lid on. all stock parts. I know it sounds weird but if I leave the air box lid off and rejet I lose drag races. hope this helps
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Another darn JETTING question....