CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another darn JETTING question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another darn JETTING question....

Okay...
I see all the posts on jetting, box lid on/off... snorkels...etc...etc....
And ya know... I'm still in awe at all the different sizes everyone runs for a main jet with a stock carb. It's all over the friggin board. NOW.... I'm confused.

Here's my story;
I bought my bike from the dealer, and had them install the "jet kit" from Ron Woods. They also put on my Ron Woods pipe ...etc (how nice huh?!) BUT... I'm having issues. Here's what I've got;
- Ron Woods Full exhaust
- Stock carb (jetting... not too sure. I've never looked to see if the dealer even changed it!)
- mostly sea level riding
- No CDI (not yet anyway)
- PPD airbox (no lid or snorkels with this box)
- K&N filter with outerwear

Here's my issues;
It seems to not want to start too easily. It's very tempermental. It'll get going... but the second I even touch the thottle... it'll die, unless it's warmed up. Not a big issue there.... however once it's warm I'll run through the gears and do my thing. With an occasional *FoooF* from the airbox, like a backward backfire. It'll pop a little with that foof... but just once. Just like it had a bad case of ONE hiccup! A couple times in a turn, it's done it again. It's enough to almost send me over the bars. Like I'm on the gas... hard... and a loss of momentary power. Sucks. This will happen about a handfull in a days ride if not more.

I'm going home tonight to check my jetting. TO make sure it was changed. I think when I do that, I'll cut 4 wraps off my carb spring too....(any other suggestions?!) My questions are these;

- What's stock jetting and needle/clip settings??
- What's a good starting point for the main?
- Starting point for the needle sinze and clip position?

And let me apologize first for beating a dead horse... But with the chart I looked at... there's nothing about elevation on those bikes. Not that those bikes are being elevated. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But you get where I'm going... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just hate talking about something that's already been talked about until it's blue in the face.... Maybe I'm a little ignorant... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

I believe my stock jet was a 165 and i went to the 195 with a carb mount knn. I whent 2 3/4 turns out (i think) on new screw. All i have is the endcap mod, and i am at about 800-900ft elevation.

Hope that helps.

I also drilled the two little holes out on the vacuum slide. I used a 1/8" drill bit. I cut about 5 coils off of the spring. For me this set up seems to be "spot on" for i have no back pops anymore, and zero dead spots.

Kenny

Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Stock makuni is a 160 I believe and second clip freom the top I think. Not sure what kit you got from Elliot, (guess i could look befor I post this, naw) but if your running Makuni jets then start with a 170 with the clip on the 3rd notch. If its a dyno kit or similar then start withy the 180 main and same clip possition.
Also set the pilot screw to 2 1/2 to 2 /3/4 turns out. To start with.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Oops 165...Thanks PureIntimidation, it's been a very long time since I had the stock carb on. Although it doesn't sound like the main is your problem any way. My guess is needle clip position and pilot scew adjustment.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, np I was sitting second guessing myself as well...lol

I believe i put mine in the third clip as well

Old 08-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a slip-on and a uni in the airbox with the lid off. I have a 180 main a new needle with my dynojet kit and went to a 45 pilot. It is perfect at our elevation (1500ft.) for the summer, but will be a little lean once winter shows up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Good luck with the jetting. It is more of an art then science.

Justin

p.s. I also had my jetting done by a local shop with an EGA (exhaust gas analyzer) so I know it is perfect.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Okay...

I opened it up and found;

- Dynojet 185 (I'm pretty sure it's a Dyno as it's flat on top)
- 2 clips from top (needle)
- 2 1/4 turns out
- Pilot jet is a 40

I'm going to drill out the holes to 1/8th and cut the spring 5 coils.
I'll change the clip to 3rd position
And screw to 2 3/4 turns

NOW....
Is the Dyno 185 rich enough?
I see the chart tells me it's a 174 or so Mikuni.
I'd rather be richer... than leaner since I ride this thing like a bat outa hell in the dunes (Glamis)
And should I change the pilot to a little richer for those hard starts in the morning?!

Come on DSers!!! Let me know your ideas/opinions!

Old 08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

You will know if its a Dyno Jet by the letters DJ in front of the 185. These don't translate the same as the stock jets. And I don't recall the conversion. I'm running a DJ185 on mine and still have a small flat spot near the top end. I'm going to try the 190 next. (Sea level on the East Coast)

Old 08-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

ahhh... No DJ185, it actually has a little star lookin' thing before the 185. Like a torx symbol.

So, does that mean it's a Mikuni?!?!?! IF so... that's pretty darn rich.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

You're probably really lean on the bottom, so I would try at least a 45 pilot. This should help. I have to go to a 50 before winter. The top end doesn't sound that bad and you can always do a plug test to be sure.

Justin

Quick Reply: Another darn JETTING question....