CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

BacK from DS Days Early!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BacK from DS Days Early!

Ok after a little sleep I'm feeling a little better.

I want to give a big thanks to AZSand for bringing me on this trip. I had a blast. He is a great guy and a great friend.

It was great meeting all you guys,
Jeff, (awesome rail ride man, that thing is bad, thanks again) ( and your bikes are top notch too)
Sean, great meeting and riding with you and your dad.
Tony, great meeting you, good luck with your bike and condolenses to you and your family.
Mario, awesome riding, drinking, and hanging with you and your wife. We'll hook up in Vegas in Nov.
Bill and Shelly, you guys are great, I had a blast talking and riding with you guys. Races were awesome and Shelly can really get up that hill.
Gary and TVI crew were great, always willing to help and it was fun hanging with you guys. NICE bikes he's got.
Mark, great meeting you that 680 is a runner we had some great races. Good luck with that new project[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Jim, what can I say. Jim is a great guy, I consider him a great friend and look forward to seeing and riding with him again. He is a great rider too, and he is always right there with a wrench when something needs to be done.

I hope I didn't forget anyone. I had an awesome time and am going back next year. Great riding and great people.

I was very pleased with my bike. Not the fastest out there by any means but it did run good. Jim and I did make a jetting change on Sat and it made a big difference, I was pulling the top of the hill much better Sat and Sun. And I was getting out of the hole a little better too. I think it suprised some people. Specially with Tim on it. He was king of the hill Sat night. He was letting banshees get thru the whoops before he even took off and was just clowning them at the top. People were just shaking there heads and leaving. I love sitting at the bottom of the hill listening to people speculate what was done to it. I was sitting on AZ's med bike when some guy looks over at me and asked if my bike was that fast. I got a big smile on said, that is my bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I think I found my FSW rider......

As far as AZ's big bike goes.....WOW. I took it to the hill and just mopped up. One run I took off in first and rode a wheelie all the way thru 4th. By that time I had half hilled everyone up there. People were coming up to me saying that's the fastest fourstroke I've ever seen. It was insanly fast and not even tuned in right. It was running better the next day but I didn't ride it.

Here's how the weekend went down

Jeff
2001rappy2001
AZSand
Sparks
didn't matter
didn't matter
didn't matter

However Sandmans and Annihilators 720's and Duneme's 680 made VERY good showings. And Punisher's bike was doing good too.

Anyways I could go on forever but I'll stop here.

Old 09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

first question I have:

what does 2001rappy2001 ride? A raptor or DS? Is it the TVI 770? on NOS?

Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

2001raptor2001 rides a 727 raptor

Old 09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I thought that 2001raptor2001 was gary's rider, oh well.

Another question:

Given all the modified DS's running the hill, was it obvious what paddle tire worked best? 8, 10, 12 paddles? 22" or 25"? extremes or tripple buffs? taller haulers/rippers? Swingarm length plays a big roll in this though. I have 22x11x8 10 paddle tripple buffs, 72 rollout, running +8 swingarm and they don't hook up, so I need to decide quickly what tire I need.

more questions coming...

Old 09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

there was a wide variety of everything running there. I believe the best tire combo is the triple buff with the titanium axle because you lose 20 pounds of rotating mass, that will make a big difference. There were all different length swingarms too. 2001raptor2001 on his raptor was still running a stock swingarm, crazy. There were an assortment of swingarm sizes there. Hard to say. Sean

Old 09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

and the number of paddles depends on the bike, i believe most were running 10's, don't quote me on that though

Old 09-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dave:

Biggest thing I noticed was what a difference weight made.

Sand Mt. is tough to judge. The conditions change from season to season. For DS Days the sand is usually very light / dry.

Whoops weren't bad either (nothing like Glamis!)

Really, the hill is long enough that HP and weight will win most of the time. (Great hill for your old Turbo!)

I have a stock swing-arm and KM (probably my closest competitor) had a +4. KM would throw a serious roost off the line (maybe because of the +4 and less weight on the rear he could spin the tires more???) I have + 1 A-arms and didn't have too much of a problem with the front end coming up this weekend.

Both of us are what I would call a stage III + (I have the 102mm bore and he has the FCR carbs. I have 11:1 compression on pump gas 91 octane, KM has ____ compression on ______ fuel???

What tires were you running KM? What gearing? What gear were you starting in?

I was running the 22X10X10 - 9 paddle extremes with probably too much air in them, 15/42 gearing and starting in first gear (then to second right away.)

Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jetsnow600
there was a wide variety of everything running there. I believe the best tire combo is the triple buff with the titanium axle because you lose 20 pounds of rotating mass, that will make a big difference. There were all different length swingarms too. 2001raptor2001 on his raptor was still running a stock swingarm, crazy. There were an assortment of swingarm sizes there. Hard to say. Sean
2001Raptor2001 runs a +4 swingarm (welded stocker - hard to notice). And I still saw the grab bar hit the sand on one of his take-offs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 12.5 :1 piston and I was running around a 100 octane give or take a couple.

I was running 22x11x10 9 paddle extremes with 14\40 gearing also with to much air. Most of the time I was starting in first. In first I felt that I spun too much off the line in second I felt I bogged a little. I should have made a gearing change. I should have made that jetting change Friday instead of Saturday.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I was running 16/40 gearing,73" roll out triple buffs (8 paddle)
2001raptor2001 was running 69" rollout triplebuffs (8 paddle),AZSAND I think was running a 72" rollout 8 paddle triple buffs?maybe 9 paddle?

My take offs seemed to suffer alittle..I had 5lbs in my tires,I think if I dropped down to 4lbs I would have launched better

Quick Reply: BacK from DS Days Early!