CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

just got back from silver lake sand dunes...want/need new pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got back from silver lake sand dunes...want/need new pipe?

we just got back from riding the silver lake sand dunes (my second time)
this time i had on my MBRP full race exhaust with *sprak arrestor* (i use * because the one that came in it blew out, so i kind of MADE my own! *DONT TELL THE DNR !!!*) they BARELY let me get in... (the woman asked if i "put it in myself" and i said it was like that when i got it")

anyway,...this pipe is pretty loud....and the whole spark arrestor thing is kind of annoying (i did receive two new screens from mbrp today that i got back but i dont know how long they will last....)

so right now im considering a new slip-on pipe... first off will any pipe fit the MBRP header? (im almost positive its the same setup as stock as far as spring and coupling from header to slip on) *i know the ron woods wont fit*
so what are my SPARK ARRESTED pipe options?
i want good power decent sound (dosnt have to be quiet by any means, but not somthing that can be heard 3 miles away...)
and what gives out the best power?

i know there are like 10 or more choices but i dont have experience with any of them....

also will changing a slip on make me have to rejet? (or will i be ok as long as it flows about the same as this pipe?)

i saw 5 ds' this weekend (2 baja X's, 2 bajas and an older 2000 with MANY mods) i dragged most everything at the park but unless we raced on the beach (hard wet packed sand) i didnt have a chance with my realtor tires...

anyone know of another power mod i can get that will keep me toward the front of the pack of raptors/shees and ds's? i have pipe/KN/jetted and thats it for now but im looking for more decently cheap mods

thanks in advance for any help!
i will also have pics/vids up soon hopefully
(have a few of me clearing a good bit of ground)

Old 10-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

White bros, DG, FMF, Pro Circuit

Old 10-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I think a MBRP headpipe and a WB E-Series with 18 disks would be perfect, especially for Silver Lake!!!

Old 10-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm how much are the WB and the DG?
i usually make all my orders thru rocky mountain so ill check there

are they basically the same? either have more/less power over my pipe?

Old 10-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i like the 15-42 gearing for the dunes

Old 10-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the mbrp header fits any slip-on I do believe.
as for power mod - start with sand tires, the realtors are extremely heavy and do not offer the traction of a paddle anyway. and for the DS trust me you want 22" tires, not 20". I've ran 20" vees, 20" haulers, and 22" haulers on my DS and 22" is definitely the way to go for this bike. Hualers or Edges.

I know what you mean about sparky issues - I'm on my 3rd pipe now. I started with the RWR pipe, but soon learned stainless steel is what I have to stick with for the woods I travel most and the RW also hit my swingarm with the megaphone when I jumped so I changed to Yoshimura but its sparky screen clogs over time and requires maintenance so I decided disks are the best way to go for maintenance free legality, so now I run a White Bros. with 18 disks & stock headpipe. The white bros with 12 disks matched the Yoshi I had very close in top end power, but does offer a bit better low end. with the 18 disks I just installed the top end is improved a bit, so I figure I won all the way around and have no disappointments, yet anyway. I even like the sound of it way better than any pipe I've had yet. AT this point I wish I would've bought it in the first place! I firmly believe that a disk system offers the best power curve over an open end hands down.

Oh yeah, I forgot tomention that I did buy a Graydon full system a while back too, but couldn't install it because it wouldn't fit my bike and had too many issues outa the box. Just as well, I'm sure I would've regretted going back to ceramic anyway after the winter.

Old 10-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

thats the kind of info i want to hear!
ya i used to have a FMF megamax disc system on my old quad and the adjustability cant be beat (plus silver lake dosnt check disked quads)

now to find the cheapest !

Old 10-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

I like the HMF slip-on. The price is right and you can get it with a quiet core and spark arrestor. It's a little loud but has good flow and lots of power.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Get haulers it is a must. I run 18 disks runs great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I hear that new hv46 lecton is very nice also.

Old 10-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

lol and just how much is this lectron carb?

i see your in lombard? im in dekalb....

right now im between the HMF and the white brothers...

Quick Reply: just got back from silver lake sand dunes...want/need new pipe?